Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CJ-7 Upgrade / Restoration / Build

172K views 676 replies 77 participants last post by  SKT 
#1 ·
CJ-7 Upgrade / Restoration / Build CJ7

Well, here we go again. I have purchased this 1984 Jeep CJ-7 and will be documenting it's updating right here, and at the link below, for you to watch and comment on.

http://www.leverfamilysite.com/1984_Jeep_CJ-7_Root.htm

The most important tool to this upgrade has just been purchased The Factory service manual

These are the first pictures taken when the Jeep arrived at it's new home. I am the third owner.

The last owner purchased the vehicle in March 2,1986 after graduating from college and drove his bride of 25 years away from the wedding in it on March 22nd of the same year. It had about 8,000 miles on it when Mike purchased the vehicle. It now has 87,111 miles on the clock.

It is pretty much stock although there have been some modifications.

The current to do list consists of; new steering gear box, new tie rod ends, new heater core, new springs and shocks (Jeep leans to the left just a little), Get under it with a wire wheel on a grinder and then under coat with 3M Body Schutz, prepare and paint front radiator grill, front windshield frame, both hard top doors, remove or hide the MSD box, stock plug wires, remove the KC driving lights and wiring, remove all the stainless braid covering off the hoses, replace all the yellow vacuum hose with black rubber, repair or remove the catalectic converter air tube. Fix the fuel gauge, knob on the dash, new speakers for the radio (driver's side does not work). New stock radio.

This is the current list and I have only had the Jeep 24 hours.

Other thoughts and stock wheels, small body lift, Less aggressive tires.

Mike put up this slide show to help sell the Jeep. I'm not sure how long it will remain up but I will keep the link here until he pulls it

http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/miker49/1984 CJ-7/?albumview=slideshow

My first question, as all speciality cars have good better and best, part suppliers, and I have not rebuilt a Jeep before, who is the best/largerest vendor of CJ-7 parts (first purchase will be heater core, power steering gear box, tie rod ends).
Pictures of condition 9/25/2011

This is how the Jeep stands today 09 21 2012.

List particulars
Year & Model...........1984 CJ7
Engine....................258
Transmission............T176
Transfer Case..........Dana 300
Front Axle...............Dana 30
Rear Axle................AMC 20 one piece axle
Interior...................Original Seats, Carpeting
Exterior...................Side steps and at least 80 % of the original paint has survived.
.............................Hard top, one set full hard doors, Original space saver spare.
Misc.......................Power Steering, Tilt Steering Wheel, Side Steps, Engine Compartment hood light, under dash lights
.............................Fuel Tank Replaced, Fuel Tank Skid plate redone, Frame reinforced for trailer hitch

Stuff you just could not leave alone
Tires.......................31X10.5X15
Wheels....................I believe the wheels are Cragar 3205855 - Cragar Chrome Quick Trick I Wheels (15 X 8 back sapce 3.75)
Suspension..............2.5 Old Man EMU lift
Steering..................HD Steering Shaft, AGR Power Steering (stock style) gear box, Tie Rod Flip
Ignition..................."Nutter" with MSD Box (AMC computer and ignition box removed, but saved), MSD Blaster Coil
Cooling...................Spectra Premium Heavy Duty Radiator, Fan shroud added, Flex Fan
Heater....................Blower Motor Upgrade
Valve Cover.............AMC Plastic cover removed and replaced with Cast Cover
Carburetor...............Weber
Headlights...............Direct battery voltage with relays, Correct era KC Driving lights added
Grounds..................Components under hood have been ground bonded
Dash......................Clock and Tach added
Radio......................Am / FM radio swaped for AMC AM / FM / CB radio

Stock items I would like to find
Wheels....................Chrome aftermarket (looking for stock) with original Jeep center caps

First four shots are a 360 walk around.

