CJ Bogs Down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Bogs Down

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Agggg
1985 CJ7 

CJ Bogs Down

I had my 85 CJ7 (4.2 258) out today and it ran fine. I had recently replaced the water pump and fuel filter. A few times in the past bog down when going up steep hills. It ran perfect all day, but after a bumpy ride in the mountains, it started to bog down. It got really bad when I went back on the highway, going from 2nd to 3rd would feel like it was suffocating. I sprayed out the Weber carburetor, but no luck. This was probably the longest that I have ran her in months, the previous owner had rebuilt the engine and it only has 5000 miles.

Agggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Welcome to JF.

I have a Weber, actually several. Can you identify which one(s) I have?

Reads as though you are experiencing bowl over fill, or in need of a float adjustment.. if we knew which Weber you have mounted I'm sure that sound suggestions would follow.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
truckshop21
1981 CJ5 

i bet you got a hole in and fuel line or its dryed out and cracked and sucking air
truckshop21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Agggg
1985 CJ7 

I couldn't find a model number on the carb, but I think we may have found the problem. The fuel lines do look bad, I just picked up some new hose. A friend messed with it for a while and thinks it is the vacuum advance. I am going to repair/replace that line and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.
Agggg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bog , cj , fuel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.