CJ 7 with Howell EFI problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ 7 with Howell EFI problems

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 09-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
CSP

What capacitor would you have pulled with the ignition module? I'm trying to picture where there's a capacitor in an HEI distributor......

CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
Javaboy
1983 CJ7 

I've been at this a couple of days and here is where I am at. I really took a close look at the ignition system and realized I was no longer getting a spark. Again it has a new coil. cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition module. I finally pulled the cap to watch the rotor and it was not spinning. Great. Pulled the distributor and found out that the Camshaft gear was worn down to nothing.

Pulled valve cover, head, rockers, push rods, lifters, timing cover, chain, gear, and finally camshaft. Replaced camshaft, and components. Reseached into the cause of the distributor chewing the gear and it seems that it could of been a hardened gear, or maybe the wrong angle of cut. Either way I replaced the distributor with a DUI HEI setup.

Everything is back together. I'm getting good spark right now, but the TBI is dumping fuel even more then before. Before the injectors would spray in a nice cone shape but now it is just pouring in. So, starting over... Ideas? Could this be a ground wire? There was a clump of them stuck together and a few look like a bad connection.
Javaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
efi , fuel , hei , howell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.