Cj-7 doors revisited-hard doors the answer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj-7 doors revisited-hard doors the answer?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-12-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
newjeepowner

Cj-7 doors revisited-hard doors the answer?

I've posted a few times here since I bought my first jeep and the help here has been outstanding. I currently have half doors on my '79 cj7 and found I can't get uppers to fit the corner of my hard top correctly (which I now understand came off a yj).

So it seems the best thing to do for the winter would now be to get a set of old full steel doors from a cj and go back to half doors in the summer. It looks like I just disconnect a strap and the pull off the door over the pins. I've read that I might need to change the striker (it looks like I currently have a simple bolt configuration screwed to the body so I cautiously assume these are easy to swap back and forth with the doors if needed).

The door issue is fast becoming a headache and I want to make sure I understand any other issues and resolve it fast (and economically).

Can someone validate the above and/or warn me of any other possible issues w/the doors and top or the strikers or anything else? I probably have to travel a bit to find some doors and can't afford to come home with something that doesn't work. Do I have to get cj doors?(what years fit?) would tj doors fit?(if so, what years?) Would these fit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-JE...spagenameZWDVW

Finally, I'm wondering if full softdoors would fit the hardtop correctly as I suspect this would be even cheaper. I just dont want to wear a snowmobile suit to use the jeep this winter

Also, would this fit a 79 cj-7? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-JE...QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry for all the questions and droning on and most importantly..

Thanks!

Last edited by newjeepowner; 11-12-2007 at 06:21 AM..
newjeepowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I am going to guess that you have a hardtop from a YJ not a TJ. You should be able to buy soft upper doors that will fit with the hardtop. Here is a link to some on the 4wd.com site.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=7698
Full doors from CJ-7's and YJ's will fit your Jeep. The door strikers may need to be changed depending on what year doors you buy. 1981 and newer doors will have the striker pin style latch.

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I just put my hardtop on yesterday (82 cj-7) and i have to swap my strikers. My hard doors/hard top have the little plates for the door latch to catch on. For my bestop supertop i had to install the pin strikers for the soft doors to latch on. After i installed my hard top i wanted to try and put my soft doors on with my hard top but where my soft doors come down off the back side radius its a straight shot down. On my hard doors/hard top there is an offset right below the window on the rear of the door that conforms to the offset in the hard top. This offset dose not allow me to run my bestop soft doors with a factory hard top.
So every year i need to swap top, doors, and strikers as a set so everything will match up.
hope that helps at all.
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.