JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   CJ 7 Steering "body roll?" (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj-7-steering-body-roll-1544114/)

chrisfuel 07-02-2013 04:24 PM

CJ 7 Steering "body roll?"

Im new to the form. I have a 1985 CJ and just installed a 4" OME heavy duty lift, 32" X 11" BFG's, new steering box, dropped pitman arm, Skyjacker stabilizer, caster adjusted etc. I seem to be getting good steering but as I turn the chassis goes one way and the body seems to lag behind causing me to over correct when it catches up. Don’t know how else to describe it. Is this body roll? It gets really dangerous at highway speeds with cross winds and passing. Do I need to install a swaybar kit? thanks

CJ7-Tim 07-02-2013 04:42 PM

Driving a lifted 4x4 often requires one to drive differently than when in a stock 4x4.

A functional front sway bar is very highly recommended, especially if you have any accident avoidance or other emergency driving maneuvers scheduled in the near future.

chrisfuel 07-02-2013 04:54 PM

good call. thanks....others?

robs7 07-02-2013 05:19 PM

X2 on the sway bar. Make sure the links for that bar are the right length do to the lift. Also, I'm assuming that you put all new bushings throughout your springs and shackles? Loose shackles, extended shackles, and or worn bushings can cause that feeling as well. My two cents. Rob

MoC 07-02-2013 05:41 PM

I have a 4.5" suspension lift, 1" body lift, and run 36" swampers. With the sway bar disconnected I feel little differance.

X2 on the worn bushings.

Oily 07-02-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfuel (Post 15633793)
I have a 1985 CJ and just installed a 4" OME heavy duty lift, 32" X 11" BFG's, ...

Quite a lift. Which requires much longer (than a 2.5 lift) shackles.

Why do some shackles have braces welded in while others donít?
Because as the sides of the shackle get longer, they will flex between the bolts as force is applied to them, adding a brace will reduce this flex, which can be a huge negative with long shackles, as they induce a vague feeling to the handling and allow the springs side to side movement to increase.[/quote]

WindKnot 07-03-2013 09:21 AM

Simple physics. The Jeep was never a sports car to begin with and you raised its center of gravity. The sway bar might reduce the body roll but not eliminate it. Go slower into turns and don't race Ferraris.

Renegade82 07-03-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oily (Post 15634976)
Quite a lift. Which requires much longer (than a 2.5 lift) shackles.

Why do some shackles have braces welded in while others don’t?
Because as the sides of the shackle get longer, they will flex between the bolts as force is applied to them, adding a brace will reduce this flex, which can be a huge negative with long shackles, as they induce a vague feeling to the handling and allow the springs side to side movement to increase.

[/QUOTE]

Because installation is easier when it's not a solid unit. But it's not as strong and could rack.
Your right and this is why you need at least 3/8" sides, to limit flex. The center brace, a welded one, prevents racking of those sides.

I wouldn't say they require much longer shackles. The taller springs alone will impart more torque to the shackles and mounts. Adding long shackles will just exacerbate that force. You should get beefier shackles, just not much longer shackles. Not as long as you would with a 2 1/2" lift spring.

82JeepCJ7 07-03-2013 11:54 AM

I don't run a sway bar, but I drive it like a JEEP

wblackm 07-03-2013 12:17 PM

I have a SOA on YJ springs no sway bar. I drive it carefully for sure, however, I do notice some body roll. That said-the fact that it is causing you to "over correct" seems extreme. I feel the body roll in my jeep, but I never feel like it actually causes me to have to correct it in turns, it just "leans" a little.

Sounds to me like you either have bad bushings or your shackles are too tall.

My guess is shackles. OME does not make a 4" lift. Some companies sell an "OME 4" lift that includes big shackles. The tallest springs OME sells are 2.5", this means most likely that they used shackles that are 3-4" longer than stock. That is a really long shackle and could very well be your issue. Can you post pictures of your shackles?

Renegade82 07-03-2013 02:01 PM

Good catch. I didn't notice he said it was an OME lift. Then yes those shackles would be 1" to 1 1/2" shackles (5 to 6" long) but not too long but close. However depending on their construction that may or may not be part of the problem. No swaybar is definitely part of, if not the entire problem. I would bet money.;) Did you replace the tre's?

82JeepCJ7 07-03-2013 03:06 PM

I think the scrub radius on the front wheels is off... Either the caster, tow in-out, or a combo of the two are off. That will cause what he is describing.

Coiz 07-03-2013 03:10 PM

I notice a distinct difference in body roll with my sway bar disconnected.

MoC 07-03-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoC (Post 15634048)
I have a 4.5" suspension lift, 1" body lift, and run 36" swampers. With the sway bar disconnected I feel little differance.

I should mention that is without the hardtop on. When I do put the hard top on, has been at least 1 year since I have, I do notice the body roll even with good bushings and the sway bar attached.

chrisfuel 07-03-2013 04:15 PM

Ok, looks like I have some homework to do. More to come...thanks to all :thumbsup:

The time now is 09:05 PM.