CJ Dash Restoration.... that classic look! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Dash Restoration.... that classic look!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #46
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiemurph View Post
Looks great Keith!

Murph

Quick question: My cables broken on that third knob down. Is that easy to replace or does it run behind the heater box?

Murph
Whoops, make that the second from the top, sorry

Murph

Unread 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #47
Pog
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Had worked on the OEM dash lamps a while back by taking them apart and replacing a bulb in one of them that went out. Bought a replacement bulb from Radio Shack that was the same wattage as the OEM one so there is no difference in the lighting.

My Wiper/Washer lamp seems to be the only one that is wounded some. Housing is broken on the edge and a tab broke off while bending back to take apart. Still works though, and I'll see if I can get another used one later on.

I refuse to buy those aftermarket lamps, the ones Crown Auto makes, because of all the complaints about night lighting behind the dash at night and the wrong color output. Used is they way to go IMHO.

Cleaned up the fan switch and installed that along with a new pull/cable knobs.
Keith,

I agree that the OEM lamps are best, but I was pleasantly surprised with the Omix brand dash indicator lamps. The plastic case they are made with is actually an opaque, grey color as opposed to the Crown brand being translucent white. Thus, there was no "back-lighting" effect behind the dash. The color of the lettering upon illumination was also very close to what a "brand new" OEM indicator would be, a nice greenish-blue. Here's a little better picture of the Omix lamp in contrast to the Crown so folks can see what I'm talking about.

Omix

Crown

Keep up the good work.
Pog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #48
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

[QUOTE=Pog;10762459]Keith,

I agree that the OEM lamps are best, but I was pleasantly surprised with the Omix brand dash indicator lamps. The plastic case they are made with is actually an opaque, grey color as opposed to the Crown brand being translucent white. Thus, there was no "back-lighting" effect behind the dash. The color of the lettering upon illumination was also very close to what a "brand new" OEM indicator would be, a nice greenish-blue. Here's a little better picture of the Omix lamp in contrast to the Crown so folks can see what I'm talking about.

Omix

Crown

Thanks for the heads up, guess I'll paint the housing prior to installation
Unread 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #49
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiemurph View Post
Whoops, make that the second from the top, sorry

Murph
They are all connected in front of the Heater Box and Fresh Air Duct. The Fresh Air Duct might be a little harder to reach up into but you still can get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog View Post
Keith,

I agree that the OEM lamps are best, but I was pleasantly surprised with the Omix brand dash indicator lamps. The plastic case they are made with is actually an opaque, grey color as opposed to the Crown brand being translucent white. Thus, there was no "back-lighting" effect behind the dash. The color of the lettering upon illumination was also very close to what a "brand new" OEM indicator would be, a nice greenish-blue.
I believe Crown Auto must have corrected the problem then because Omix is a middle man that acquires Crown Automotive made parts.

I payed a visit to Crown, who are out of Canton, MA., about a year and a half ago and we discussed that very same problem with the dash lights they were making at the time bleeding "back-lighting". They were aware of it, and were working with their Chinese manufacture in resolving the issue. They read forum pages like this and that is how they found out about the problem. I also talked to them about the cheap pull knobs on the cable for vents and temperature controls that had issues of pulling off on the first try. It was kinda funny, they brought out a box for testing out of stock when I was there and sure enough, one of the knobs pulled right off the brand new cable. A little bit of yelling to the back and a few of the Design Engineers came up front to the counter and took a closer look. They gave me a free box of the cable pulls for bringing it up to their attention and just goes to show that some manufactures do care about what they sell. I mean the owner, who I have forgotten his name, was really embarrassed by the whole ordeal.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #50
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5ERNIE View Post
Keith, I like the thumb nut idea but was wondering if they would come loss from vibration. This is a project I will be doing in the spring and I know I will have issues with the studs holding the speedo. The PO broke one off already and I'm guessing he may have used the wrong threaded nuts or cross threaded them. Do you know the correct way to replace the studs? As said earlier thanks for taking the time to document this.
Unfortunately those studs are spot welded into place with a special welding gun that accepts the studs and puts them in place. You could TIG weld them on but that would burn the paint on the face side and make it look like it had a pimple growing or something.

I been using the very same thumb nuts for almost twenty years now and never had them loosen up or come off.

Unread 01-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #51
CJFF29
1979 CJ7 

Just wanted to subscribe. Lovin this. Jealous about the tach and clock too!
CJFF29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #52
Warthog4
1979 CJ7 

Nice work. I did mine in mahogany veneer. It turned out pretty damn cool. I love the look of yours.

I want to go back to the original pulls. 10 coats of spar varnish made it pretty tough to get those cables back in, and 2 of them broke.
Warthog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #53
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog4 View Post
Nice work. I did mine in mahogany veneer. It turned out pretty damn cool. I love the look of yours.
Now that is waaaaay cool!

Slap on some woody side panels on the Jeep sides and take a trip back into the 50's. I really like that and I know that had to be time consuming to build.

Unread 01-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #54
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Not sure how I missed this over that last couple days but I like the dash. I really like the screen over the speaker opening idea. Mine will get them if I ever need to pull the speakers again.

Oh and my crown dash indicators light up my floor board better than a flash light.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:03 AM   #55
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Debated whether to install the black plastic gauge overlay only because I always liked the look of the dash without it. But, since my Jeep CJ came with it from the factory due to the Renegade package, I decided to put one back on just to have the correct OEM dash look.

Just found one of these in my parts box and it has a radio opening cover with it.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #56
1983 CJ7 

I need all of these indicators so I will buy a new set; about ten minutes and a can of flat black spray paint will solve the light leakage issue.

Unread 01-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #57
sgtbookie
1982 CJ5 

I ran into the same issue with the Crown lights. One of there employees is a regular on here and asked for pictures and a description of the problem. Never heard back on a solution, but would really love them to replace my floor board lighting with an updated set. Definately want to hit them with some paint if you get those ones.
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #58
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Hello Keith !

Very very very nice job... Keep going to make us dreaming...

I will do exactly same for my restoration:

I'll re-use OEM knob and lights indicators.. except... the plastic board overlay... I will use leather (made by a friend):

Here some details...

And the LAREDO logo (believe me, it took LOT of time to do it!!):

here details...

Regards...

Last edited by stgil; 01-11-2011 at 10:44 AM..
stgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #59
1983 CJ7 

^^^ Excellent idea!
Unread 01-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #60
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

Great job! You can't go wrong with the classic look, that is one of the reasons that I wanted a CJ over other types of Jeeps
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.