CJ-7 lift issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7 lift issues

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
drehkreuz
1986 CJ7 

CJ-7 lift issues

I'm looking for some advice on the lift I have on my '86 Jeep CJ-7. Short of the story I tried to cut a few corners for a school project that added a bunch of weight and depth to the engine bay. I countered this by building Bastard packs all the way around and widening the axle U-bolt perches to accommodate the wider 2.5" springs under the main spring. On top of that I made custom shackles to raise it a little more, all of this I topped off with new Procomp 4" lift shocks.

Now for the issue, as the Jeep isn't running currently it has been getting towed everywhere for various shops to complete work on it, as well as me moving it back and forth manually in the drive way. I started to see slop in the shackles, allowing the axle as a whole to shift back and forth axially when I turn the steering wheel.

I do not have the sway bar on and I'm not sure I can put it on with the new engine, or that it would help track the axle in place.

Any help is greatly appreciated

drehkreuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

The sway bar wouldn't really help. What shackle hangers do you have on the frame? The stock ones can bend open and cause slop, I just replaced mine for the same reason.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

How long are your new shackles? Shackles should be sized to the length of the springs. Even using longer shackles with the stock springs can be an issue for your caster and axle stability.

BTW, leaf springs (especially front) sag and twist over the years, so even with no changes to you suspension, your caster angle can change.

When you change any suspension component, recheck your lengths and angles.

You can read about it and see illustrations in the article below (link in signature block).

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
drehkreuz
1986 CJ7 

They are the stock hangers however when I repaired the frame I coated them in POR-15 and the additional undercarriage rubberized coating (2 coats of each) when the new bushings went in it was hard to seat them all the way. I feel like its the bushings themselves allowing too much slop or wearing out prematurely.
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
drehkreuz
1986 CJ7 

Gojeepin,

Oddly enough some of that was a bit over my head, but I did find a very good Diagram to help illustrate the issues. If you look at the Shackle Dia.png file the axle is shifting and moving along the yellow arrow outlined in red. As all hardware is new and the shackles are a solid member I believe the lower left condition is what I am experiencing on brand new bushings.

The shackles are made of 0.25" thick stainless with a piece of 2"x4" x 0.25" wall tubing welded in. 0.375" mounting holes 7" apart from center. I wanted to ensure that the bushing mounts had enough room to flex inside the shackles up and down depending on ground terrain.

From what I read and understood adding any lift is going to be a fight between castor angle and drive shaft angle correct?
shackle-dia.png

Unread 05-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have oversized shackles that are 1" longer than stock and they give that movement, it is normal. Yours are closer to 4" longer than stock.

Those are likely going to require shims to get your alignment back right.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drehkreuz View Post
0.375" mounting holes 7" apart from center. I wanted to ensure that the bushing mounts had enough room to flex inside the shackles up and down depending on ground terrain.
So you are using 3/8" bolts? I think the shackles need a 1/2" bolt iirc. Using a smaller bolt will net the same effect as a worn out bushing.

Not sure what you mean by ensuring the "bushing mounts had enough room to flex inside the shackles up and down". Everything should be pretty snug. The bushing itself will naturally flex slightly during articulation. That's why it's there.
Unread 05-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
drehkreuz
1986 CJ7 

Jp360cj

I was trying to allow the full movement forward to aft on the shackles, (ie i didnt want the spring to rub on the tubing in the middle of the shackle) allowing the axle to move up and down sorry for the confusion.

when I tore the bushings out on tear down there was a 1/2" sleeve in the middle of the bushings with a !/16" wall I believe so there isn't much if any slop on the bolts, I have to wedge a crow bar in-between the spring eye and tubing to get it close to lining up. I've debated removing these sleeves and going up to a 1/2" bolt but was unsure on if that would help or not, if not then my shackles would have just become paperweights.

Mike,

So the flex is 'normal' and it will just fatigue my bushings faster? Dumb question but isn't alignment based upon toe in/out, caster, and camber? not so much keeping the axle rigid?

I guess another question is if using stock shackles but putting on 2"-4" lift springs does the same thing happen?

Craig
Unread 05-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

When you put springs on, it moves the axle straight down. When you put longer shackles on it only lifts one end of the springs, so it tilts the diff and the steering knuckle which throws the alignment way off in the front.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.