CJ buying questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ buying questions

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-18-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
bigoltrux77

CJ buying questions

by December, im going to have about 3-4 grand stashed away for a new toy. I really like the 80-86 CJ7's. How much can i get one in good shape? What should i look out for? When im ready to lift, how high and what brand should i go with? I want to clear 33's atleast. What will i have to do to the driveline with this lift? ANything else would be appreciated. Thanks

bigoltrux77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
jrmckins

My 85 CJ7 was $3000. Bought it about 2 months ago. Look for solid engine (I like stock or rebuilt original). Frame rust should be minimal and body rust should be lite. That's what I looked for. As for lift, odds are you won't find a non-lifted CJ '86 or younger (that was my experience).
jrmckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
FrankenJeep34

'78-'79 are the best years to get according to The Jeep Bible. I say any year CJ is great to get...On the East Coast, I have seen them go from 1200 - 9000. It all depends on what you are willing to pay. Remember, there is always another one around the corner for less money. 3-4 G's should get you a pretty good one, though. Look for the rust holes next to the axles on the inside of the frame and rust on the floor boards. Check for leaky motors and steering problems. I went with a Skyjacker suspension lift and am very happy with it. I only went up to 2 3/4in lift so I could avoid messing w/the drivetrain. I think it is sufficent, and I can fit 33's under her, no problem. Any higher and I was looking at too much money, too. Have fun with it and good luck!

What makes you think I like Jeeps?
FrankenJeep34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.