CJ-7 fuel injection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7 fuel injection

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 12-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

CJ-7 fuel injection

Hello all, I do not have a jeep, but it is my dream vehicle and someday I would hope to get one. Right now, I am just doing my research in finding the best route to take. The Jeep I would prefer is a CJ-7 with fuel injection, as I have heard that carburetors are quite a bit of work, and I am not extremely mechanically inclined. If anyone could help me, I would like some information on what needs to be done to get a fuel injected engine. What would be the best route to take? if I swap the engine out, will I still need to buy a fuel injection kit separately? Or will the engine come with the fuel injection already with it? Or would it be best to just get a fuel injection kit? I'm not exactly sure what I would need, but if someone could post some information or a website link that would be great.
I was also wondering if a five speed transmission would be better for gas mileage. I would possibly be using it as an all around vehicle, also for some interstate traveling, so would a 5th gear be better for that? I heard that there is possible alot of adjusting that needs to be done if putting a different transmission in. If someone could also let me know about what would take place with that and how to do it or post a website link, that would be awesome. Thank you in advance!

Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What you are asking has so so many answers.

If you are sure that you want a cj7, and also FI, it would be after market in some sort. I love my cj7 and would not want to change the basics.

That said, carb are not all that bad to deal with, just not the economy, and performance, and advantage working on un level surfaces as well as auto compensation for higher altitudes. I hve a 304 v8, 2BBL Motorcraft 2150 and get along fine......sure FI would be better and maybe someday but I can change jets in about 15 min for high altitude. I drive only about 5-6K miles a year, so the difference in gasoline consumption would not justify the typical cost of adding FI. That does not mean that I would still like to change.

Cheapest way to convert is with "junk yard" FI, but even very mechanical people have trouble with doing that.

IMO, best advice is to see what is available to you. Weather you are able to get an I6 or V8, dana 300 or dana20, axle ratio, transmission, how much you intend to drive it, etc. You may be able to find someone who has done the conversion, but was it done well?
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

What you are wanting IMO your best bet or bang for the buck would be to buy a wrecked XJ (91-95) with a 4.0 with a AX15 trans. and swap it into a CJ. They can be had cheep and will have the 4.0 injected (obd1) and the AX15 is a good 5 speed. They are a driver side drop but wit a clocking ring you can mate the Dana 300 to it on the cheep back to a CJ passenger side drop. If you look on top of the threads there are some Thread/thread Starter Sticky. This one is about what is involved to swap a 4.0 into a CJ. Can be a lot of work but there is info all over the net on this swap. One thing to remember is that all of them are peoples experiences and and not necessary all the info is good and some is hearsay or "I know a guy that", so take it for what it is worth. Good luck and welcome to CJ ownership in the future. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/official-4-0-swap-thread-475002/
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you both for your posts, that is exactly what I needed, I had searched on the forum for other people doing the same thing, but was unable to find anything. @1986cj, that post is what I really needed, thank you for the information!
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
TWolff5050
1983 CJ7 

I found the Holy Grail to the Chevy TBI conversion, on a posting the other day. It is on a International binder site but the information is priceless the guys name is Bill usn-1. He has several posts on the forum and these are a couple of addresses: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=45292 and http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47254
TWolff5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

or you can get on the threads here http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=75
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
ssjeepfreek
1981 CJ7 

I have a 81 cj7 with 258. I put the 4.0 head on it with the fuel injection. Had on for 8 years and love it. Have propane on my 86 cj7, it is actually better but you need room for tanks and a propane tank with wet line at home to make it convenient.
ssjeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Ill chime in here, first there are many different levels of FI that depends on what you want or what your buget is. The lowest level is the Howell or junkyard Throttle Body Injectot (TBI)setups. These units do work but its really kind of a glorified carb. Some people are happy with them I find them limited since they only controll fuel.$ up to around 1200 for Howell junkyard is as you can find. http://howellefi.com/jeep-tbi-products.html

Next on the list is the Affordable Fuel Injection kit its also a TBI but comes with a distrbutor and controls spark as well as fuel. Much better preformance but the kits around 1200 and up.
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...Jeep-24-1.html

After that you get into either a swap as stated above or you can go with the Hesco Multi Port Injection
http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=...025&catId=7577
This is a really good kit its stock replacement parts for a YJ or early TJ and runs very well but its about2500.

After that you get in to the custom programable Fuel Injection such as Mega Squirt (you build your own boards and such) Weber Redline and Halteck pricey but really good stuff. I am currently going from a Weber Redline TBI to a Weber Multiport Injection. This is not for the faint of heart since it can be configured in many ways.You plug your laptop into the computer and tune from there.

I will do a thread on it once its all together.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Ill chime in here, first there are many different levels of FI that depends on what you want or what your buget is. The lowest level is the Howell or junkyard Throttle Body Injectot (TBI)setups. These units do work but its really kind of a glorified carb. Some people are happy with them I find them limited since they only controll fuel.$ up to around 1200 for Howell junkyard is as you can find. http://howellefi.com/jeep-tbi-products.html

Next on the list is the Affordable Fuel Injection kit its also a TBI but comes with a distrbutor and controls spark as well as fuel. Much better preformance but the kits around 1200 and up.
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...Jeep-24-1.html
Just a little bit of clarification needs to be added here. The junk yard route can ba as simple as you want or as complex as you want. Both Howell and AFI use standard GM TBi components. AFI uses spark control and Howell doesn't. The common JY method uses standard GM TBI components and you can choose to use spark control or not. It looks quite complicated at first but it really is as easy as following directions. The links to Bills guides at the top of the post are spot on. To top it off you can put it all together for less than $700.

If you are really wanting a road warrior jeep, ie some thing to put lots of miles on the interstate you might consider a used TJ. They are already setup for today's interstate speeds, comforts, heat cooling etc. Just trying to stear you toward the best tool for the job.

Good luck with your decision and post pics when you get it

Tags
5 speed , cj-7 , engine swap , fuel injection

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.