The inside

Under the hood

The under side

Note! I finally found some stock wheels. The appearance is kind of a disappointment as I like the appearance of the aftermarket wheels better, but they will stay

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice find! Please do yourself a favor and do not remove the MSD ignition. There are quite a few Cj Jeep vendors out there and everybody here has their own favorite. I do most of my business for new parts with morris4x4.com. Ebay and Craigslist is also a good source for parts too.

#5 ·
Ok,

If I look at the front shakles, the left one seems to have more of an angle to it than the right. To me that would seem to indicate that the left spring is flater, causing the lower part of the shakle to move away from the Jeep. I have not made a decision here yet as I do not know if I will lift it or not (if I do it will be a very small lift, I am leaning towards a body lift instead)

First step is to get rid of the dangerous play in the steering gear box (almost a quarter turn in the steering colum before any movement in the pitman arm), and to replace the heater core which is leaking like a sieve.

I'll order those on Monday.

#6 ·
Whole Jeep looks great Glenn!! Will be following along. Steering may be a combination of things besides just the steering box. The bell coupler for the intermediate shaft wears and adds a lot of slop. I changed my shaft out for one with u-joints on both ends and it improved steering greatly.

Love the '69 Olds. :thumbsup:

Paul

#7 ·
Whole Jeep looks great Glenn!! Will be following along. Steering may be a combination of things besides just the steering box. The bell coupler for the intermediate shaft wears and adds a lot of slop. I changed my shaft out for one with u-joints on both ends and it improved steering greatly.

Love the '69 Olds. :thumbsup:

Paul
I believe most of the slop is in the box. If I turn the shaft with my hand, it turns almost a 1/4 turn before the pitman arm starts to move. Once it does I can see play in the ball/socket joint on the drag link / pitman arm connection. I'm going to replace all the tie rod ends, drag link ends while I'm there. I will check the rag joint (bell coupler???).

#8 ·
Here is another question that has occurred to me.

Is there such a thing as a high output heater core?

I cam across this thread on this forum on the rebuild of the heater box.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj-heater-box-restoration-pic-heavy-975999/

and it is excellent. My question is on the heater core itself.

In the service Jeeps that went north of the Arctic Circle were equipped with heater enhancements. I am just wondering if anything like that made it into the civilian Jeeps?

It gets cold here in Rochester and I have heard that the heat is ok for the driver's feet in the CJs but not much else.

#10 ·
Ok, just got of the phone and ordered the following parts;

5354934HD HD Steering Shaft
5363231 Power Steering Gear Box
5363661 Pressure hose
5363662 Return hose
5356104 Pitman Arm
8134350K Pitman arm to steering knuckle kit
8134295K Knuckle to Knuckle kit

All parts dropped shipped from Crown

Should arrive here Wednesday, will give me time to paint them up.

This weekend is the last weekend of racing so I should get to installing the parts next week.

I am also looking for a complete heater box to restore so that I can pull the old one out of the Jeep and install the new on in one day.

#13 ·
To add, no matter who you order from try and get quality, aftermarket replacement parts. Crown and omix-ada are two of the worst known offenders for supplying inferior parts. I can't speak to the quality of their steering components but there have many threads about the quality (or lack thereof) of their gauges, switches, windshield frames, dash pieces..........

#14 ·
My research says you are correct on the gauges, switches, windshield frames, dash pieces,,, but

it seems there are a number of people on this forum that have used their steering stuff and are happy with it.

What vendors produce quality parts? Crown was not the cheapest, not looking for cheap.

#19 ·
Ok, after working on the kitchen remodel for awhile today, I could not stand it anymore. It Jeep has been in the garage for two days now and the only thing I’ve done to it is go to the DMV and get it registered, and order the steering parts.

I took ten minutes out and removed the KC driving lights. I found one was burnt out, the chrome inside the lights is flecking of the reflectors, the wire was run through the firewall without a grommet, the light inside the KC switch was burnt out. Fortunately the power feed for the “System” was taped off the fuse box with a fuse tap.

