CJ-7 Electrical #@$*##@*!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7 Electrical #@$*##@*!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-18-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
jddausch
2012 JK Wrangler 

CJ-7 Electrical #@$*##@*!!!

I'm sure this is a problem all of you cj guys have had at one time or an other. Some of the dash panel lights/gauges work periodically, some don't. I'm sure i have a bad ground somewhere, does anyone have any advice as far as an easier way to locate a bad ground than randomly following wires? (which is the way i've gone about it so far). i've had some success so far, but still have gremlins in there somewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

'12 JK Sahara
jddausch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

the lights only work if they ground properly in the gauges themselves.

if you are referring to the square indicator lamps, just buy a new set and replace them all...

if you are talking about the lights in the fuel, temp, oil, and volt gauges, reach your hand behind the dash and reset them more snug into the holes they sit in. They have thin prongs on the end that you can bend out to get a snug fit.
Unread 06-18-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
Lightningdon

Try pulling the bulb and socket out of each guage and all out of the speedo. You may need to clean up the metal sockets for a good ground. I did this on my '75. You wouldn't believe how corroded they were. Pulled all out and filed the fingers on the sockets where they plug into the guages, then pulled the bulbs and cleaned the contacts inside. Wouldn't hurt to clean the base of each bulb while you're at it. If, by chance you have a F/G body, you may have bad ground on your dash panel itself. Test by running a wire from the panel to a known good ground. If the lites work, that's your prob. If not, keep looking!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.