CJ Dash Restoration.... that classic look! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Dash Restoration.... that classic look!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #61
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

Subscribed! ... i will be doing this very thing pretty soon... just finished painting my dash....

Thanks! Keep up the great work!

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #62
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Plastic: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=52698

SS: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=5417

No powdercoat that I could find.

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #63
BigDawg515
1974 CJ5 

Great thread and thanks for all the info. Subscribed!
BigDawg515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #64
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog4 View Post
Nice work. I did mine in mahogany veneer. It turned out pretty damn cool. I love the look of yours.

I want to go back to the original pulls. 10 coats of spar varnish made it pretty tough to get those cables back in, and 2 of them broke.

Thats awesome. is it just a veneer over the stock or is it a custom cut piece to replace?
85CJEric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #65
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
Well i found one right after i posted that (so i deleted it).... but the one i found here ... http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...mber=WARS90416 .. is like $60 and was also worried about it being maybe to thick? 12 guage seems a little much for its purpose.... I have seen Kentrols version of the powdercoat but they only have it with the radio cutout... ? not sure why they offer it in the sst and not the powdercoat? Anyways if anyone knows of anything cheaper than $60 for a black powdercoat overlay without radio cutout please let me know.

Thanks! - Jarod

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #66
Warthog4
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85CJEric View Post
Thats awesome. is it just a veneer over the stock or is it a custom cut piece to replace?
Mahogany veneer bonded with waterproof contact cement to a replacement metal dash (bare metal). I covered the radio hole because I put the radio in the console. I used 10 coats of Epiphanes spar varnish. Has held up nicely for 4 years now.
Warthog4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #67
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Great write up Keith. Love the idea of using those thumb nuts. Well be using that for when I get to my dash for the 77'. It too has just the one speaker and vin tag by the wheel. It may get a clock added but that should clear the sticker. Lots more to do before that though. Again great write up.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #68
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgil View Post
Hello Keith !

Very very very nice job... Keep going to make us dreaming...

I will do exactly same for my restoration:

I'll re-use OEM knob and lights indicators.. except... the plastic board overlay... I will use leather (made by a friend):

Regards...
Geeez, that's a work of art you got there! Very nice indeed.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #69
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Your friend should market the leather
Unread 01-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #70
Chriss163
1983 CJ7 

Wow, your dashboard looks even better than new. Awesome!! I´m on a frame off restoration and looking for the tach. But it´s hard to find a V8 tach. I "only" have a 6 cyl. factory tach, but I think, he won´t fit the V8. Is this right?
What do you think about the aftermarket tach?
Chriss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #71
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Glove Box Install

Had a little trouble getting these old rubber bumpers back in their holes as they seem to have dried out some after 25+ years. I soaked them in motor oil overnight and that made them more pliable and was able to push them back in. Normally you just need to pull on the extended rubber tails on the back of them and pull them through but they broke off on the first try.

Next I installed a new glove box that is made of plastic instead of the original black cardboard type from the factory. Both are available online at several vendors but I decided to go with the plastic one since mice have eaten the cardboard one twice already.

Word to the wise: if you are going to store your Jeep for long periods of time, place little plates of mothballs around your Jeep to keep mice and spiders out, they hate that smell.

I don't have my glove box door back from the painter yet so I won't be installing that. Those A-holes sure are pissing me off about the painting that still needs to get done. VIN tags, wiper mounting plate, hood hinges and bolts still awaiting paint because "they forgot".

Unread 01-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #72
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I don't have my glove box door back from the painter yet so I won't be installing that. Those A-holes sure are pissing me off about the painting that still needs to get done. VIN tags, wiper mounting plate, hood hinges and bolts still awaiting paint because "they forgot".
'oops I FORGOT a zero on the payment....oops'

Ben
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #73
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
'oops I FORGOT a zero on the payment....oops'

Ben
I'm still holding $500.00 which they won't get until everything is complete to my satisfaction.

Unread 01-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #74
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I'm still holding $500.00 which they won't get until everything is complete to my satisfaction.
Well so far your build has been nothing but immaculate! I cant wait to see the look on your face when you drive it for the second...first time!!

Ben
Unread 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #75
thomask
1985 CJ7 

Thanks a million there Keith.

Doing the same with my CJ. I do have to order new dash lights as mine all came apart when pulling for paint. Also speedometer needs new bulbs as only thing working for light is the turn signals, high beam indicator and 4x4 light. Great ideas on the screen for speakers.

I hope to get working on her when it warms up down here in FLORIDA.

"Hey wave at a classic JEEP owner and make a new JEEP friend"
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.