cj 7 tub repair/replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj 7 tub repair/replacement

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-08-2002, 10:36 PM   #1
Southern Comfort

cj 7 tub repair/replacement

have recently picked up a 79 cj-7--mechanically sound, but the body is in horrible shape--am toying with the idea o f putting a new tub on it--was wondering if anybody out here could lend some info/pros & cons to the glass tubs as opposed to the metal--any links to this information as well as cost comparison, helpful hints, and any advice would be much appreciated--

bear in mind that i live in the coast in the south, so the vehicles main duty will be playing at the beach, and the occasional mud run--it will probaly never see any rock crawling or any real extreme off road use--

thanks in advance--

Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2002, 09:15 AM   #2
boredstiff

body replacement

I have a glass body on now, and I'm not sure if I would do it again. For one, you have to run many ground lines to different areas due to the fact that you have no body ground now. This happens in the front grill, dash board area, and any other in cab areas and under hood for that matter. It is hard mounting the seat belt anchors too. Not alot of support from the body... would be nice to have a steel floor pan. The pro is no rust, and it's light as hell. I float on the mud as compared to sinking... I don't know, kinda a toss up...
boredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2002, 04:14 PM   #3
Southern Comfort

john---where did you pick up your body from? i am leaning towards the fiberglass body due to living at the beach--was the install fairly simple--was it precut or did you have to blast all of your holes for the firewall, gauges, shifters etc--

thanks for the info
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 07:04 AM   #4
boredstiff

Mine was not precut, it did come from 4WD hardware. That was actually what took the most time. In addition, I had to weld a plate of steel across the rear middle body mounts, for some reason the fiberglass body has the mounts in a different area. I have seen that on two rebuilds now. Maybe it's different now, but as of 1 1/2 years ago it wasn't. Feel free to drop me a line at hvnfunru@hotmail.com if you want. Hope everything goes smoothly!
John
boredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 01:15 PM   #5
GroundUpCJ7

Keep an eye on Ebay, people tend to give up on projects, or buy spare Jeeps and sell the parts. You may want to consider a YJ tub. I have a 1980 CJ that had a POS body on it. I've bought a 91 YJ tub to go on it because it's galvanized! That goes nicely with the new galvanized frame that I bought, and axles, and transmission. Guess I don't really have a 1980 anymore LOL...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.