JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   CJ-7, 4.2L. Ran Out of Gas and Now Won't Run?!?!... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj-7-4-2l-ran-out-gas-now-wont-run-1469918/)

dvzant 01-27-2013 04:34 PM

CJ-7, 4.2L. Ran Out of Gas and Now Won't Run?!?!...

I have a 1982 CJ7 with a 4.2L and a Carter carb. To top it off I'm in California and have to deal with the smog stuff.

After a LONG battle with the vacuum lines and electronics I finally had everything running well and was LITERALLY driving to the smog check place. I made it about a mile and it started sputtering. I was able to make it back home and found that it ran out of gas.

The Jeep will start and stay running if I continue to pump the pedal. As soon as it gets below 2500 RPM (give or take (no tach)) it bogs and dies unless I pump the gas pedal. The weird thing is that if I spray starting fluid into the carb it will continue to run at somewhat normal idle.

I've put fuel in the tank. I've checked the carb and it is squirting fuel with I push the gas. I replaced the fuel filter and the spark plugs but nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm doing everything I can to keep from throwing wrenches.

86cj74.2L 01-27-2013 05:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Check your idle tubes.

Their in the Venturi cluster. The first picture is the Venturi cluster looking at it from the bottom.

The second picture are the emulsion tubes that get clogged with dirt. Run a stiff wire threw them and make sure carb cleaner shoots through them

dvzant 01-27-2013 06:47 PM

I pulled those out and cleaned them out as suggested.... nope. Any other possibilities?

skizriz 01-27-2013 06:54 PM

What fuel filter did you put on it?
I put a Fram on mine once and it wouldn't run with it. Switched back to a NAPA Gold, and everything was fine.

dvzant 01-27-2013 07:07 PM

For the fuel filter I bought a universal one at Autozone. It was the same thing that was on there already. I'm assuming it's a universal filter.

86cj74.2L 01-27-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvzant
For the fuel filter I bought a universal one at Autozone. It was the same thing that was on there already. I'm assuming it's a universal filter.

You should have the factory 3 port filter.

You may need to pull the needle and seat and look for dirt.

dvzant 01-27-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L (Post 14864056)
You should have the factory 3 port filter.

You may need to pull the needle and seat and look for dirt.

The filter is the three port; on in, two out.

For the carb... I removed the top half of the carb to get the venturis out but I didn't remove any of the floats or anything like that. I was hoping to avoid it but I might remove the whole carb and tear it down tomorrow. The frustrating (and confusing) things is that I just had the carb rebuilt by someone that knows more than me.

Eric_B_1984 01-27-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvzant (Post 14864101)
The filter is the three port; on in, two out.

For the carb... I removed the top half of the carb to get the venturis out but I didn't remove any of the floats or anything like that. I was hoping to avoid it but I might remove the whole carb and tear it down tomorrow. The frustrating (and confusing) things is that I just had the carb rebuilt by someone that knows more than me.

With my Grand Wagoneer with the same filter, I was driven COMPLETELY insane for 3 months. A mechanic actually had it for almost 2 weeks to no avail. The 3rd port has to be up, and the filter needs to be as level as possible. If the return line is down, the fuel pump, pumps right back into the tank.

dvzant 01-27-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric_B_1984 (Post 14864154)
With my Grand Wagoneer with the same filter, I was driven COMPLETELY insane for 3 months. A mechanic actually had it for almost 2 weeks to no avail. The 3rd port has to be up, and the filter needs to be as level as possible. If the return line is down, the fuel pump, pumps right back into the tank.

Yes, I already went through that one early in my project. I do have the return port (3rd port) up.

Eric_B_1984 01-27-2013 07:57 PM

Hey, figured I would offer that. After 3 months, multiple mechanics going "I dunno" I posted similar symptoms on here, and had it fixed in under an hour.

86cj74.2L 01-27-2013 08:06 PM

When you had the top of the carb off was their gas in the float bowl?

pman 01-27-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L (Post 14864427)

Took the words right out of my mouth!

86cj74.2L 01-27-2013 08:09 PM

Look for a post called "2/3 carb" or something close to that. John ran his BBD with the top off and you can see the proper float height.

86cj74.2L 01-27-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pman

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Did I taste beer?

dvzant 01-27-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L (Post 14864446)
Look for a post called "2/3 carb" or something close to that. John ran his BBD with the top off and you can see the proper float height.

I searched for that post and couldn't find it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L (Post 14864427)

There was gas in the float bowl. I don't know enough to say weather or not the float height is correct but the fact that it was running fine before would suggest that the float was fine.

PS - Thanks for all the advice/suggestions... Keep them coming. I'll probably end up with the carb off tomorrow so any and all pointers are appreciated.

The time now is 07:47 AM.