CJ 7 Steering "body roll?" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ 7 Steering "body roll?"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

A sway bar is pretty easy to add. I picked one up from Craigslist for about $40, put on new bushings, and bolted it on.

While mine is far from undriveable with the sway bar unhooked, it does make a big difference. I wheel a few miles from home, and often leave it unhooked for the drive home because every thing is covered in mud. It does fine as long as you are careful.

I sure wouldn't drive it like that for the 200+ miles a week that I spend DD'ing it on back roads, highway speeds, zipping in and out of traffic, etc....

Unread 07-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
chrisfuel
1985 CJ7 

ok here is what I have found out: the shackles that came with the OME springs are made by others. The front shackles are 3 1/2" center of bolt to center of bolt, the rear are 4 1/2". The shackles are two piece and it looks like I am getting about a 1/4" + lean in the back. Question: should I weld a plate in between the shackle sides to firm them up? Do this first before I look at installing another sway bar? thanks for your help!
front.jpg

rear.jpg

chrisfuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Nope, welding in a bar will do nothing to help with body roll etc.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

have had SOA driven on street frequently for past 12 years without swaybar... just swapped in YJ leaves and will be going back to using a swaybar... did your kit come with shocks? worn out shocks can make the ride seem very off. My lift is a custom done SOA with around 5.5 inches of lift with stock leaves, never felt dangerous to drive, your SUA 4 inch should be even better on street so there is something going on, I had 4.5 inch long shackles without a brace before and now have MORE shackles which are same length but thicker material and a brace so your shackles should be ok.
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
chrisfuel
1985 CJ7 

yes the kit came with new shocks. wondering if I need to increase the castor. I think I have # 3 shims in there now. Will #4+ help with the steering and ship-saw issues? Kind of like putting longer forks on a bike..
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfuel View Post
yes the kit came with new shocks. wondering if I need to increase the castor. I think I have # 3 shims in there now. Will #4+ help with the steering and ship-saw issues? Kind of like putting longer forks on a bike..
It only takes literally seconds to measure your caster. It will save a lot of time and money over guessing what shims to throw at it.

You're on the correct path with the bike forks analogy. Think of the slower steering of a raked out chopper, compared to the nearly straight up and down forks of a quick turning sport bike.
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
chrisfuel
1985 CJ7 

thanks all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.