The CJ Express - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The CJ Express

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #76
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Look at it this way folks. How often have you read a post on here where someone is frustrated by the po's (previous owners) modification or "fabrication"? That's the position you'd be putting the staff sergeant in. On top of that, as Jimdubose said above, you'd be robbing him of that gratification and accomplishment.

SemperFi staff, enjoy your stay on the rock. And thank you.

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #77
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Sorry for the delay in posting anything up here, been busy trying to finish up this school, get all my P's and Q's in order getting ready to head to Japan (trust me, they want ALL kinds of info from you and your family), and turning a massive amount of wrenches on my roommates 2006 TJ.

We went up to Big Bear this past weekend in it, and ran John Bull Trail. Here is a short clip of one of the sections -
http://youtu.be/8MmidFrQop4?hd=1

Had a blast up there, and would have loved to give it a go in my CJ, but as anyone who has been following this thread knows, that's gonna have to wait a while....but that gives me plenty of time to plan out my build. I'm going to put together a list of things that I want to do to it, then toss it up here and see what you guys and gals all think about it. Would love to get some good feedback.

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #78
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

OK, well after sitting down and doing some figuring (financially) I've come up with what my budget is going to look like when I get back to the states and finally get to start building my CJ7. Looks like I will have roughly 9k to put into it. Here are some of the ideas that I have been tossing around in my head and on paper as far as parts/build direction.

End state - want to be able to use the Express as a DD if I want to, yet still be able to get out on some nice trails and occasionally some rough trails (John Bull anyone?)

Lift - looking to comfortably clear 33's so this looks appealing to me - 4.5" Extreme Duty by Rubicon Express

I've also tossed around the idea of getting a Custom Hybrid Frame by Throttle Down Kustoms and running TJ suspension. Thoughts?

Tires - Have heard nothing but good things about these - Goodyear Duratracs 33"x12.50" R15

Wheels - Still iffy on these, but I like the look of them Series 900 Viper by Black Rock

Seats - Smittybilt XRC Racing Style Recliner and these to go along with them 3" 5-Point Harness w/ Camlock

Bumpers - Front will most likely be a custom fab job, along with the rear w/ a swingout tire carrier.

Roll cage - Already have the YJ cage installed, so I'm going to get a weld in kit that is essentially an addon to the existing cage, making it a full cage, with frame tie ins.

Axles - Already have a D44 in the rear, it just needs to get reworked (i.e. cleaned up, regeared, basically overhauled) and looking to put a D44 up front, need to do some more research on that to see what will fit, where to get it etc.

Gears/Lockers - Most likely going to go with 4.56 gears, yet haven't really settled on a locker choice, if any lockers will be used. Some advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated on this one.

Engine - It currently has the AMC 4.2L in it, but it's condition is unknown at best. I know I want fuel injection; and from what I can tell, the Chevy 4.3L V6 is quite a popular choice to drop in, just need to determine if a junkyard pull or getting a turnkey one from a retailer is the best bet. I know that fuel injected ECMs can be a huge PITA to deal with, so if anyone has any experience with that, PLEASE let me know!

That about sums it all up for what I want my CJ to be at for the time being, I'm open to critique of what you guys think, so let the comments fly!

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 03-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #79
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJensen View Post
Engine - It currently has the AMC 4.2L in it, but it's condition is unknown at best. I know I want fuel injection; and from what I can tell, the Chevy 4.3L V6 is quite a popular choice to drop in, just need to determine if a junkyard pull or getting a turnkey one from a retailer is the best bet. I know that fuel injected ECMs can be a huge PITA to deal with, so if anyone has any experience with that, PLEASE let me know!

That about sums it all up for what I want my CJ to be at for the time being, I'm open to critique of what you guys think, so let the comments fly!
Gil,
I will add my .02 regarding fuel injection on the 258 engine... I went the Junkyard TBI for my Jeep. All of the sensors, ECM, and harness came from a '90 Astro van. Some of the websites say to use a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup for the parts, but in my neck of the woods, all of the '85-'92 vintage truck are really picked over or have been crushed. Tons of Astro vans in the pull and pay yards. Total cost of JY parts was $48. had a machinist friend make the adapter plate to mate the throttle body to Jeep intake. The dimensions can be found online. I set the ECM to control both fuel and spark, so I converted my Duraspark distributor by welding the advance solid, eliminating the need for a tach filter as the Howell uses. External electric fuel pump to fit a Ford F250 pickup from Rockauto, under $60 shipped. Had to spend $75 on a speed sensor to go inline on the speedometer cable so the ECM knows when to drop back to idle. When it was all said and done, including buying EEPROMs and a burn2 from Moates, I have invested less than half of the cost of the Howell system.