I also found out that this was not the first set of driving lights that had been on the Jeep. There was a second power feed to the front bumper for a set of lights that had been removed.

I have also started to apply penetrating oil to the window hinges.

I know it is not much but it is the first small step. Moog steering parts should be here tomorrow, Crown gear box should be here on Thursday. Friday maybe I can get them painted up so that next week I can install them.

Last race of the year is Sunday. After that I have to put the dragster away for the winter, and then as time permits, I must work on the kitchen remodel, I will start to work on the Jeep in earnest.

Below are the before pictures.

Attachments

#22 ·
The below picture is a picture of Smog control gone amuck.

I will start to look for a thread on Off Road Smog removal.

Attachments

#23 ·
#25 ·
Ok, I took up the challenge;

I went to you profile and went through the two pages of threads you have started.

I went to advance search and in "key words" put steering and in "user name" put Jeepmor.

The only thing I could find you had posted was ;
" Do a search for jeepmor and steering. I did an extensive laundry list a month or two ago and pretty much went through the whole system for what the check, replace and/or tighten to improve steering. Only think I know I left out was ball joints.

Regardless, give it a try, I'm not writing it up all over again."

In my reading I have come across this thread

Loose steering thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/why-your-steering-wanders-seems-loose-445430/

This is taking about putting Caster back into a lifted Jeep. This is good information, however it is currently not my problem as the Jeep is at stock height.

My problem is the gear box. I can watch the input shaft on the box rotate almost a quarter turn with not moment on the pitman arm. I am replacing the tie rods only because they have been on the Jeep for 28 years with big tires pulling at them for 87,000 miles.

I would be interested in reading your thread, can you provide a link, you do not have to write it over again. Thanks

#26 ·
I just ran into another "roadblock" The PO has removed the radiator fan shroud and installed a flexilite fan.

I went looking for OEM shrouds and six bladed fans and ran into "Crown" and "Omix-Ada" as being the only game in town on these parts.

On more than one occasion I have read that you should stay away from these manufactures as the quality is questionable.

#27 ·
Your Jeep is ssoooo nice and clean great choice on your part! As we spoke in my thread go for the Omix-Ada fan shroud its a perfect fit and a good plastic mold. Good luck with that steering upgrade/change this weekend bummer on the races being called do to rain :)

#28 ·
Their not called yet, that will not happen until an hour before the gates open. That is a real bummmer because I live an hour and a half from the track. I will give it a shot.

#29 ·
If you have not found this site yet it is outstanding for understanding computer controls
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

It is not clear on the site how to get to it's home as it is in the table oc contents, here is that link
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/home.htm

It is so good I might consider leaving the smog stuff on after I build the monitor that plugs into the diadnostic connectors under the hood.

#30 ·
#31 ·
Ok, this is the start of the first task that I knew had to be done when I purchased this Jeep. The steering has a dangerous amount of play in it. You can turn the steering wheel almost a 1/4 turn before there is any movement in the tires. With the Jeep idling you can reach in and turn the steering intermediate shaft and see that there is no movement in the pitman arm. I decided that if I was going to do this I would replace the intermediate steering shaft, power steering gear box and hoses, all the tie rod ends as I will be running 31 X 10.50 X 15 tires.

I purchased all "Crown" steering components. The Jeep Forum was a little down on "Crown" quality, so I relented, and purchased all Moog tie rod ends. I will compare the quality of the two company's products and return the weak stuff. So here goes.

I removed the radiator to gain access to the power steering lines that go to the gear box. When I did that the radiator fell apart and I found green corrosion on the bottom tank, time for a new radiator.

Below are some of the pictures, to see all of them go to the link below for more pictures and commentary.

http://www.leverfamilysite.com/1984_Jeep_CJ-7_Progress_2011_10_01.htm

Attachments

#32 ·
Below are some more of the pictures, to see all of them go to the link below for more pictures and commentary.

