CJ decided to give me issues starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ decided to give me issues starting

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
mwroseberry

CJ decided to give me issues starting

Ok I have a 79 CJ7 I just recently purchased. Today when I went to get gas after I gave the CJ a workout pulling some tree tops around for me to cut up for fire wood it decided not to start. Never had an issue with it to date. But this time I cranked and pumped the throttle and nothing but cranking and no fire.

Being at a gas station already I went in and got a bottle of starting fluid. Shot it down the carb and cranked. Still no bang so its pointing me to spark. I can tell the dist. cap and coil are very old. So I'm guessing this is it. But after quite a bit of cranking and pumping the gas it decided to fire. Got me home but I could tell it didn't feel like it has over the past few days. So my question is... am I on the right track or am i missing something with this inline 6.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Merritt

mwroseberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Oddball73
1973 CJ5 

There's a lot of things that can go wrong with the spark. Most recently with mine the ignition control box has been going out, the replacement part for it isn't worth anything. I can be driving down the road and it will just die, i'll go out and beat on it and she'll start right back up. Bad to do it when it gets to warm, or cold, or damp... you get the point. That could be your problem though, it just cranked after it cooled off. But it would be a very smart idea to replace dist top, rotor, wires... check out the TeamRush upgrade.
Oddball73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
mwroseberry

Should I go HEI for an additional 22.00?
mwroseberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Oddball73
1973 CJ5 

that's what i've been debating, but you have to careful about the HEIs, there's a huge argument about it, main problem being cam gears getting destroyed by cheaper HEI gears, many suggest using the DUI or MSD versions, they seem to have a lot less trouble. But you should have the duraspark system already, it would be easier just to upgrade it, no switching distributors.
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Swap the original distributor cam gear. Takes maybe 10min at the most. Done.

Next argument?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwroseberry
Should I go HEI for an additional 22.00?
If you have the motorcraft distributor make a stealth HEI.

Go junking and find a Chevy or gmc anything from mid 70's to the 80's. Take the GM 4 pin HEI module.

Then swing by the ford rows and get the transformer type ignition out of anything from the late 80's on up till they went coil on plug. Take bracket and around 12" of the harness too
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Oddball73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
anddd that too.

Last edited by Oddball73; 12-29-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:

Next argument?
You HEI fan boys crack me up. It takes a little more effort to convert to HEI then just swapping out the gear.

Since the OP's already got the Duraspark ignition, his easiest solution would be a "Team Rush" upgrade and possibly a new ICM, if needed.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Yea, there is more. Like ripping out the old, antiquated wiring, ignition module, coil etc....

Hooking up 1 power wire thru a relay is Soooooooooo hard.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Yea, there is more. Like ripping out the old, antiquated wiring, ignition module, coil etc....

Hooking up 1 power wire thru a relay is Soooooooooo hard.
With all due respect, your short "do what I did, it's the only way..." responses don't do justice to you or the OP.

Both systems have their merits and limitations.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

He already owns the distributor.

Its most likely got the good advance head in it.

If he gets the parts from the junkyard he will spend around 30dollars for coil and the better GM 4 pin HEI module.

Unless he buys a motorcraft or BDW ICM, I wouldn't waste any money on the duraspark system.

The duraspark ignition was the biggest headache on Grammys CJ. Every two years or three it fry a ICM and or coil. I got so tired of it. (15 years or working on it I put at least 4 complete systems on it) The distributor is good and not the weak link. If I wouldn't have had a MSD6a and coil to slap on the CJ after my failed junkyard HEI swap I would have went the stealth HEI route and never looked back. I built one out of the fried module and tested it.

I bought the msd in 1991 and used it on various things. It's still going.............when it stops it will get the stealth HEI and TFI coil.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.