Cj Behind Dash Wiring Different by years? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj Behind Dash Wiring Different by years?

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 03-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

Cj Behind Dash Wiring Different by years?

I picked up a used dash off of craigslist this weekend and they guy gave me a wiring harness still atatched to the back of the dash. he did not know what it came off of because it was included with his jeep as an extra when he bought it. His jeep is a 83 CJ7. Do you think this is for the same year? Can you use this harness for any 76 to 86? It appears to have a relay of some sort.

2014-03-26_093612.jpg   2014-03-26_093622.jpg  
2014-03-26_093440.jpg

2014-03-26_093558.jpg

lsukevinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It appears to be an 84 or later Wiring harness with the independent Turnsignal flasher.

The relay appears to be the horn Relay. There is also 1/2 of your firewall connector.

It's not a direct plug in for the 83 but probably 95%. You might have to switch a couple wires on the firewall connector to make it work.

A lot depends what you have left on your 83.

John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Bingo! I knew the king of sparkys would come through with the answer. I concur that it is a horn relay. The year to year harnesses have some differences especially when the ecm came on board.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
Bingo! I knew the king of sparkys would come through with the answer. I concur that it is a horn relay. The year to year harnesses have some differences especially when the ecm came on board.
lol The king of sparkys, i like it. I have a 79 and my wiring works good enough for me. I was just wondering what it would fit if i decided to sell it.

I have one more question. The used dash did have a tach. When i pulled the bucket off of the back of the tach, it was stamped 6 cyl. Will this tach work with my 304?
lsukevinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

No it will not. The OEM tachs were matched or calibrated to the number of cylinders. Don't toss it though; they're much sought after and you can easily sell it.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.