Note broken off bolt. Most bolts break flush to the surface, this one didn't. I may be able to heat the frame and back the bolt out with a pair of vise grips. A job for tomorrow.

Attachments

#34 ·
Vendors or better put, customer service representatives make me want to pull my hair out.

The radiator Barn http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator offers a Spectra two row for $345.62

RockAuto offers three Spectra ratiators
SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU583 15-7/8" Between Tanks; Heavy Duty Cooling $186.79
SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU58 16-3/4" Between Tanks $220.79
SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU80315-5/8" Between Tanks; Standard Duty Cooling $237.70

The inlets and outlets and cap are right where they should be, the lower outlet is angled up as it should be.

The one in the Jeep has 15 5/8 between the tanks but is a three row. The three row spectra is 15 7/8. (The core width is correct)

I have ordered the three row Spectra and crossed my fingers. I would think that I should be able to locat the radiator so that it will fit.
Row No 3
Core Height 15 7/8"
Core Width 24 1/4"
Core Depth 1 7/8"
Inlet Header 2 3/4" x 24 5/8"
Outlet Header 2 3/4" x 24 5/8"
Inlet 1 1/2"
Outlet 1 1/2"
Engine Oil Cooler None
Transmission Oil Cooler 12" (Concentric)

The nearest warehouse that has it is in Texas, (they say is 1-5 days away, I know it is zone 5 which is five day) so I have paid an additional $30 to get it here for the weekend.

Also ordered a OEM Radiator Shroud For 81-86 Jeep® CJ 6CYL with Heavy Duty Cooling and a 6 blade fan Radiator Fan for 72-83 Jeep® CJ-5, CJ-6, CJ-7 & CJ-8 (they assured me that it fits 71-86 even though the description says 72-83) from quadratec because they are located in Pa. and with standard shipping will be here in the middle of the week.

Ok, parts are on order for the weekend, time to go back to work on the kitchen to keep the better half happy.

#35 ·
Install a bunch of parts this weekend, parts installed were steering gear box,, from Crown, but made for Crown by AGR (MB Motorsports), Crown tie rod kit, also purchased Moog Tie rod ends, Crown P/S Hoses, Heavy Duty intermediary steering colum and a SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU583 15-7/8" Between Tanks; Heavy Duty Cooling purchased through RockAuto.

'm not so sure how heavy duty it is as the upper universal joint is certainly not as heavy duty as the stock one is (see below), but they have eliminated the lower "rag" joint. I will keep an eye on this, but as this will be a daily driver with little off road use I will install it.

I compared the Crown tie rod ends to the Moog and decided to use the Moog one. I did keep the steering knuckle to steering knuckle crown kit to use the link as the one in the Jeep was bent.

The Crown hoses were almost an exact match, only a very small amount of twicking was necessary to get them to fit just right.

Before installing any part I could powder coat I did, any part not powder coated I painted.

I have updated my web site with many detailed pictures that can be seen at theis link

The top half of the page is from the last update, the bottom half of the page is all new.

Attachments

#36 ·
Well, after installing the tie rod ends, steering gear box, and intermediate shaft, off to the alignment shop we went.

Found that the front springs were sagged, caster was at 2.9 (to low), and the camber was negative (tire are tilted in at the top).

Attempted to order from Quadratec everything to install a 2.5 inch lift with Old Man EMU springs. They did not have the front and rear shackle kits, or the front and rear Old Man EMU shock for the 2.5 inch lift. They were also not aware that the Old Man EMU springs for a CJ actually require a conversion to YJ springs.

Their phone support was not clear on how the conversion kit YJ to CJ worked with the front middle spring pockets.

I talked with Old Man EMU technical support (425-264-1391 , Mark), which was excellent. Turns out that OL Man EMU is an Australian company and everything is metric. The springs are not 2.5 inch wide YJ springs, but 60 millimeters wide and with a special thin wall bushing the "YJ" springs fit into the CJ spring pockets for the front. They also suggested ordering through a company that actually does the conversion and installs their product on vehicles.

