CJ Dash Restoration.... that classic look! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Dash Restoration.... that classic look!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #91
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

New cover came from our shop and is made from 1/4 thick polycarbonate stock.

Drilled the holes for the time adjustment knob and locating pins so the new cover sits in the original locating holes on the clock face. This type of job is not for the novice person to do but it can be done if measurements are made precisely so everything fits together. Drilling the holes for the locating pins is the most difficult as they must be exactly 2.75 inches apart and I made my own pins out of an old U-joint needle bearing that was cut in half. Then the cover must be drilled undersized for the pins to be pressed in. First cover I made, the pins were slightly off so I had to make another cover that hit the mark the second time around. Good thing I made 6 covers as spares just in case I needed them.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #92
Graffxman
1976 CJ7 

Are you going with a new wiring harness?
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #93
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffxman View Post
Are you going with a new wiring harness?
Nope, nothing wrong with the one I have as it is an unmolested original. I will be adding dedicated ground wires though.

Unread 01-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #94
Graffxman
1976 CJ7 

The wiring is the part I'm waiting for. Good pics are appreciated, I'll be studying them in detail.
Beautiful job so far!
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #95
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbookie View Post
I ran into the same issue with the Crown lights. One of there employees is a regular on here and asked for pictures and a description of the problem. Never heard back on a solution, but would really love them to replace my floor board lighting with an updated set. Definately want to hit them with some paint if you get those ones.
Just wanted to update after I saw this, the Crown lamps that are in/going out now as of December are corrected and should be like originals. The housings are now opaque white and the output color was adjusted so these should be as good as factory. I've seen them in person and they look great!

Keith, beautiful work on your dash!
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #96
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
New cover came from our shop and is made from 1/4 thick polycarbonate stock.
That is absolutely beautiful.
Any chance you'll make more for resale? I'd be interested, and I could see these being very popular among resoration guys. I wonder how rapidly they could be made with CNC on the pin holes?

Seriously... you do NICE work.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #97
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Any shop with a water jet machine can pop them out quickly and cheaply. I could provide the exact measurements for the replacement cover piece if needed.

I installed the clock and tachometer but haven't posted pictures yet as I am now in Milwaukee WI on business. Will post when I get back and then I will start on the radio installation and modification to add a mini stereo jack (1/8") for an auxiliary cord to play an MP3, IPod or whatever to the radio using the factory volume control knob to adjust sound level.

Unread 01-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #98
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjK View Post
Just wanted to update after I saw this, the Crown lamps that are in/going out now as of December are corrected and should be like originals. The housings are now opaque white and the output color was adjusted so these should be as good as factory. I've seen them in person and they look great!
Have you bought any of the new dash lamps? I would like to buy a set of the new and improved ones but I would be afraid that I would receive old inventory off the shelf from one of the vendors out there.

Unread 01-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #99
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Have you bought any of the new dash lamps? I would like to buy a set of the new and improved ones but I would be afraid that I would receive old inventory off the shelf from one of the vendors out there.
Yeah, my wiper lamp is out, and have thought about getting a new one. Maybe I'll wait a few months to order - let the old inventory get used up

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #100
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll let you all know what the ones from Morris 4x4 look like. I just ordered the set of 6 last night.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #101
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

MOD to OEM radio

Needed to cut hole slightly larger than OEM

Radio adapter

New radio
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #102
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Ouch!

I'm sorry but I cringe every time I see a perfectly good CJ dash that gets cut for a DIN (Duetsch Industrial Normalization) radio cutout. It makes me cry sometimes seeing that but sometimes there is no choice in this world we live in today. Out with the old, in with the new I guess.

Unread 01-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #103
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

I hear ya, Keith. I am going the other direction. I am going to have Dan with Double D fab make a custom dash similar to this picture and I will have it painted red with the rest of the Jeep and install a matched set of autometer gauges. I will install the stereo in a tuffy center console. I like the look of the classic dash, but the aftermarket gauges suck, the bezels do not seem to match for all of the gauges, etc. and I would like mechanical gauges for oil and water.

However, I understand what your goal is and also cringe when somebody hacks a perfectly good dash (I actually have done it) or, even worse, butchers a straight, rust free tub for rock crawling purposes... OUCH.

Thanks for the explanation for DIN. I just learned something! :-)
100_4029.jpg  

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #104
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Ouch!

I'm sorry but I cringe every time I see a perfectly good CJ dash that gets cut for a DIN (Duetsch Industrial Normalization) radio cutout. It makes me cry sometimes seeing that but sometimes there is no choice in this world we live in today. Out with the old, in with the new I guess.
Keith, I knew this would get to you.
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #105
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
Keith, I knew this would get to you.
I'm still crying over my beer I'm drinking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.