CJ 7 - Ignition and Carb upgrades - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ 7 - Ignition and Carb upgrades

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 12-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

CJ 7 - Ignition and Carb upgrades

New to me 84 and am going through it part by part in the engine compartment. This will be a basic driver with occasional off road use. Nothing extreme - mostly beach access.

My thinking is why rebuild the carb if I should be upgrading. Same goes for the coil, cap, plugs, and wires if I should be considering HEI. I am not interested in TBI as its just not worth it for us with what we want to do with the jeep.

So would like to hear from members of what they recommend.

Here is what I have for a Carb:

And Dizzy/coil:

scottyDive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Some guys will recommend you rebuild the BBD, instead of replace it. But, if yours is as worn out as mine got, you'll be happier with a new carb.

If your Duraspark ignition is working well, then you won't realize any improvement switching to an HEI. An HEI will clean up your wiring, however. Look into the "Team Rush" upgrade for a cheap and effective mod to your Duraspark.

A couple of comments based on what I see in your pics....You really should get your PCV system hooked up. That open hole on the back of your valve cover is allowing dirty air to get sucked into your crank case. Also, your carb has the fuel bowl vents capped off. Those normally connect to a charcoal canister. Without proper venting, the carb will display hard hot starts. I also don't care much for those hoses draped over the valve cover. That's a failure waiting to happen.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for that information on the Dura spark. I read all about it and I will definitely do that upgrade. As for the comments on the carburetor and the PCV, I removed because they were just were crumbling. I did order the FSM so that I can hook up the carb correctly and see how it runs after that. I really appreciate the comments I want to make sure this is running correctly.
scottyDive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Just be aware that the "Team Rush" is nothing more than common tune-up, replacement parts that don't address the lazy advance curve, the weak module or the weak coil.

Shawn
Unread 12-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Partsmke
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really understand your position on TBI compared to what you have. The Carter BBD you have along with the emissions system that has been removed never ran well. If you insist on the BBD get one that was used prior to 1982. The Motorcraft 2100 two barrel can be adapted and jetted, they work about as well as a carburetor can.
Partsmke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Just be aware that the "Team Rush" is nothing more than common tune-up, replacement parts that don't address the lazy advance curve, the weak module or the weak coil.

Shawn
If you go all the way with the Team Rush upgrade thew cdi replaces the module and the e core coil is a big improvement.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPER View Post
If you go all the way with the Team Rush upgrade thew cdi replaces the module and the e core coil is a big improvement.
I used the GM 4 pin module and wired it into the Duraspark case.

This worked very well for me, I went 2 1/2 years without going through a box.

Then, I just had to wire up a Capacitive Discharge Ignition system (CDI). I am amazed beyond belief how much better this UPGRADE is.

I paid $210.00 for the CDI and coil. Again, WOW!!

UPTILLNOW
uptillnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Consider me in the groove with what the guys are telling you.

'84 had emissions computer,
By the time you spend getting the carb torn down, setting stepper pins and taking ignition timing away from the computer,
The find out the carb is worn out enough it still won't adjust/tune but at 'Working' (not working good) its not worth the time/effort under the hood.

Bypassing the computer so the ignition module gets direct controll of timing,
Just run distributor Orange & Violet wires to the module directly.

The biggest upgrade you can do for the ignition is cap adapter, cap, rotor & some reasonable plug wires.
'TeamRush' upgrade, the basic version gets all that done.
Just use quality parts and its all drop on place of what you have now.

'John Strink Stealth HEI Upgrade' shows you how to gut the factory module,
Install a $25 HEI style module in the case,
And that will set you up for a better ignition coil (E-core).
No more random module failures, and capacity for a better coil for $25 is a pretty good deal!

Doesn't matter which carb or ignition you settle on,
You will have to do a little tuning since you removed the computer,
You will have to do basic tuning on the BBD,
And no matter if you go HEI clone or keep the factory distributor,
There will be some tuning involved.

Get comfortable with a vacuum gauge and timing light and you can make it run reliably, and usually better than the factory settings.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I agree with Matt look into the team rush up grade and as swatson454 & GPER indicates, should you want to take it a step further you can find plenty of additional options that will help along the way.

In my opinion, Matt has it down to the least you will spend for the best advantage, given your application of use.
Personally after the tune up I would address the timing [it is part of the team rush I am sure] before adjusting the carburetor. Then blow the carbon off that carburetor and adjust it according to manual. It has probably never been done since new and this will give you a better Idea weather it needs to be replaced. On an engine that has been running as rich as that one is, myself [should there still be a slight miss when done with every thing else] I would get it hot pull off the air cleaner and spray water down the intake wile running about half speed and gun it rather than stall.
It sounds Crazy but it has helped me several times cleaning up a miss here and there that involved carbon build up and so far [about thirty or forty years of doing so] I have never damaged an engine.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckCorvette View Post
I agree with Matt look into the team rush up grade and as swatson454 & GPER indicates, should you want to take it a step further you can find plenty of additional options that will help along the way.

In my opinion, Matt has it down to the least you will spend for the best advantage, given your application of use.
Personally after the tune up I would address the timing [it is part of the team rush I am sure] before adjusting the carburetor. Then blow the carbon off that carburetor and adjust it according to manual. It has probably never been done since new and this will give you a better Idea weather it needs to be replaced. On an engine that has been running as rich as that one is, myself [should there still be a slight miss when done with every thing else] I would get it hot pull off the air cleaner and spray water down the intake wile running about half speed and gun it rather than stall.
It sounds Crazy but it has helped me several times cleaning up a miss here and there that involved carbon build up and so far [about thirty or forty years of doing so] I have never damaged an engine.
RN
Also known as a "Mexican tune-up".

Sorry if that's not politically correct. But, since the technique is effective, it's not really derogatory.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Ok
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Rolandt03
1983 CJ7 

I am very pleased with my weber 38 carb, nutter bypass, and team rush upgrade!
Rolandt03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.