CJ gas tank install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ gas tank install

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Racer268
1980 CJ5 

CJ gas tank install

Hi,

I need some assistance. The PO just let the gas tank rest on the bottom of the skid plate. He even put some corogated cardboard down to cushion it. Now It's rusted through and needs to be replaced. I don't find any means of installing straps. Shouldn't it be suspended? Can anyone explain or show me photo's?

Thanks.

Racer268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The tank has one strap to hold it into the skid plate. The skid plate then bolts up on. Places like quadratec sell the straps or even our local parts stores have them. There is a plastic liner in mine between the tank and skid plate.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Here's some photos and I'm guessing your 1980 CJ-5 gas tank mounting will be the same as the 1984 CJ-7 pictured.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Racer268
1980 CJ5 

Perfect. Thanks. I knew there had to be a strap. Just couldn't figure out where it would go. So the tank straps to the skid plate with some rubber cushion between, then the whole thing bolts to the chassis.
Racer268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

It's actually not rubber but 1/8" thick plastic sheet and it prevents chaffing and noise between the tank and skid plate.

Unread 03-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

Keith-

the pix you have on here are super...

is there an off site place like photobucket youre using?

im using YOUR pix to help me re-run my brake/fuel lines and if i can see them there, it would be easier than looking thru the WHOLE thread...

thanks!
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yes, I use photobucket. You can go there and search for Keith460 and probably come up with all the albums with hundreds of photos.

The iPhone does not allow me to paste a URL shortcut.

Unread 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer268 View Post
Hi,

I need some assistance. The PO just let the gas tank rest on the bottom of the skid plate. He even put some corogated cardboard down to cushion it. Now It's rusted through and needs to be replaced. I don't find any means of installing straps. Shouldn't it be suspended? Can anyone explain or show me photo's?

Thanks.
From your post, I m not sure what rusted through (tank or skid), but if it was the tank, then I would suggest replacing it with a poly tank. By doing that you do not need the plastic liner.

When I replaced mine, I got it from MTS (they also supply them to Quadtrac, etc). They were very helpful and also told me that their tanks were an average of 1/4 in thick eliminating the need for the liner.

Plus poly does not rust inside or out. Poly is the best way to go if the tank is what you are needing to change.

Below is a photo I took when I changed my tank from a 20 gal, back to 15. The 20 gal is still in the OEM skid assembly held in by the strap. The strap changes with the size of the tank. Your lines have to be installed before you bolt the assembly back up. Be careful not to pinch or kink the lines when you reinstall.

h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
TexasBlues
1976 CJ5 

excellent...

found it... following it...

thanks!
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Chuggins08
1984 CJ7 

not trying to hijack the thread..... but Kieth, could I ask you a question? The wire going from the sending unit to the fuel guage has what seems to be a female connector at the end going towards the front of the jeep. How does this wire get connected to the fuel guage?
Chuggins08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #11
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuggins08 View Post
not trying to hijack the thread..... but Kieth, could I ask you a question? The wire going from the sending unit to the fuel guage has what seems to be a female connector at the end going towards the front of the jeep. How does this wire get connected to the fuel guage?
Sent you a PM on the same question asked in the message.

There should be a 'pink' colored wire that the sending unit plugs into and it is part of the wiring harness for the tail lights.
The pink wire goes to another plug under the dash by the parking brake pedal and continues onto the gauge in the speedometer which is also pink in color.

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
Chuggins08
1984 CJ7 

Yeah my bad, I appreciate it man
Chuggins08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.