Cj cowl seal rusting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj cowl seal rusting

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
larock
1983 CJ7 

Cj cowl seal rusting

I just bought a 1983 cj7. I've heard that 82-83 jeeps had a problem with weather getting through the windshield. It has a cowl seal on it but water sits on the cowl and it has caused a rust line right across the bottom of the windshield. Should I replace the cowl seal or will the same problem continue? Also what is the difference If I just remove the cowl seal, will I be able to fold my windshield down but get all kinds of outside elements in my car through the crack?

image-2539661332.jpg  
larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i had the same problem with my old 1984 model, it probably never set inside a garage a day in its life before i got it.

i replaced the seal, but most of the water come through the windshield seal.
guess you could take the windshield frame off, take the glass out,
repair and replace all the seals
then never let it set out side again, should last for many years.

hardy anyway to stop an old jeep from rusting.

if you want a rust free jeep you just have to buy one and keep it clean and in the garage.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Wasn't that a band back in the early 70's, the CowlSeals!
I would replace the seal. After a decade or 2 (or definitely 3) they shrink, deform, or just dry out and if the space between the front lip and the ws gets dirt built up in it, it tends to take that shape and not lay flat against the ws. I took some rtv blue silicone and ran a bead down the tubs flat surface and on the bottom of the ws frame, both towards the outer edge, and let that cure before I put the seal on and closed it up. 15 years later I had very little leakage (pic below). And I would periodically take the hose and while running my finger along the length of it holding the seal away, spray out any dirt that may have accumulated and hold moisture.
Now granted, this was after a fresh paint job so there was no spot to wick a rust stain from. So if your not painting the area, clean all traces of rust and then wax it well.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

lar,

If you do decide to take the windshield off for repair, justbe advised, rust is everywhere, the bolts holding the windshield hinges on, hingesand body nuts attaching the lower portion of the hinge.

If you are not really into major body work with torch,welder, and other body work tools, this repair might be more than you bid for.

All the windshield wiper parts are also going to be hard toget out.

Might try taking it apart, then buy a windshield frame andhinges, if you cannot get them apart.

Might just grind rust down, smear some body filler over it,smooth out and repaint, drive it.

Otherwise you might be down for the summer.
With no jeep to drive.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Mine was like that, and I believe it is more of the frame rusting from the inside working it's way out. If you were to fold it down, be prepared for more rust than you expect. I would start considering a new frame now, and try to get away with just removing the hinges from the windshield side and lave the body ones alone. The less you disturb, the better. Mine was a little worse than yours, and when I went to remove it, it came apart in pieces.

I also recommend when replacing the frame, if you use a steel frame, get some of that Eastwood Inner Frame Coating and coat the inside of the windshield frame as much as you can. Even if you don't paint it to match right now, have it primed and maybe paint it a satin black in case you plan to repaint the whole vehicle later. It doesn't look that bad.

If you decide to go with a fiberglass frame, look up my postings about the 'glass frame installation I did. It might be in my build thread. I had to shim the inside hold-downs about 1/4 inch, as the frame was a little narrower and I split my first one. I would love to maybe drive out to Kentrol this summer and let them see their design flaw and see what they can do about revising it to be a correct fit.... they are only 45 minutes from me in North Lima I guess.

And also, get a windshield glass seal from a glass shop, not Crown's that 4WDH sells. It is too big. It is supposed to fit the glass snug, not with 1-2" extra length...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I had the same problem. I just replaced the windshield frame and cowl seal on mine. I replaced all the hardware with stainless as well as used anti-seize on all the threads. I sealed down the hinges to the frame as well as the cowl seal to the frame with black RTV to prevent water from getting under them in the future. The cowl seal was expanded when I put it on, so I had to pull the frame back to compress it enough to get the hold down bolts in. I used two ratchet straps hooked to each top corner and then to a seat frame. I was able to pull it back enough to match the angle of the hard doors, then tighten the hold down hardware.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.