CJ-7, 4.2L. Ran Out of Gas and Now Won't Run?!?!... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-7, 4.2L. Ran Out of Gas and Now Won't Run?!?!...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

did you check all of your vacuum lines for leaks? the timing? fuel pressure? or you could have a really weird ignition module.

Unread 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #32
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You did not answer my idle mixture screw question.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #33
dvzant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
You did not answer my idle mixture screw question.
Ok, I think I have it now!!! I took the carb off again and tore it down just to be sure. I paid particular attention to the mixture screws, ran a wire through any hole I could fine and shot carb cleaner through everything. When I put it back on I opened the mixture screws out 5 turns from closed.
It may be a bit too much fuel now and I may have to dial it back but I'm just happy it's idling. I'll need to re-time it and then I'll fine tune the mixture screws.

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone was a big help! If nothing else, I know more about this BBD carb.
dvzant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
dvzant

Update: I got the Jeep dialed in and it passed smog!!

I described my headaches to my mechanic/smog tech and he described a trick that sometimes work for him in similar circumstances.
He said to rev the engine pretty high and close the choke flap until the engine is about to die. Open the flat while still giving it gas so it revs back up quickly. That will sometimes dislodge blockages.

I figure that everyone was able to give me a lot of advice... Maybe that bit of advice with help someone else out....
dvzant is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.