I ended up talking with OK auto 4WD & Tire, 2621 Route 57, Stewartsville, NJ 08886, 908-454-6973. One note is "All sales are final 20% handling charged on returned merchandise" When you order, you better be sure you want what you order.

This is what was ordered and should be a complete list of what you need to do an Old Man EMU CJ to YJ conversion to a 2.5 inch lift (note the 2.5 inch lift was for the YJ, on the CJ it should be more like a 2 inch lift. Also they have light; medium, heavy duty springs for this conversion. As I will never install a winch, have the 258 six, no A/C, but do have the hard top for the winter. I ordered the "Hard Top" springs for the rear (median duty) and the light duty for the front. This was their suggestion. If at sometime in the future I want heavier spings in the front Old Man EMU sells am extra leaf kit.

2 ARBCS014F OLD MAN EMU DAKAR LEAF SPRINGS FRONT
2 ARBCS036R OLD MAN EMU DAKAR LEAF SPRINGS REAR
2 ARBOMEGS11 OLD MAN EMU GREASABLE BUSHINGS
4 ARBOMESB87 OLD MAN EMU BUSHES (OEM)
4 ROK40916 9/16x4.5 GRSABLE BOLT/NUT
2 ROK40100 ARB BUSH SPRING MOUNTS
1 ROK44000 CJ/YJ CONV. U/BOLT PLATES
2 ARBN42 OLD MAN EMU NITROCHARGED SHOCKS FRONT
2 ARBN56 OLD MAN EMU NITROCHARGED SHOCKS REAR
1 ROK4E50010 U BOLT KIT
1 ROK4E50020 U BOLT KIT

In addition and separately I have also ordered 2 eccentric lower ball joints to correct the negative camber.

Then it will be back to the alignment shop which has on hand angle shims from 1 degree to 6 degrees. I will keep you updated.

All the pieces are due to be here on Monday.

#37 ·
Good luck, project creep is a killer but you'll be glad you did it right in the end. BTW got my T18 tranny can't wait to get that puppy in. My axles fell through. I am going with the BDS 2 1/2" lift in parts because I want different shocks etc. (Although they made a strong case for Fox shocks).

#39 ·
It has been one of those days. I'll only talk about Jeep related stuff.

All the parts for the lift were ordered last Wednesday from OK auto 4WD & Tire to be shipped out on Thursday to arrive on Monday (today) the parts they did not have were to be drop shipped from Old Man EMU in Washington three day UPS to be here on Monday.

So you probable can guess where this is going.

The only thing that arrived was one small box of bushings.

I call OK auto 4WD & Tire and was given a tracking number which return invalid tracking number of the FedEx site.

I call them back and they said that is because it takes 24 hours for the tracking number to be valid. I reminded them that it was to be shipped last Thursday and they responded by saying that it was shipped today.

I'm getting used to this kind of service / uncaring customer support so I did not lose my temper.

I asked them to check all the parts that were ordered and to be sure none were on back order and get back to me.

They called back and stated that there stuff would be here Wednesday. That not all the stuff that was supposed to be shipped out of Washington did get shipped but the stuff that was missed was shipped out one day and that was the box that I had received. The second box which is marked 2 day express and was shipped on Thursday will not be here until Wednesday (six days for a two day package).

So…. To keep the project moving I thought I would order the new carburetor

Having read some of the threads on Weber Carburetors I put a call into Carburetors Unlimited with some questions on making the right choice between a 32/36mm progressive or 38mm synchronous Weber (http://www.carburetion.com/after.htm).

I got a jerk of a sales person that would not communicate but wanted to know which I was going to order. I got a tech support number out of him, called it got a voice mail, left a message asking for a return call which never came

It seems like there are many threads on the Weber Carburetor conversion is that because there are no American Carburetor conversions? Or because the Weber Carburetor works best?