CJ-7 Security/Theft advice... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-19-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
CJ-7 Security/Theft advice...

Restoring a nice condition 1985 CJ-7 that hasn't been driven in 15yrs. Is there something CJ-7 fans and those in the know use to make older Jeeps like this harder to steal etc. Jeep will be parked/stored in locked garage at night; so i am more talking day to day use on the street etc.
Is something like a modern GPS/Lojack or Zoombak useful or just something simple like a steering wheel Club, or something i am not familiar with? As the top of the Jeep will be off, and doors off most of the time; and the vehicle just seems like such a sitting duck.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 Old 06-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Real Jeeps have dents
2000 XJ Cherokee 
A secret cut-off switch for the ignition would be an excellent idea.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-19-2016, 05:23 PM
1977 CJ7 
Yep. I also have a key lock for my hood latch:

I'm also of the opinion that it's best NOT to lock up a soft topped Jeep. I'd rather the thief rummage around the Jeep and find nothing than have him slit a window or the top with a box cutter and find nothing. That also means of course, a cheap radio if a radio at all.

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Guns > Swords
1981 CJ5 
The Tuffy security console is a nice addition if you want to run a decent radio.

Andy, KD8EIA
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2016, 08:27 PM
1985 CJ7 
Hi end alarm with Proximity Sensor.
Multiple sirens; piercing one inside (for the ears to bleed).
Air horns, steering club, hood lock & a kill switch.

Mine is so piercing loud, I have seen people walk away holding their ears.
It's a beautiful thing to see.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-20-2016, 06:03 AM
1974 CJ5 
I use a simple quick disconnect battery cable. Just take the knob off, put it in my pocket, hide the cable in the rest of the wiring, and walk away. To defeat this a thief would have to have the right sized bolt and a wrench. Most car thieves won't want to spend that much time or effort. If they did they then would have to know the exact secret time developed procedure to start it.

At home they would have to get by the four hell hounds who provide security. Three bark and the big one acts!

Now can anyone tell me when I'm away frtom home how to keeps the kids from locking the hubs?

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Web Wheeler
1981 CJ7 
This is my standard response to security questions....

Get one of these.

edit: I should add, a simple and effective anti-theft measure is to simply remove the rotor from the distributor when your CJ has to be parked in a bad area. Thieves know how to look and deal with kill switches, and any type of locking divices, but it's not likely they will have a rotor in their tool box.

Attached Images
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2016, 07:14 AM
1982 CJ7 
Few options to eliminate the chance of damage during the process...small push button kill switches are the most convenient means to stop a quick theft attempt, and are the most common method but they still do not stop your steering column from being busted up...a device that stops a hammer from breaking the column provides a visual deterrence as well as a barrier.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM
I have had a vehicle stolen (still not recovered after 8 years). The deterrents listed here are fine but I would have paid dearly to have had a Lo-Jack.

1982 Jeep CJ7 +4". 360 w/Edelbrock Performer Intake and Holley Truck Avenger carb. T18/D300 (Advance Adaptors). Hedman inframes. CV Driveshafts. Dana 44 w/Locker. American Racing Stics 5 on 33/12.50 Cooper rubber. Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers. Bushwacker flares. YJ family cage and ORF spreaders.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.