cj 7 Hazard lights come on when I hit the brake! grr - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj 7 Hazard lights come on when I hit the brake! grr

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

cj 7 Hazard lights come on when I hit the brake! grr

Ok, so,

IS there a fuse that I am not seeing or something that controls the turn signals? I now hit the brakes and the lights come on, by that I mean the front turn signals come on solid (not blinking) as do the dash turn lights (again not blinking)

Any ideas where I should start on that.

Recent work... I recently swapped out the headlight dimmer switch, but I had no problems with that (in so far as I know) for a week before this happened, so I am thinking they are unrelated.

More info...

The jeep is an 84 cj7 with a 258 5spd

Thanks yall. I could not find a fuse that has been labled turn signal, is there one that I am missing? If so, where would it be located on the fuse box?

Thanks yall

Brian

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would be checking the rear bulbs out. A blown one can cause your symptoms. They can also have the glass fall out and short causing the same thing.

Do all the signals work? if one corner doesn't or is dimmer I would start there.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
fish1erp
1982 CJ8 

Try the flasher, it happened to me. I think the turn signal is labeled on the box. Fuse No. 15. Try this:

Unread 08-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

Thanks.

On the photo above, mine has only ever had one of the very large round ones. (I have had the jeep for six years now) Is that something that I should have on mine as well?

Thanks for the photo, I do not have a flash light, nor a fuse puller, so knowing which one to pull will help a lot!

I guess I can also see if the auto shop can check out the big round one for me too... If that does not fix it then I will look into the tail lights. The reason I put that last is because the last time I had a tail light out it did not react this way.

When I just turn on the turn signals (without touching the brakes) nothing happens at all right now.

Thanks yall!

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
jhagerman
1976 CJ7 

I had this issue with my CJ7. In my case it turned out that the hazard switch was pushed in on my steering column (hazards weren't functioning and still aren't), so the brake light switch was feeding power back through the hazard circuit, and illuminating the front turn signals. This may not be your problem, but I thought I would mention it.
jhagerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

Thanks yall. Yeah I swapped out the fuse, and that did not do the trick, but the large round one was in the turn signal spot, and I moved it over to the hazzard spot and suddenly everything started working... sigh, such is life.

Thanks again everyone!

Brian

Unread 08-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

In 84 the TS flasher is under the dash by the parking brake. that socket usually stays empty.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.