CJ Dash Restoration.... that classic look! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Dash Restoration.... that classic look!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiv View Post
Did you use anything other than the speakers to hold the mesh to the dash? I would be worried about them rattling against the dash cutouts while the radio was on.
Nope, if cut to the dimensions given, they fit tight against the studs and the pressure from the front of the speaker holds them in place without having them move around. I did the same thing about 15 years ago and they never rattled around. Used a set of Radio Shack speakers that they use to make but they are no longer available anymore.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Next, I installed the speedometer using the same type Brass Thumb Nuts but they are 10-24 threads.

I had the speedometer apart last year to paint the needles with a fresh coat of florescent orange and refurbish anything that was needed. Replaced the insulating sleeve on the jumper bar between the coolant temp and fuel gauge with a piece of heat shrink tubing.

Also replaced some of the melted blue colored clear dome gauge lighting covers from a donor speedometer housing because I used the wrong type of bulb years ago. Correct bulb is a short length #53 bulb.

Installed Speedometer.

Unread 01-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Just wanted to subscribe. I cannot tell you how much I love following this build. Another poster said it best: "I'm running out of adjectives!" :-)

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #19
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Plastic Overlay

Debated whether to install the black plastic gauge overlay only because I always liked the look of the dash without it. But, since my Jeep CJ came with it from the factory due to the Renegade package, I decided to put one back on just to have the correct OEM dash look.

It gets installed before anything else goes in as all other gauges, dash knobs and lights are mounted aftwards.

Unread 01-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

So, when are you coming to do my dash?

Looks awesome. I love the look of an original CJ.
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Looks great, would love to replace mine with a dual-speaker dash, I only have the one speaker beside the glovebox. I had considered just cutting out a spot for a set of aftermarket, but I just love that "grille" look of the OEM design. I do have a question though, I have the VIN sticker on the dash where the left speaker grille is, did you have a sticker on yours? Is it required to be there? I have a glass tub, so no VIN tag under the hood, and I will be replacing my frame this next year from rotten areas, so I will not have the VIN there anymore. I have seen somewhere on here where someone is making "reproduction" stickers, so are you going to put anything like that back on if yours had them?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Dual speaker dash grills never had the VIN sticker placed on the dash. It was moved to the windshield wiper motor mounting plate using impossible and illegal to find rosette style pop rivets to hold the tag in place. There is, or was, a VIN sticker mounted to the inside of the drivers side tub wall for my model year but that is long gone now since that original tub has been scrapped to the recycling yard.

If I could buy a reproduction VIN sticker for the tub, then I would put one back on.

Unread 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #23
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Looks great, Keith! As usual, your work is second to none!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #24
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Voltmeter and Oil Pressure Gauge

Next we installed the voltmeter and oil pressure gauges using original hardware. Would have liked to have taken these two gauges apart but they proved to be to difficult to separate the glass bezel from the gauge housing without fear of breaking them. You can't get originals anymore unless they are NOS or used and their was nothing wrong with mine except the faded florescent orange on the needles. So back in they went after a little cleanup.

Unread 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #25
1983 CJ7 

Great start Keith
Unread 01-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #26
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Wow, your entire restoration is top-notch!

Thanks for taking the time to document and share this w/ us!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #27
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I'm calling it a night.

Thanks for the kind comments guys and I'll post some more pictures tomorrow of the dash lamps, knobs, pull cables and glove box install. Also needs everyone's opinion on what grab bar to use as I have the original steel bar that I sandblasted and powder coated or a leather Laredo version that I bought from someone a couple of years ago that is in decent shape.

Unread 01-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #28
JakesJeepCJ-7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! My CJ was originally this color but the PO f*ed it up an spray painted it. First $1,000 dollars I get is goin to a paint job. But here's a question, I have the same dash panel overlay, if I take it off I don't know how to put it back on? Canni just stick it back On maybe? Any ideas?
JakesJeepCJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #29
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Keith, simply outstanding! I have always been jealous of the CJ's with the factory clock and tach...I am glad you put the plastic overlay to stay original...as for the grab bar, stay original as well...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #30
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I'm calling it a night.

Thanks for the kind comments guys and I'll post some more pictures tomorrow of the dash lamps, knobs, pull cables and glove box install. Also needs everyone's opinion on what grab bar to use as I have the original steel bar that I sandblasted and powder coated or a leather Laredo version that I bought from someone a couple of years ago that is in decent shape.
I'd go with the power coated one. The reason being, if the laredo bar would be the only leather in the jeep. the power coated one will (if black) match the black overlay. You also stated earlier, quote"
since my Jeep CJ came with it from the factory due to the Renegade package, I decided to put one back on just to have the correct OEM dash look". end of quote. Kind of answers your question.

looks good Keith, Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.