CJ Coolant Overflow Bottle - repair or replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Coolant Overflow Bottle - repair or replace?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
N7TX
1984 CJ7 

CJ Coolant Overflow Bottle - repair or replace?

I'm the orig owner of my '84 CJ-7. The stock overflow bottle lasted nearly 20 yrs - it finally cracked and I replaced it. I've now gone thru two "OEM replacement" (aftermarket) bottles, and both have cracked after not a whole lot of use.

I could attempt to repair the crack in the plastic, or could buy yet another OEM replacement, but I'm thinking it may be best to go with something else altogether. An aluminum bottle would be nice, but then it may not be easy to see the coolant level.

For those who have had issues with repeatedly replacing these cheap aftermarket bottles, what better solution have you found?

If you've repaired the plastic, how did you repair the plastic?

Thanks

N7TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

I just use a coke bottle. it has been working for about 6 years now...

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Mine hasn't had one since I bought it 2 years ago. Runs fine, no overheating.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Location: Santa Rosa, CA 1 hour north of San Francisco in wine country.
Mine didn't have the lid and was empty when I bought it. I finally found a lid that fits from Oreily but I forgot to fill the bottle. It hasn't needed it and runs cool. But I will fill it soon just in case. My old timer retired mechanic friend told me that I didn't need one and to just check the radiator level when cold every once in awhile like in the old days. I'm lazy though.
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
CSP

My CJ didn't have an overflow bottle from the factory. I found one in a junkyard that would work. I can't remember what I pulled it out of.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

both the radiator overflow bottle and windshield washer bottle on my 1984 jeep were cracked.

i tried to repair the radiator overflow bottle, did not work, so it has not had one for years,

but i do check the coolant level from time to time, as the coolant will expand out, the bottle was there to catch the overflow and it was sucked back in when system cooled down. Otherwise the overflow goes out on the ground and you lose it.

check your manual and be sure you have the correct psi radiator cap,
caps do go bad and will not hold the coolant in as the spring gets weak, a new cap is cheap insurance to keep you from losing your coolant..
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

How about going with something like this? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2014_____

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.