CJ with Dual Exhaust out the back? Need advice & pics please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ with Dual Exhaust out the back? Need advice & pics please.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire CarrierBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 06-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
guysnydr
1983 CJ7 

CJ with Dual Exhaust out the back? Need advice & pics please.

Okay, I know there have been a thousand threads on dual exhaust for CJ's but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I don't want sidepipes, I want to run the duals out the back, I am thinking between the frame rail and springs and out each corner on a little bit of an angle. Has anyone done this by chance and/or have pics of someone who did? I am really open for suggestions as well so if anyone has any pics of duals out the back I would really appreciate that too! I really want something that will look nice as I have spent alot of time on the Jeep. I have a stock smaller gas tank (steel) and I see "some" room to the right of the tank where a guy might be able to snake a pipe through and of course lots of room on the left of the tank. If I have to I'll just run y pipe up front from the 350 and run a single pipe back but I would really like to have duals. In looking it over it doesn't look like a big problem to go between the frame and rear springs and out each corner but I'm not a pipe bender so there might be more to it than meets the eye. It's a street Jeep so I don't anticipate spring compession far enough to hit the pipes. Anyway, I would really love to get some pics and ideas, I know lots of you are running duals in some configuration or another! Thank you in advance.

guysnydr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
lockedcj7
1985 CJ7 

I had duals going straight out the back and it was not ideal. With the top off it wasn't a huge problem but the exhaust would recirculate back into the passenger compartment if I ran with the rear window out (safari top or bikini) or if I had to leave the liftgate up on the hard top for some reason.

When it comes time for exhaust on my current project, I'm running them out behind the rear tires on the passenger's side.
lockedcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Bow-hunt-er
1978 CJ7 

I have duals out the back corners, on an angle, between the frame & rear springs (just as you describe) & I have no problems with fumes whats-so-ever....I installed the mufflers & then took it to a local shop & had them run the 2-1/2" tail pipes & it cost me about $40....sorry I dont have any pictures...
Unread 06-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

My '79 CJ7 looks like this....

'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

I have what you are looking for. I'm going over to the shop later and I will bring my camera along and take some pictures for you and post up later this evening. I built the system myself. In Jeg's they sell a universal hot rod exhaust kit with all the bends and straight pipes you could possibly need and it only cost $200. Cut and weld together yourself.

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
southshore30 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
guysnydr
1983 CJ7 

Awesome! I would really appreciate seeing the pics!! Many thanks in advance.
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
guysnydr
1983 CJ7 

Thanks also to trapshooter for the pics, this is similar to what I have in mind but maybe angled more toward the rear corner and angled downward some. I don't know if it can be done or not. I appreciate you posting the pics!
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

here are some, all the hangers are not on the tail pipes yet so they are not level. They are also not shoved into the mufflers all the way yet either.
dsc00271.jpg   dsc00278.jpg   dsc00273.jpg   dsc00277.jpg  

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

here's one of the front of the exhaust and the grinder under the hood:-)
dsc00281.jpg   dsc00280.jpg  

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
guysnydr
1983 CJ7 

Looking good!! Yeah, that is along the lines of what I am looking at for sure. Maybe a little tighter on the frame (more parallel) and then turn down a little and out at the corners, but this is close. Very much appreciated!!
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

anyone have any sound/video clips of their exhaust systems? im looking at getting mine replaced in the next week or so and i wanna hear some examples
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysnydr View Post
Looking good!! Yeah, that is along the lines of what I am looking at for sure. Maybe a little tighter on the frame (more parallel) and then turn down a little and out at the corners, but this is close. Very much appreciated!!
What you are looking to do is more like what I was trying to achieve, I just didn't do it. I like the look of the old Nova's where the exhaust is pointing more down and all you see is the tip sticking down out from under the body. This is my first exhaust system I ever built and once I get the hangers on I may cut and modify the tailpipes some. It was tough building the system with the body off and not knowing what it would look like once it was on. I think we both have the same sort of idea.....that is what I was able to achieve on my first try. Make sure you take pictures of your system when it's done and put on this thread.

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

I know you say you would like a duel exhaust, but to be the devils advocate. I suggest a single. I switched from fenderwell exit headers with glass packs (ridiculous!), to in-frame headers with a single 3" and a 40 Series Flowmaster muffler (great sound!). The difference was felt immediately when I took off down the road from the muffler shop (better low-end grunt). If you feel you must have a duel, then I'd suggest some kind of H-pipe to help aide in the scavenging effect from the cylinders. I will probably get flamed for this little post, but it is my $ 0.02 based on personal experience.
Unread 06-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
kmm

Tim, I currently have what you had - Hedman fenderwell mufflers with cherry bomb glasspacks. I want what you have know with the in frame headers and Flowmaster single 3". I would like something with a tone rather than the loud mess I have know. Do you have any pictures and also what brand in-frame headers did you go with. I am thinking of purchasing headers and muffler and then takin to a local shop for installation.

Thanks!
kmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
guysnydr
1983 CJ7 

Timmayham, got any pics of yours? I am not opposed to single just kinda like the looks of a pair out the back. Anyway would love to see yours if you have a pic. If not no problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.