CJ-7 height - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7 height

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
skinhinajeep
1979 CJ7 

CJ-7 height

what is the cheapest way to get more height on a 1978 CJ-7? Lift kit, shackles?

skinhinajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

correctly.... lift kit. Or doing a yj spring conversion / soa

From what I have learned/read in here, while shackles are the cheapest, you normally dont want to go above 1/2-1" lift with shackles.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

I would also look into add a leaf kits. I believe they 're affordable, easy to install , and add about 1.5 to 2.0 inches of lift. Just another option.

http://m.summitracing.com/search/par...jeep/model/cj7
"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
CSP

It depends on how much more height you want.

Pretty vague question really.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #5
Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
correctly.... lift kit. Or doing a yj spring conversion / soa

From what I have learned/read in here, while shackles are the cheapest, you normally dont want to go above 1/2-1" lift with shackles.
This. If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right. Figure out how much lift you want, then pickup a decent kit. Everything in your suspension system has a job to do. In order to keep the vehicle from rattling your teeth out of your skull or possibly becoming dangerous to drive (bump steer), everything needs to be modified together. This will explain the basics of how it all works:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res108eps/...ion-basics.pdf
Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Shackles play havoc w/ castor also
Unread Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #7
skinhinajeep
1979 CJ7 

Well I found a 1979 CJ-7 with the 258 3 speed, I also got a extra frame with it, 2 extra doors, a 4 speed tranny, another dash with all the controls and wiring, an extra new radiator, 4 extra rims, how much did I pay...2,200, I think I got a great deal!!! He wanted 2800 so I brought my son down, its amazing how that works..lol He has a lot more extra parts, going to take the Tundra down with the trailer and bring all the goodies back home and yes the Jeep is drivable...

Thanks for all the replies!!!
skinhinajeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.