CJ Brake Booster? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Brake Booster?

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 06-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
UzbekJeep
1975 CJ5 

CJ Brake Booster?

What kind of brake booster can I use on my 1975 CJ5? I was thinking of installing one from a newer CJ or maybe a YJ, but I don't know what I will have to do to accomplish that. I have 4 drum brakes all around, the only power thing is the steering. Power brakes are a must for my teenage leadfoot!
Thanks in advance!

Timur

http://www.youtube.com/user/soccernasafi
UzbekJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Slydeco
1985 CJ7 

Get the whole brake assembly from a YJ,booster,prop valve and swap your front axle to discs.
Slydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

go to junkyard grab the booster, master cylinder... axle swap id do at another time because YJ axles are widetrack, so youll have to take both axles plus gear ratio cant use just 1 axle... and you got a locked 44 rear end....way better than amc20 ull take out of wrangler. Get new brake pads and putting in the power brakes will help alot... YJ have a dual diaphram and CJ boosters only have 1.
4lowherewego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
UzbekJeep
1975 CJ5 

So if YJ boosters are dual diaphram will I have to find a set off a CJ?
I'm not really planning on an axle swap, I like my setup as it is. If I convert my front drums to disk brakes will it really make that big of a difference?
Thanks guys!
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

disk brakes will make a big difference. id do that instead of a power brake conversion. if four wheeling and your engine dies, well you hardly have any brakes with a power brake booster. with disk it doesn't make any difference, running or not. thats the one thing i have left to do on my old 55 m38a1, disc brake conversion on the front.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UzbekJeep View Post
So if YJ boosters are dual diaphram will I have to find a set off a CJ?
I'm not really planning on an axle swap, I like my setup as it is. If I convert my front drums to disk brakes will it really make that big of a difference?
Thanks guys!

Only the booster from the 95 YJ is dual diaphram. 87-94 are all single diaphram, but the problem with those is that the fittings on the MC where your lines run in to are on the opposite side (passenger side) of the MC as compared to your current set up. Not a huge deal, but you need to be EXTREMEMLY careful in bending your brake lines over to the other side. A little kink in your line can result in catastrophic brake failure. Converting your front drums to disks will make a HUGE difference in your braking performance.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
MikeMCJ
1951 M-38 

drum brakes are going to provide more braking force at lower pressure. converting from drum to disc alone can reduce your braking force. Levered force and surface area are why.

This does not mean drums are better than discs. Drums get hot and fade (#1 reason for discs), trap water and fade, and require adjustment.

Don't be expecting more braking force from just converting the front brakes to disc. you are likely to notice a loss of braking force. You will get a bigger improvement switching to a power booster than switching the front axle to discs, but you will likely need a power brake MC too.

jatepper is correct about the lines. the YJ are on the opposite sides. not only that, but the pedal ratio is different. Some people live with it by fabbing up a connecting rod for the pedal.

I chose to find a 78 axle and a CJ booster/MC. If that is not enough, I'll be going with a Navajo or Vanco booster or hydroboost (this would be the easiest if you have PS as you can use your MC and axle and still get better brakes).
MikeMCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
UzbekJeep
1975 CJ5 

Hydroboost

I did some quick research and found some threads on other forums about hydroboost. I'm liking the concept, and it looks like it'll be a lot cheaper than converting to discs and/or getting a conventional booster and new MC. So I think I'm just going to pull a hydroboost system off an old Chevy or something and run that until my budget gets bigger . Thanks for helping guys. It really advances my project forward.

Tags
brake , cj-5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.