CJ-7 Rear Axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7 Rear Axle

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-09-2002, 10:53 AM   #1
Deru Sudibyo
1983 CJ7 

CJ-7 Rear Axle

Hi Netters,

Here is my 2nd Q.

Compare to my other 4x4's (Toyota LC BJ56 and LR Defender 110 TDI), Jeep CJ-7 is the weakest one. The worse is its rear axle. Although use one-piece shaft, but the construction of bearing housing is still weak. Bearing still works extra, as a bearing and to hold the axle shaft.

I am thinking it will be as strong as BJ56 or 110Tdi if converted to their technology, which is full floating. Is that possible? I have asked to so many Jeep shops in my country, but the answers were impossible. No such part for this conversion. Any one of you have surprise experience to be shared?

Thanks & regards,
Deru

Deru Sudibyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 02:46 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Warn makes a full-float conversion for the model 20. Most of the bigger Jeep shops sell it. Here is the listing from 4WD Hardware:

http://www.4wd.com/Shop4wd/ProductDe...uctSku=6175365

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 03:05 PM   #3
rustyCJ

why does everyone knock the amc 20? with one piece axle shafts its a stout axle that is comparible to a D44.
Unread 11-09-2002, 04:11 PM   #4
Deru Sudibyo
1983 CJ7 

Huh... really surprise!!! I believe nobody knows in my country. I just visited the site and saw it. Unbelievable thing is such kits also available for Wrangler and Cherokee. How small is it?

Now I am thinking how to get it, since it's not marketed around here. Should I import it directly? Or... maybe I can help Warn as their distributor to sell it in my country.

rgds,
Deru
Deru Sudibyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 10:56 AM   #5
dana60cj

That kit has been around for a while and re-designed a few times too. It makes the axle much stronger as the axle only has to bear the load of turning not weight.

The amc20 is a rather stout axle and has a bigger r+p than the 44 too. The shafts are small though and the housing is thin. Other than that it is ok, with a full floater in there it will not be indestructable though it is probably the best axle kit for it.
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.