The CJ Express - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The CJ Express

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #61
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post

I have a similar cover on my Jetta and if it sits for an extended period, I'll wash the cover while it's on the car with carwash soap and a rag.
Take it down to the washateria real late at night and run it thru one of the big machines. Yeah, you know which one.....the same one you wash all your red shoprags in.

Unread 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #62
26679cj7
1979 CJ7 

Are we going to fixer up if so I have a near perfect cj tail gate and some other parts ,can we get a list of whats needed,the tail gate is here if needed and I will ship it anywhere just for this jeep.
26679cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #63
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj7 View Post
Are we going to fixer up if so I have a near perfect cj tail gate and some other parts ,can we get a list of whats needed,the tail gate is here if needed and I will ship it anywhere just for this jeep.
While that is a very generous offer, I personally feel like we might be overstepping our boundaries a bit. SSGT Jensen has asked for help in storing his vehicle while out of the country, and I am happy to do this for a service member.

On the other hand though he may not want someone else messing with his property. IDK. I have never discussed it with him. It is a tough call!

I certainly don't want a Marine mad at me...

I would recommend contacting him and get permission first. While it is very tempting to tear into his CJ, and all, I also want to do the right thing, and hold up my end of the deal. I'm not sure modifying his property is the right thing to do if you know what I mean.

Thoughts?
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #64
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
..Thoughts?
BioTex raises some great points.

Transporting and storing a CJ is one thing, but taking the time and expense to perform repairs is another can of worms, especially on someone else's rig when they're not there to oversee the work.

One other problem is the issue of labor. Free parts are great, but if there is no time available to perform the installation, then the parts will just sit there unused. This CJ, like most others, probably needs a long list of repairs and that's going to require a great deal of time to do. Nevermind the cost.

Repairing this Jeep could work if...
  • There was a detailed plan of the work to be done (Which is a whole different problem)
  • A dedicated group of people to perform the work who were willing to travel to the Jeep
  • A souce of funding
  • Agreement from the owner
Even something as basic as a tailgate installation could result in a number of problems and questions. (I don't remember if this CJ already has a tailgate or not) For example, if the bolts are stuck, are the tools and skills available to get them out? What if a captured nut breaks loose? Do we have new bolts? Does the paint match? Does it matter? Does the new tailgate need to be primed to help resist rust for 3 years? What about the other hardware such as support cables and the associated bolts, latches, washers, hinges, and spring washers? What about the rubber gasket? Or, am I overthinking it?

I'm not trying to be negative here; just realistic. I'd be the first person to donate parts, but we have to consider the greater picture.
Unread 02-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #65
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
BioTex raises some great points.

Transporting and storing a CJ is one thing, but taking the time and expense to perform repairs is another can of worms, especially on someone else's rig when they're not there to oversee the work.

One other problem is the issue of labor. Free parts are great, but if there is no time available to perform the installation, then the parts will just sit there unused. This CJ, like most others, probably needs a long list of repairs and that's going to require a great deal of time to do. Nevermind the cost.

Repairing this Jeep could work if...
  • There was a detailed plan of the work to be done (Which is a whole different problem)
  • A dedicated group of people to perform the work who were willing to travel to the Jeep
  • A souce of funding
  • Agreement from the owner
Even something as basic as a tailgate installation could result in a number of problems and questions. (I don't remember if this CJ already has a tailgate or not) For example, if the bolts are stuck, are the tools and skills available to get them out? What if a captured nut breaks loose? Do we have new bolts? Does the paint match? Does it matter? Does the new tailgate need to be primed to help resist rust for 3 years? What about the other hardware such as support cables and the associated bolts, latches, washers, hinges, and spring washers? What about the rubber gasket? Or, am I overthinking it?

I'm not trying to be negative here; just realistic. I'd be the first person to donate parts, but we have to consider the greater picture.
Exactly my thoughts. I don't mind doing some work, just can't do all of it.
I have 3 project 4x4's ahead of it. There are a lot of little things that can be done several ways. How to know which way would be prefered by the owner?
Carte Blanche is fine with permission.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #66
26679cj7
1979 CJ7 

ok ,when he gets back I will have it for him if he wants it ,didnt think about the stuff in the above post but yes very true,If I left my jeep I would want it left alone also,but I want to commend all that had a part in this.
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #67
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Wow - talk about one helluva support group! You guys are too much sometimes (not to be taken in a negative connotation at all, BTW) Personally, I think the only way I would feel comfortable with any form of work being performed on the CJ, it would have to fall under a few guidelines.

- I would have to approve the work being done (no different than if you dropped your DD off at the mechanics)
- Detailed records were kept of the work performed; parts used, photos taken, etc.
- Any parts that need to be ordered, either I myself order them, or agree to reimburse the purchaser before they are bought.

I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head, but if something else crops up, I'll let you guys know.

-Gil

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #68
Gido
1980 CJ7 

would you be opposed to donated parts?

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #69
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

The problem I see is labor, even if BioTex had the time, we cant expect one guy to build the whole thing. If anything, I say we each build a component and when Jensen returns and it finds it final location we can ship him the parts and he can assemble it like a model.
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #70
26679cj7
1979 CJ7 

I agree if Jensen is up for it.
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #71
T8ter
1974 CJ5 

What does the wishlist look like?
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #72
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I have some parts that I would be willing to donate. I will crawl this thread to stay posted.
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #73
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

seems to me that the part of the CJ experience that is the most rewarding and satisfying and which gives the largest sense of accomplishment and pride is the blood, sweat, tears and scars earned by restoring and repairing and improving your vehicle yourself, seeking out answers and advice here and working through your problems with member's experience and assistance, otherwise none of us would be here and this forum would not exist. don't rob the good sargeant of that feeling. return his vehicle exactly as he left it with you and don't denegrate his friendship by offering to alter it in his absence (although, the offers are admirable, they are misplaced, in my opinion)
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 04:25 AM   #74
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

To an extent, I agree with Jim. One of the best feelings is knowing that by turning your own wrenches, wrapping a grease soaked rag around a bloodied knuckle, and swearing to high heaven; yet in the end having your rig turn out how you wanted it. On the other hand, I wouldn't call it degenerating a friendship by offering to work on my CJ in my absence, if anything I would say that it strengthens the friendship. That just my .02

To be quite honest, the thing that would put the biggest smile on my face would be being able to DRIVE it onto a trailer when I get back from Okinawa.

Oh, and I'm not against Mopars idea at all (who doesn't like low/no cost Jeep parts??!!)

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #75
T8ter
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8ter View Post
What does the wishlist look like?

You can still get your hands dirty.. But alot of spare jeep parts laying around that could be used for CJE

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.