CJ-7 build about to start...am I missing anything? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7 build about to start...am I missing anything?

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Reply
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
burtonsnowman
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Elk, WA.
Posts: 309
CJ-7 build about to start...am I missing anything?

I am putting my CJ together this winter (with the help of a bunch of other people) and to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible and delays are kept to a minimum, I'd like to employ the help of you guys to help me plan. Here's what I've got to work with (and the questions afterward in red):

#1] '84 CJ-7 (currently sporting a 4-popper and stock axles)
It's getting a full cage - but what about the frame? Should I slap on some plates for reinforcement?
#2] H.O. 4-liter, heading to the shop for rebuild and stroker upgrade
I don't have a tranny! What transmission to go between the 4.0 and the D300? AAH! Will an AX-15 do the trick?
#3] Full-width D44s (yeah, I know...they'll get upgraded later) with 4.88s and Detroits
I'm going SOA with this bad boy. Who should I have to my d-shafts?
#4] 37" tires (again, that will change later when I have more $$)
What springs should I run? How about 2.5" in rear with a shackle reversal in front? I've heard the reversal, when used in conjunction with the SOA yields almost 3" extra lift. Isthis true?
#5] High-steer setup for the front axle (off the J-10 I yanked the axle from)
Which steering box do I use? The J-10, right? Or a Wagoneer box? And how about ram assist? Will it be necessary? At what tire size should I worry about it? I have 1" and 1.25" rods now.

Now, for the planning: What order should I do this whole thing in? I can drive it where it needs to go first, but there are two venues where work will be completed - the body/engine shop (same place - friend's house), and the cage-building shop. These places are about 45 miles apart (highway). The Jeep is getting painted and the interior Rhino-lined. Which order should I do it in? Which place comes first?



Thanks for all the help, guys!
I appreciate your input, even if it's only regarding one of my many questions!
- Tyler (Hey, I'm only 18...I'm new to this. Take it easy on me.)

__________________
- Red '84 CJ-7 - I'll build it someday! I have the parts, but no shop and no time! :(
- Black '78 J-10 - rollin' on 37s and SOA with front/rear Detroits, high-steer, etc.
- Green '93 ZJ - Crusty old PARTS-GIVER TO THE CJ!
"Six in a row makes it go"
...and a driveway full of Subarus...
burtonsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonsnowman
#1] '84 CJ-7 (currently sporting a 4-popper and stock axles)
It's getting a full cage - but what about the frame? Should I slap on some plates for reinforcement?
If it's going to see some extreme usage or a lot of twisting, then yes.

Quote:
#2] H.O. 4-liter, heading to the shop for rebuild and stroker upgrade
I don't have a tranny! What transmission to go between the 4.0 and the D300? AAH! Will an AX-15 do the trick?
Either an AX-15 or an NV3550 wil be your most direct swaps if a 5-speed manual is what you're after. AX-15 will definitely need a spacer between it & the Dana 300 unless you go the DIY method of messing with the shaft and bearing retainer (you'll need to search Pirate4x4's hardcore Jeep section for that...ask about it and you'll get flamed since the info is available by searching).

Quote:
#3] Full-width D44s (yeah, I know...they'll get upgraded later) with 4.88s and Detroits
I'm going SOA with this bad boy. Who should I have to my d-shafts?
Whomever you want. Check around for local places and compare their prices with Tom Woods, High-Angle, etc. You're not doing anything exotic, so you don't need anything particularly special & pricey.

Quote:
#4] 37" tires (again, that will change later when I have more $$)
What springs should I run? How about 2.5" in rear with a shackle reversal in front? I've heard the reversal, when used in conjunction with the SOA yields almost 3" extra lift. Isthis true?
SRS doesn't necessarily yield anything, all depends upon how it's implemented, and also can actually be a bad thing with an SOA depending upon your spring choice. The RE 1.5" SOA springs are arguably the best if you have the money for them, other wise beefed up YJ springs or Waggy springs are fairly popular lower-buck options.


Quote:
#5] High-steer setup for the front axle (off the J-10 I yanked the axle from)
Which steering box do I use? The J-10, right? Or a Wagoneer box? And how about ram assist? Will it be necessary? At what tire size should I worry about it? I have 1" and 1.25" rods now.
CJ box, Wagyy box, whatever is in good shape. Your brand of wheeling will determine the need for ram assist.

Quote:
Now, for the planning: What order should I do this whole thing in? I can drive it where it needs to go first, but there are two venues where work will be completed - the body/engine shop (same place - friend's house), and the cage-building shop. These places are about 45 miles apart (highway). The Jeep is getting painted and the interior Rhino-lined. Which order should I do it in? Which place comes first?
Drive it to the body/engine shop, yank the tub and have it lined and any bodywork done while you deal with the frame & drivetrain, put it back together and drive it to the cage builder, then back to the body/engine shop for paint.
__________________
'86 CJ-7 Laredo: 4.2,T-999,D300,D30/D44,'94 YJ tub, full cage, Shrockworks rockers, OYR corners, AC,cruise,restored seats,3 tops,2.5" Superlift,F-T shackle reversal, RS9000x's,35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.
'83 Scrambler: time & money pit under construction with parts from CJ's,YJ's,TJ's,FSJ's,GM,Ford,IH,Honda,Toyota and a whole lotta aftermarket & custom stuff.
http://www.jeepskate.net
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
burtonsnowman
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Elk, WA.
Posts: 309
Hey, thanks! Anyone else have some input?
__________________
- Red '84 CJ-7 - I'll build it someday! I have the parts, but no shop and no time! :(
- Black '78 J-10 - rollin' on 37s and SOA with front/rear Detroits, high-steer, etc.
- Green '93 ZJ - Crusty old PARTS-GIVER TO THE CJ!
"Six in a row makes it go"
...and a driveway full of Subarus...
burtonsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
jpfaris
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: York, South Carolina
Posts: 556
when talking about srs and lift, i caution you to keep your pinion angle and castor angle in mind. also, make sure you know if your going to run a cv shaft so you can determine your pinion angle. If you do plan on building in lift with your srs, you have to plan what you will do with the rear to get the extra lift. (blocks, springs)
__________________
79 CJ7, 304, TF727, D300, FULL WIDTH D44's, 4.56:1, SPOOL LOCKERS, SOA, OUTBOARDED, SHACKLES REVERSED, HOMEMADE D-SHAFTS, 38.5" BOGGERS
jpfaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.