Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

cj frame cracked....replacment frame or 1 ton frame for cj

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  PavementPounder 
#1 ·
Well, after long hard years of abuse...ok ill cut the emo stuff now.

Anyways, on my driverside front frame rail right behind the front leaf spring shackle there is some hole in the frame, its actually on both sides. I assume its factory. But anyways, Apparently now there is a small crack on the top and bottom of that hole extending about a inch and a half.

I can easily just straighten out the frame, or i can replace it. As I am saving about 1100 bucks a month just for the jeep and im not really going to be able to do anything with the money till i am home in august of 2011. I have already bought lots of stuff for my drivetrain. Performance parts for the engine (big big power), RE extreme duty YJ spring, and pretty much rebuild and upgrad kits for my tranny and t-case.

But having this crack there is telling me that my frame is already weak. Its probably going to happen again as i did not do that hard of wheeling on it when it was new (to me) because i didnt want to destroy the weak parts. There is no rust like whatsoever on the jeep, except for little spots of pesky surface rust that is so thin it comes off easily. Its mostly because of off roading and mud gettin stuck to it causing the rust. Other than that feble rust its clean as a whistle.

I am going for 1 ton axles and obviously now I have to fix my frame. I got to thinkin while talkin with my brother-in-law (XJ jeeper) about just replacing the frame with a 1 ton frame and cutting it down a little and keeping the axles. There is like no way i am going to run the same engine that comes with the frame because I already have about 3600 invested in performance parts for the engine tranny and t case. Most of it is for the engine lol.
Also too many people have them dang 350's in their....uumm everything. Everyone and their mother has a 350, so im keepin the 351 and gonna name the jeep something cliche.

I was basically just checkin with yall if yall think ii should just replace the frame with a frame from a 1 ton chevy and replace the front axle with a ford d60. Cut down the frame a few inches and maybe leave a few inches and give it a little stretch. I know all the junk yard owners real well so i can probably get it at a good price. I also want the frame replaced cause I am going to have massive amounts of power (pushing 450-500 hp and tq) so it might be best to get a stronger frame.

All I would really need to do is remove and relocate all the brackets for shocks, drivetrain, if the leaf mounts are different sizes replace those. Hhhmmm what else, I dont really have the time to do a tube frame and i also do want to do one cause if i do I will go OVERBOARD and there will probably only be a jeep hood and grille left over lol. Im thinking that if i get a 1 tone frame it will be really deep and when i do the SOA and install the RE springs ill have some stupid amounts of lift that will make it retarded off road for my use. Im also gonna be runnin 39 inch pit bulls. Id rather not return my RE 4.5 extreme duty YJ springs, but i really dont know how much clearance ill have between the axles and frame if i dont use it.

I guess by doing this Ill have to put the camaro in storage and clear out the garage and bring my welder and goodies from my corner in the shop home.

What do yall think. Straighten and fix the frame or replace frame with beafy frame?

See less See more
#2 ·
All I can say is that a Ford D60 is driver's side drop and it's not going to work for you.

You need a passenger side drop like a Chevy or a Dodge if you are using any Jeep transfer case with a passenger side front output.

#3 ·
hahaha sorry about that just a brain fart lol. Its been awhile since i have even seen my jeep....stupid korea.

#4 ·
You are right, the frame is on it's last legs when it cracks there. They rot out from the inside so they still have a nice coat of paint left, but nothing under it. The metal gets crystallized and cracks.

#6 ·
bleh. i dont really want to spend 1700 on a frame. I think id rather just buy a chevy frame and cut 'er up a bit.

Anyone know the stock width between frame rails on the Cj5, Is the frame staggered in width?

#8 ·
cool beans.

Now I just want to see how much bigger the frames are on a 1 ton. hhmm which to use, I expect it'll be to wide also. No problem if I do get a 1 ton frame.

Got to thinkin last night maybe i should sell the jeep...maybe for parts since its got alot of good parts. For sure get another jeep, but ill need something I can drive everyday as my other vehicle went bye bye. HHHmmm tj? or a xj(that hurts to type)?

Either way what ever vehicle I have Ill end up swapping out the axles for something bigger, Id rather just completely eliminate weak stuff...thats alot of weak stuff thats gonna need replacing lol.

Any suggestions?

#9 ·
Even the majority of frames under a 1 ton truck are an open c-channel that's liable to flex. I have an F450 that I can put in a major misalignment if the front axle is flexing the opposite way of the rear axle. The same can be said for my F250 which can be bound up enough that the tailgate won't open.

You want to avoid frame flex with a CJ. Personally I believe that you'd have less work constructing a new frame out of box tubing rather than modifying something that would need modifications on multiple planes.

#10 ·
hah..i was thinkin that and just waiting for someone to say that.

#12 ·
Nice stock TJ's roll around in el paso and the surrounding area for about 5,500.

But there is a Tj and a xj on there right now that are modified quite a bit for really cheap but they are a little too beat up. If I buy a TJ or a XJ im gettin something nicer. Not a new Tj cause they dont really float my boat. id like a TJ but i need a little more room. I dont like the fact that xjs dont have a frame...that just urks me. I dot know. I dont really want a Tj cause Ill be going with a long arm kit, but my buddy has one and there is alot of play in the suspension. Like major body roll even when he accelerates and decelerates, i didnt like it. It felt like the jeep was pivoting on the suspension for no reason. Make sense?

I am thinkin about strppin the cj for engine tranny and t case and sellin that separate. Then just parting out the body and stuff.

Any suggestions I am very open to ideas.

#13 ·
Well, i might be leaving the jeep world. Or i might not, if not my cj will be kept as a dedicated trail rig. But I am getting a 02 2500 cummins. I might part out my jeep, i might sell it as a whole or i might just keep it. We will see how it goes in two years when i finally get home.

I need a big truck that can actually haul stuff cause we I do alot of heavy hauling, and by heavy i mean 44 ft long 8 1/2 foot tall full width box trailiers and 44 ft car haulers.

Either way once i get my truck ill be savin up for a '00 rubi and just throw some 33's and a long arm and call it a day.

Im lining up a job with the el paso sheriffs department right now, so I know ill be busy workin and not have to much time to play fix my joopdee jeep.

But i know this....once a jeeper always a jeeper...so i still have a joop somehow.

#15 ·
haha where you at in el chuco town lol. Im from far east..montwood and joe battle right behind the home depot. It will be a little hard to meet up with you cause im...well on the other side of the world in South Korea for the army lol. I go on leave in late june for about 30 days hopefully. But i wont actually be back for good till 2011. lol

#17 ·
Boo cougars...well if you want..i can show you how to off road? haha

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.