CJ Front Bench Seat - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Front Bench Seat

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
MoC- As Dave mentioned mine came out of a Comanche that I found in our local junk yard. I got it for $30. It needs a seat cover which I will get around to one day. I had to build the frame for it. One of the biggest benefits, for me, is that I have more room with the bench. I made the frame so the seat sits a little lower... plenty of steering wheel clearance and head room. I'm 6'3" and 225. The Comanche bench fits pretty well. I don't know about a Ranger bench, but it is probably more comfortable! I have some foam to restuff my bench when I feel motivated enough to pull the seat out. Also, since I don't care about anyone having access to the back of my Jeep, I am not concerned that my bench is not split. It does tilt forward however if needed.
Oh no! Have you sat in it yet? My Comanche's bench seat was the most uncomfortable torture device I've ever had the displeasure of sitting in. My back would literally ache days after a long road trip. I swapped it for some XJ buckets. The old bench is still sitting in my garage if anyone out there is looking for a torture device. I would rate it slightly above waterboarding in terms of severity of discomfort. [Shudders]

Unread 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Oh no! Have you sat in it yet? My Comanche's bench seat was the most uncomfortable torture device I've ever had the displeasure of sitting in. My back would literally ache days after a long road trip. I swapped it for some XJ buckets. The old bench is still sitting in my garage if anyone out there is looking for a torture device. I would rate it slightly above waterboarding in terms of severity of discomfort. [Shudders]
Waterboarding!?!? YIKES! Yeah, this seat has that typical hole drilled into it by somebody's big butt, so you kind of slide into it no matter where you sit! In the past, I have used close-cell foam to "rebuild" the integrity of the seat. 3/4" sheets work great. Remove the factory cover, place the foam where you want it, including lumbar support, and cover it back up. The upholstery is much harder to put back on with the cushion reformed. Works good. I may holler back at ya once Clay's rig is done... he may want your seat if you still have it.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Waterboarding!?!? YIKES! Yeah, this seat has that typical hole drilled into it by somebody's big butt, so you kind of slide into it no matter where you sit! In the past, I have used close-cell foam to "rebuild" the integrity of the seat. 3/4" sheets work great. Remove the factory cover, place the foam where you want it, including lumbar support, and cover it back up. The upholstery is much harder to put back on with the cushion reformed. Works good. I may holler back at ya once Clay's rig is done... he may want your seat if you still have it.
It's free for the price of shipping. I'd be happy to be rid of it. The lack of any lumbar support whatsoever was probably the worst part of it. With some custom foam work it could probably be made tolerable.
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
2+1 or 243+1 *comfortably*

Skerr put a Comanche bench in his CJ7, check it out in his build thread.
like i always say, my jeep seat 3 to 4 people. 3 guys or me and three girls.
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #20
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

There's an original CJ front bench for sale on the Early CJ5 classifieds, it's from a 74 but could probably be made to fit a substandard 76-86 CJ http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84247
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #21
cjarmyjeeper
1978 CJ5 

Pathkiller, I've been looking at doing the bench seat install on my 78 CJ5. What's your Comanche seat look like? Are you still looking to get rid of it?
cjarmyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #22
ricewt

1979 CJ7 

I have a bench seat in my 79 CJ7 with a floor shifter. To be honest, I thought some PO had transfered in from an older truck. Perhaps not? Interesting. Whenever I get around to rebuilding, I will beputting bucket seats in since I would rather have a console and no interest personaly in having more than 2 people ride up front.
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #23
RjTack
1985 CJ7 

Here are some pics of the 2/3 seats I have. I would love to trade these for a good set of high backs and rear fold-n-tumble.....anyone?

RjTack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
ricewt

1979 CJ7 

Well heck, those are the same as mine except mine are black. Guess maybe they are original. Cool and thanks for posting pics!
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarmyjeeper View Post
Pathkiller, I've been looking at doing the bench seat install on my 78 CJ5. What's your Comanche seat look like? Are you still looking to get rid of it?
I'd love to get rid of it. But shipping it would be cost prohibitive, not to mention time prohibitive on my part. I'm sure you can find something similar locally.
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I think pretty much any small P/U seat will fit. You're still going to have to build a bracket for it. Check out junkyards for Comanches, Cherokees, Rangers, etc, just to name a few. You can probably save a few bucks. My bench cost $30 from a Comanche.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #27
cjarmyjeeper
1978 CJ5 

I'm going to have to put some more effort into my search. I'd really love to have a factory lowback bench like RjTack is showing above.

The problem I have is that I'm in New Orleans. Everything usable in the junk yards has been there less than 5 years (Hurricane Katrina). I've never found a CJ in a junkyard here and only once have I found a YJ. The Ranger seat may be the way to go but I really thing the seat backs are too high for a CJ5 with a fixed tailgate. I think it would severly limit access to the rear.

Like I said I'm going to have to put some more effort in my search....

Skerr, I really like to bench install. Kudos
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #28
Alby63
1982 CJ5 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...item3cb48de56b
Unread 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarmyjeeper View Post
I'm going to have to put some more effort into my search. I'd really love to have a factory lowback bench like RjTack is showing above.

The problem I have is that I'm in New Orleans. Everything usable in the junk yards has been there less than 5 years (Hurricane Katrina). I've never found a CJ in a junkyard here and only once have I found a YJ. The Ranger seat may be the way to go but I really thing the seat backs are too high for a CJ5 with a fixed tailgate. I think it would severly limit access to the rear.

Like I said I'm going to have to put some more effort in my search....

Skerr, I really like to bench install. Kudos
Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry, but I don't understand the relationship between a bench seat and the tailgate?? If you have a solid seat, like I have, you will definitely lose the ability to sit in the seat and provide rear access, like a split bench does. But the bench still folds down. You just have to fold it before you sit in it. I think you can find an older model Ranger (early 80s??) that has a low back bench with removable headrests? A good target to check out.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #30
cjarmyjeeper
1978 CJ5 

Skeer, I was looking at it from the perspective of cargo access to the rear area. Getting my dog into the rear area or loading a cooler or something else into the back thru one of the doors. I'm looking for something that is either a split bench, (Nice find Alby, I've been 'watching' it for the last couple days) for loading purposes or a bench with a back that isn't too tall and can fold over near level.

Now, I can access thru the rear soft top window but here's the potential problem. I'm running 33"s and 2.5" of lift. Even though I'm 5'11", it makes it kinda hard to grab something from the rear of the jeep over the fixed tailgate. Especially if it slid foward towards the front seats.

I'm looking at it this way, the more access I have to the rear area the more likly I am to use it, and the less likely to complain about it. That said, 8 months out of the year it won't be a problem because the top will be off....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.