CJ 7 Steering "body roll?" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ 7 Steering "body roll?"

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

A sway bar is pretty easy to add. I picked one up from Craigslist for about $40, put on new bushings, and bolted it on.

While mine is far from undriveable with the sway bar unhooked, it does make a big difference. I wheel a few miles from home, and often leave it unhooked for the drive home because every thing is covered in mud. It does fine as long as you are careful.

I sure wouldn't drive it like that for the 200+ miles a week that I spend DD'ing it on back roads, highway speeds, zipping in and out of traffic, etc....

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
chrisfuel
1985 CJ7 

ok here is what I have found out: the shackles that came with the OME springs are made by others. The front shackles are 3 1/2" center of bolt to center of bolt, the rear are 4 1/2". The shackles are two piece and it looks like I am getting about a 1/4" + lean in the back. Question: should I weld a plate in between the shackle sides to firm them up? Do this first before I look at installing another sway bar? thanks for your help!
front.jpg

rear.jpg

chrisfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Nope, welding in a bar will do nothing to help with body roll etc.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

have had SOA driven on street frequently for past 12 years without swaybar... just swapped in YJ leaves and will be going back to using a swaybar... did your kit come with shocks? worn out shocks can make the ride seem very off. My lift is a custom done SOA with around 5.5 inches of lift with stock leaves, never felt dangerous to drive, your SUA 4 inch should be even better on street so there is something going on, I had 4.5 inch long shackles without a brace before and now have MORE shackles which are same length but thicker material and a brace so your shackles should be ok.
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
chrisfuel
1985 CJ7 

yes the kit came with new shocks. wondering if I need to increase the castor. I think I have # 3 shims in there now. Will #4+ help with the steering and ship-saw issues? Kind of like putting longer forks on a bike..
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfuel View Post
yes the kit came with new shocks. wondering if I need to increase the castor. I think I have # 3 shims in there now. Will #4+ help with the steering and ship-saw issues? Kind of like putting longer forks on a bike..
It only takes literally seconds to measure your caster. It will save a lot of time and money over guessing what shims to throw at it.

You're on the correct path with the bike forks analogy. Think of the slower steering of a raked out chopper, compared to the nearly straight up and down forks of a quick turning sport bike.
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
chrisfuel
1985 CJ7 

thanks all!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.