CJ-7 Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7 Project

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
XJ2CJ
1981 CJ7 

CJ-7 Project

I have had an XJ for about 9 years and decided to move into the CJ line by buying a non-running CJ and then fixing it up the way that I want it. I ended up buying a 1981 CJ7 for about 1200.00 and have started removing the scrap that the PO though looked good (square tube bumper and such) and cleaning out the tub. My plan is to take it down to the frame, do an SOA conversion, swap in the engine and FI from my 96 XJ, find an NV3550 or AX15 or a good 4 speed auto and mate that to the Dana 300. I'm still undecided about keeping the stock axles or upgrading. I'm not planning on anything bigger than 33" tires, but I like the idea of FSJ D44 axles to pick up a little more side to side stability and not have to swap out the rear shafts for one piece units.

I'm also hoping to make it 4 wheel disc brakes and to put in a safari type roll cage as I'll have back seat passengers and the stock roll bar looks like it's there as decoration or to protect against low hanging branches.

At this point I'm looking for bumper ideas, automatic transmission suggestions, and wrangler springs for the SOA conversion

XJ2CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Sounds like your on your way!! I have both a CJ7 and an XJ. I love them both. I don't think I'd be able to lose my XJ though. Its only slightly lifted with 31's,but here it's better for winter than my lifted CJ. Warmer too!

Depending on what your doing; the stock axles will take some abuse. My friends 83 CJ7 has had the stock d20 in it all along. It has stood up against the sbc350 and a built up sbc400 with only the solid axle conversion and disc brakes.

My 86 has 74 d30 and d44 with 4.10's and I have a sbc350 with 700R4 mated to my d300. I'm happy with it all around. Road manners are ok and light off-road trails are no big deal. I hope to try a little more aggressive trails this year,after I help a couple of friends get their jeeps back in operation.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
XJ2CJ
1981 CJ7 

So after some cleaning and looking, I will soon be taking out and selling a 4.2L I6 and an SR4 transmission. I thought about building a stroker out of the 4.2 but right now I have other things to worry about.

On a side note, which automatic (4spd) or manual (5spd) would be best? Just trying to find out which one is best suited for 35" (or smaller) tires and the 4.0 I6 engine.
Unread 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
XJ2CJ
1981 CJ7 

Just peeled off the bogus rear corner covers and found the remnants of a Laredo paint job. That and the tilting steering column are good signs. On the other hand the rest of their paint job looks like they used house paint.
Unread 03-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
XJ2CJ
1981 CJ7 

Updates as to where it is at.

Drivetrain:
-Narrowed Chevy D44 Front
-Exploder 8.8 Rear (disc)
-4.10 Gears
-NP435 Transmission
-Dana 300 T-case

Engine
-5.0 V8 (1997 Explorer donor) GT40P heads

Suspension
-YJ Stock Leafs (used)
-Front Shackle Swap (MJ spring shackles in the rear hanger)

Tires
-33x10.5 MT's

Extra
-20g Fuel Tank

If I can get it sitting on the axles with the engine and transmission in place this year I will be very happy.

Updated this to show where it is going now. I'm pulling the exploder apart for the engine and hopefully will have the front axle ready to go under the frame about the same time that I get the 302 out of the explorer and start getting it ready for the CJ
Unread 09-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
XJ2CJ
1981 CJ7 

Recently picked up a Detroit locker and a 4.10 gear set and just need to get the shafts and rotors drilled for 5 on 5.5. Finished the front bumper and hopefully I'll have the rear bumper finished in a week or two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.