CJ fiber tub not fitting CJ frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ fiber tub not fitting CJ frame

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2002, 08:31 AM   #1
YBSTUK

CJ fiber tub not fitting CJ frame

Ok, here's my situation. i'll try to keep it simple. I recently purchased a "project" jeep. it started out as 2 jeeps, supposedly a 1980 CJ7, and a 1982 CJ7. well, i've got a used fiberglass tub that was on the 1980, and i've got the frame that was from the 1982. i never looked at this when i bought it (never crossed my mind to), but the 3 side body mounts on the '82 frame, don't match the 3 side body mounts on the fiberglass tub from the '80. i looked to the internet for some dimensions, and i did find some, but nothing that tells me the distances between the body mounts (front-back wise). what i'm looking for, is for those dimensions of the CJ7 body mounts (primarily the 3 side ones on each side). I don't currently have the dimensions of my frame or the tub yet, but i will measure those, and post those, so that maybe someone could tell me what i have going on here. my first instinct (as a solution) would be to relocate the body mounts on the frame, to line up with the holes on the tub, but i just want to be sure that's the thing to do before i go modifying the frame. I have a YJ, and i also started to think that maybe it's a YJ tub, and not a CJ tub, but i measured my YJ body mounts, and they don't line up with at all with the tub, nor with the frame. One more thought (far fetched) is that i can't find any dimensions for a CJ6 frame. the main-eye bolt holes seem to measure about 49.25", so that would pretty much mean it's a CJ7 frame, but with the weird locations of the body mounts, could it be an older CJ6 frame? like i said, far fetched, but i'm at a complete loss. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!!!

Bryan

'97 XJ Stock (for now)
YBSTUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 04:38 PM   #2
ostman

I just put a YJ tub on a CJ-7 frame, the second frame mount on the tub didn't match the tub, check if the first and third mounts line up, if they do then just move the middle one like I did, glass tubs are made to match with YJ I think

Hope that helps
ostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 12:50 PM   #3
CJRUSTY

The tubs never match up. I welded a piece of 1/8"x2" angle between the second and third mount on the frame and set the tub on that.
CJRUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 06:56 PM   #4
duitinmud

tub woes

Rusty's right, they don't match up and you really don't need the 2 middle ones except to support some steel plate. I went and made my own for my CJ. And if your real good you'll put in some rollbar supports while your welding away.There are some good sites on the net, just type in your problem and you shall find.Good Luck! Just make sure the front ones are even with one another, you need those.
duitinmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
YBSTUK

thanks guys! i'm still not sure whether i'll move the mounts on the frame, or make a steel plate for each side, but thanks for all of your guys' help!! does anyone have any pics of their install of the plates? thanks again!

bryan

'97 XJ Stock (for now)
YBSTUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 08:52 AM   #6
CJRUSTY

If you move your mounts on the tub please make sure at least one bolts through the seat frame on each side for safty. I have some good pics. I need to figure out how to post them.
CJRUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.