CJ Dash Removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Dash Removal?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Conch Cruiser
1983 CJ7 

CJ Dash Removal?

I'm getting my plans together to restore my 83 CJ7.

I've been reading posts on this forum and gathering ideas and information. Great site.

On one of the "Jeep Build Threads" it looked like someone pulled the dash out and all the wires stayed on the guages and etc. as if they were disconnected at the firewall.

Is that the case?

I saw another "Jeep Build Thread" where it looked like he pulled the dash and all the wires stayed attached to the firewall.

If it can be doen both ways, which is better?

I think I would like to pull the dash leaving the wires connected to the guages and etc.

Conch Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would start using penetrating oil on the hinges now and use lots unless you know they will move. Most are seized and just bend, then you need new ones.

The fuse panel comes apart at the firewall. There are a couple small screws in it and one big center bolt on the engine side that pulls it all apart. You end up with a dash harness piece, a tail harness piece, an engine harness piece and a front light harness piece.

If you need any light plugs or sockets, a harness from a full sized GM van that hasn't been open to the weather has all the same parts.

Here is a link to the FSM for the 84-86 that should be real close to yours: 84-86 Factory Service Manual... - JeepForum.com
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Conch Cruiser
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Mike, That is how I had if figured out. I appreciate the verification.
Conch Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I like leaving all the wires on also. Just some minor stuff like brae light switch and dimmer switch and rear harness has to be disconnected. You'll see as you pull it out.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
PERK
1983 CJ7 

make sure you read the section on pulling the steering colum.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.