It probably wasn't as problem free in installation and tuning, as an off the shelf system, yet I see threads here on JF often lamenting problems with the Howell system. I think if you can program your phone, then you can program a 4KB EEPROM... Heck, even I can program an EEPROM! Not so sure about the phone, though. Results from this conversion for me have been: increased economy (16-17MPG), smooth idle, great accelerator response, and I pass AZ emissions.

If you have the opportunity to pick up an '88ish vintage Mopar 4.0L with MPFI, with the ECM, harness, the works, I think you would be very pleased with the performance also. It is a different animal than my system, however, any of them work very well. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #80
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Nice country in the Big Bear Lake area. Been there a couple times back in the mid 80's. (but after I got back from "the rock") I don't recall any trail names but there were lots then. Here are some Marine CJ's taking a break in the snow.
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #81
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

I'm so jealous of the CJ's up there in the snow....that's all I could think about while we were up there wheeling, "Man, I wish I had my CJ!" So I had to settle for this -

I was driving the TJ...

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #82
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice thread man, thank you for your service.
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #83
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody have an e-mail address for SgtJensen?
I can't seem to find one in my contacts list, and don't remember if I ever had one. A search of my old e-mails didn't turn up anything.

Not sure he is still following this thread, but am hoping SgtJensen and his family is safe. His CJ is...
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #84
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

I left a message a while back and never heard any thing in return, so I don't know.
Unread 08-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #85
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Hope all is well.
engel016.gif

Unread 08-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #86
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Gentlemen -

Sorry about my extended leave of absence from here on the forums. It's been one thing after another since my family and I arrived here in Okinawa. Between my wife and I settling into our new house, settling in at our jobs, finding daycare for the rugrat, and trying to find time to do family stuff (if you recall, I was separated from them for a year when I was in California), I haven't had time to do much else. So let's recap:

• Moved to Okinawa, Japan
  • Got base housing, a smallish two story townhouse type dwelling (feels like a storm bunker, it's all reinforced concrete, but with carpet!)
  • Got some vehicles (we had to put ours into storage in the states) I have a 1996 Toyota Hilux Surf (4Runner), and my wife has a 1999 Honda Odessey (not a minivan here, it's a station wagon)
  • Still learning the ropes of my new job, figures the Marine Corps would send me to school for a year teaching me something, then send me somewhere and have me do a job that isn't at all related to what I was taught/have been doing for almost 10 years.
  • Adopted a dog, a 2 year old purebred female German Shepherd; named Sansa.
  • My wife and I found a hobby that we both actually agree on, so we are now both certified SCUBA divers.
  • Finally settling into a routine that works for the two of us, which is good, because we were both so used to doing our own things for a year.
I'll be sure to get some pictures up soon, but it might not be this weekend, due to the Air Force's Weather Squadron here on island forecasting the biggest typhoon in 13 years is supposed to hit Sunday. Fingers crossed that it isn't totally insane. Hope everyone is doing well and again, thank you everyone for everything.

Semper Fi

-Gil

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #87
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Glad to hear all is well. I haven't spoken to anyone who's been on the rock for well over a decade, so I have some curiosity questions, if you don't mind, when you get a chance.
-We (US military) were supposed to loose use of the island some time back. Did they renegotiate that or just extend our presence there, or what's the deal?
-Do they still sell D'absinth (the booze) there or is it now outlawed?
-Is BC street in Okinawa City still the night life center that it used to be?
-Is Sgt. Peppers and the 8-Beat clubs still there (on BC st.)?
-Can you get a good recipe for Yakisoba for me?

SemperFi
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #88
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

I'll have to look into some of those places, wife and I don't get up near Kadena a whole lot, and only been down to Naha once or twice. As for the recipe, I'll ask around.

On the CJ Express note, BioTex and I have been emailing back and forth, and after some measurements are verified, the first part will be ordered and drop shipped to him there in TX! As far as the part being installed, that's up to him and his schedule, as I know he has a project he's currently working on. I'll keep everyone posted.

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #89
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Sgt. Thanks for the update. All the very best to you and your family.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #90
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Wow...talk about reviving a dead thread! So here's an update as of late -

-The wife and I are expecting our second child, a daughter, in July.
-We survived all the typhoons, only damage was my sons Little Tyke log cabin decided to take a trip down the block.
-Just taking it a day at a time here in Oki, looking forward to when I can get back to wrenching on The Express
-Got a line on a set of new fenders, courtesy of BioTex, complete with inner fenders.
-Have finally decided on the motor setup, I plan on getting an early 90's 4.0L HO out of a Cherokee, complete with wiring, ECM, and fuel injection setup, then doing a homebrew stroker kit for it.
-Decided to go with the TDK Hybrid Frame, and snag a 4.5" lift and toss that on there, but I need to get everything up and running first.
-Time to start compiling lists and plans and drawings.....and then back to waiting.....

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.