CJ A/C upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-22-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
USMCCJ7Guy
1986 CJ7 

Cj CJ A/C upgrade

I have an 86 CJ with a 4.2L with the original a/c installed. I'm planning on upgrading the a/c to R-134 and have a few questions. Is there a parts list anywhere on the forums to replace everything from the firewall to the grill? I'm pretty sure the bearing in my a/c pulley is getting ready to go listening to the noise coming from it when the engine is running, hence my decision to just replace it all at once. While looking for the needed parts, I see a/c compressors listed for factory OR dealer installed a/c and with and w/o CA emissions. Is there a difference in the a/c compressor for dealer vs factory installed air? My compressor is set up for two v-belts. I appreciate the help on this. The forums have been a good source of info for the last few years as I've been working on my Jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Stumblebum
1982 CJ7 

Nostalgic A/C is a good source of Jeep A/C parts. I purchased a complete replacement kit for my CJ about five years ago. Components fit perfectly, virtually identical to OEM parts. They also sell the individual components, with good info on each one. I notice they only list YJ kits now though.

http://nostalgicac.com/complete-ac-k...lete-kits.html
post #3 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 05:26 AM
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Converting from R-12 to 134A is simply a matter of replacing the refrigerant on automotive air conditioning units that have no rubber O rings or seals.
You are lucky you can simply swap the refrigerant since you most likely have a York compressor.
If your front bearing on your compressor is shot then you need to rebuild the compressor or get a rebuilt one since your system will not hold any freon.
Now having said all that you can do all the mechanical work, but since your asking these questions I assume you don't have a vacuum pump, tools or knowledge to recharge the system.
So once all the work is done see a pro to recharge the system.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 05:49 AM
1949er
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it's just a bearing in the compressor clutch they can be replaced or get a complete clutch , It could be a York 2 piston and that will need to be removed and drained/cleaned of oil or Sanden rotary style compressor that can be flushed , yes the hose seals will need to be replaced also the system flushed and the receiver/dryer replaced as you can't get the R12 oil out of it and R12 & 134A use different type of oil that won't mix together also you will need the 134A adapters for filling the system.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 03:30 PM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Is the noise coming from the ac unit or the idler pulley?

Scott
84 CJ7 258, 2150 TFI nuttered 2" shackle lift 33's
70 Jeepster Commando 225 HEI 3spd 2" lift
post #6 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
USMCCJ7Guy
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the info. The noise seems to be coming from the front of the a/c compressor, and I'm 90% sure its not the alternator. But before I buy parts, I'll pull the belts off and see if I hear anything when I move both pulleys. The mounting holes on one side of the compressor have broken from maintenance, before I purchased it so the belts aren't maintaining tension and will occasionally scream when I first start up the Jeep. Overall this sounds like a simple fix, just going to cost a bit of $.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Badkisson
1983 CJ7 

if you have some extra vacuum hose or even rubber fuel line hose laying around cut about 4 feet of it and put one end of it to your ear and then put the other at the alternator or whereever until you hear the type of noise....that way you can almost pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-24-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
USMCCJ7Guy
1986 CJ7 

Thanks Badkisson. I will try that and see if I can isolate the noise.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-11-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
USMCCJ7Guy
1986 CJ7 

I ended up upgrading the A/C with a kit from JeepAir. Works great. The old compressor was definitely shot.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 PM
CSP

It probably wasn't a York either, being an 86.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-12-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
USMCCJ7Guy
1986 CJ7 

Pretty sure the one i bought was meant to replace a Sanden. My Jeep has the two V-belts pulley on the compressor.

Tags
a/c , cj , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.