CJ-7 restoration advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7 restoration advice

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-11-2002, 09:14 PM   #1
duke

CJ-7 restoration advice

I have a 1980 CJ7 w/ a 304 that I am currently restoring. I have blown most of my restoration funds on the engine, suspension, and tires. The body is pretty straight but I have some rust that was hidden by bondo. I need a cheap way to fix this problem for a year or two. Advice welcome

duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2002, 10:25 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

If you just want a year or 2, blast out the bondo, and cover the areas with tall rocker panels and rivit in a temp floor pan.......providing your rust is in the common places. In the mean time, scout for a YJ tub or a clean CJ tub.....well worth the swap if you have moocho rusto.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 10:32 AM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

I am in a similar situation with my current 77 CJ-7. I am "patching" mine, and I expect to get maybe 5 years out of it for now.

It makes a big difference exactly where your rust is, and if it is rust or rot. Check your Body Mount points, and basically any area that is load-bearing or structural. If it is pretty solid there, then the rest can be successfully patched for a while.

Mine is solid everywhere that counts (Body Mounts, Seat Mounts, Seat Belt Mounts, Spring Hangers, Shackle Mounts, etc.). I need to do lower rockers and a driver's floor pan, as well as new rear corners. Those are relatively easy fixes, if that is like what you have, and worth doing.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 03:31 PM   #4
SKRMBLRMAN

If your only goal is to pass inspection and you don't care about looks, sheet metal and a pop riveter will solve all but structural problems
SKRMBLRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.