The CJ Express - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The CJ Express

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #151
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

And the 82 has a new home!

image-2999180729.jpg

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #152
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJensen
And the 82 has a new home!

Is that a Street Glide in the stable?

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #153
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT
. . Is that a Street Glide in the stable? . .
Negative Ghost Rider. That would be a 100th Anniversary Road King Classic with a batwing fairing.
image-1607205054.jpg

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #154
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJensen
Negative Ghost Rider. That would be a 100th Anniversary Road King Classic with a batwing fairing.

Ahh, stealthy...seldom see a fairing of that style on a RK.

That first garage pic you posted w/ just the top portion of the fairing/windscreen appeared to be a SG.

Congrats on your $100 CJ - you could always pay it forward to other fellow Jeepers!

Perhaps some of the JF members that assisted in getting your other one to TX and/or the guy who was kind enough to store it for you!?!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #155
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Most definitely. Things will be swapped and changed around, I just need to go over this one with a fine tooth comb and see where it sits right now.

Although I did just take it for a spin, and now have a huge grin. Love SoCal weather....doors off w/ the bikini top. Jeans and a hoody.

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #156
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

First things first, I'm sorry to hear about your family SSgt. It sure is hard being away from them during troubled times. Happy to hear everything is okay with your daughter.

Second, nice job on getting the CJ7, although I don't know why you need all that extra leg room?!?!? I came across all kinds of "free" things in the barracks on Futenma when people were PCSing. Like free cars, TV's, etc.

And third, welcome back to Kommifornia. Lets get started on some Fuel Injection
tripster_sta is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #157
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Jumphog - Question for you that doesn't stray too far from topic. The time(s) you were at Pendleton, did you ever hear of an off-road club on base? We had formed one back in 84 called the Pendleton BushEaters, but I left in Sep 85 and was wondering how long the club lasted. It was for any vehicle but only Marines or Navy personnel. Ring any bells?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #158
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well I stand corrected... I think you could part out the Express and pay for the new jeep since you got it only for $100. ;-)

Congrats on the new jeep, you stole it! After re reading the Express thread and the build thread I remembered that the Express was not drivable. What are the plans with it?
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #159
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC
Well I stand corrected... I think you could part out the Express and pay for the new jeep since you got it only for $100. ;-) Congrats on the new jeep, you stole it! After re reading the Express thread and the build thread I remembered that the Express was not drivable. What are the plans with it?
I'd like to pull the D44 and NV4500 out of the Express and possibly the steel tub (the 82 has a fiberglass tub which I'm not too keen on) and then let the JF members go to town on the rest of it.

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #160
Jumphog
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Jumphog - Question for you that doesn't stray too far from topic. The time(s) you were at Pendleton, did you ever hear of an off-road club on base? We had formed one back in 84 called the Pendleton BushEaters, but I left in Sep 85 and was wondering how long the club lasted. It was for any vehicle but only Marines or Navy personnel. Ring any bells?
Negative, Renegade. I was in Kaneohe, HI in '84, leaving there for Camp "Swampy" Lejeune in May of that year. The only time I was in CA. was for staging or just passing through. I hear there are some outstanding places to ride out there, and would sure like to give it a shot, but that will probably never happen.
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #161
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Snapped a bunch of pictures a little while ago with the good camera, plan on getting them online after I get some grub and put the kiddos to bed.

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 12-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #162
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Ok, so here are the pics:

Parked in the garage

Shot of the front locking hubs

Dash - Speakers are shot, no faceplate with the radio, some knobs don't match, and I need a wiper motor cover.

Front end, looking to the rear

Steering box, it leaks, might need a rebuild or replace.

Rear end, AMC 20...yeah, that's going to get swapped out for a Dana 44.

T-Case If I read the casting marks correctly, it's a Dana 300. Plan on rebuilding it, just for my own sake.

Looks like I'm gonna need a new battery tray...and battery too...Popped the hood for some pictures, and the tray had told me to go f*** myself, and dumped the battery, which I think now has a small hole in the case. That got pulled real quick.

Passenger side of engine bay. Spaghetti of wires that need cleaning up/rerun.

Drivers side of engine bay. Weber carb needs to be rebuilt as it looks like it leaks a bit. (Or should I replace it with a Motorcraft 2bbl while I gather parts for a MPFI swap?)

Engine code(?) This is on the pass side of the block, just in front of the distributor. It reads 110C23

Casting number (I believe that's what it is) Drivers side of block.
It reads EF3235444

Now down to the nitty gritty. So far I have found the following items inop:
Fuel gauge (surprise surprise, need to trouble shoot)
Speedo (traced that one today, cable broken.)
Temp Gauge (again, troubleshooting time)
Blower Motor (need to look into a bit more, will probably do the Blazer upgrade)

Engine needs to be cleaned so I can start tracing down leaks to their origin, seats need to be replaces, brakes need to be inspected/adjusted, and pretty much just gone over completely and start putting together a laundry list.

But hey, for $100, I'll do it with a smile!

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread

Last edited by SgtJensen; 12-18-2013 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: To see if you actually look here!
Unread 12-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #163
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Be careful with random upgrades such as carb etc. You are now in smog nazi California. All those fun upgrades are a no go here. You need to be stock or any upgrades that are engine related need to be blessed by the state
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #164
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktk View Post
Be careful with random upgrades such as carb etc. You are now in smog nazi California. All those fun upgrades are a no go here. You need to be stock or any upgrades that are engine related need to be blessed by the state
Yeah, that's what I've been told, and have seen first hand. Will probably just rebuild the Weber until I get the MPFI sorted out.

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #165
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It's my understanding that any fuel injection upgrade has to be CARB certified in California. The Howell and Mopar kits are the only two I'm aware of that have it. Unfortunately, you pay out the nose for that certification. I don't think a junkyard MPI will pass. Someone please correct me, if I'm wrong.

If you stick with a carb, you will need to replace ALL of the original emissions systems, which have probably been stripped. 1982 was the first year AMC started using an ECM (computer) to control fuel mixture and timing. Some CJs got them, others didn't, that year. At the very least, you will have to have an air pump, EGR, vapor canister, and CAT to pass, if you stay carbed.

Good luck

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.