CJ-5 won't start - complete novice - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-5 won't start - complete novice

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #46
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Lock'n gas cap on a jeep is a joke.
I can cut the exposed filler hose inside your fender-well, then insert a garden hose and your gas is now mine.
LG

I don't doubt it's easy. But it doesn't seem to happen very often around here. Anyway, you'd have to get past my dog. He's actually friendly but he barks viciously when people approach the house. Scares the hell out of them. If they only knew that as soon as they got up to him he'd just lick them.

I mean, I do live in the city. Crime happens. But according to the neighborhood newsletter it's outright car theft, breaking in to steal radios, computers, money. I've never seen gasatheft.

sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #47
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Not if Jen pops a cap in your fat hairy arse from her back window.
Ha! Yes, I do have a couple handguns.

But he'd get away with it because I'd have to get them out the safe first. Then load them. He'd be long gone before I could remember the combination to the safe.
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #48
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,152
Do you know what kind of electronic ignition it is?

I am figuring when the starter got stuck in the flywheel, it turned into a generator back feeding through the fender solenoid keeping the coil and ignition turned on until you stalled it out.

That was the high speed noise you heard, the starter spinning at engine speed.

From that I am now thinking either the solenoid is toast or the ignition module is toast.

The jumper to the coil or the volt test to the coil when the starter is turning will eliminate the solenoid as the problems or ID it as the problem.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #49
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 4,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Not if Jen pops a cap in your fat hairy arse from her back window.
My point was, that a lock'n gas cap on a CJ can cost you more than it saves(cut filler hose and maybe a broken filler hose fitting on your tank).
Lets hope her gas tank doesn't have a leak.
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #50
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Do you know what kind of electronic ignition it is?

I am figuring when the starter got stuck in the flywheel, it turned into a generator back feeding through the fender solenoid keeping the coil and ignition turned on until you stalled it out.

That was the high speed noise you heard, the starter spinning at engine speed.

From that I am now thinking either the solenoid is toast or the ignition module is toast.

The jumper to the coil or the volt test to the coil when the starter is turning will eliminate the solenoid as the problems or ID it as the problem.
OK, that makes sense.

Can I do the jumper/hot wire test in the rain? I can prop the bonnet up to sort of shield the bay from the rain.

Also, let me repeat back to you to make sure I understand:

The jumper test/hot wires is where I connect the battery (+) to the coil (+) and see if it starts. If it starts we know current is going through the solenoid and also through the coil. Therefore the solenoid is not the problem. If it doesn't start that means the solenoid is not passing the current.

The volt test to the coil when starter is turning is where I have the voltmeter with black on battery (-) and red on coil (+) and someone, like my husband, tries to start the engine. If the voltmeter shows 6-12 volts then it means the solenoid is passing the current through to the coil. However, since the engine won't start it means the current isn't going further than the coil. If the voltmeter does not show voltage then it means the solenoid is not passing the current.

These two things effectively troubleshoot the solenoid and are equivalent methods of doing so.
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #51
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
My point was, that a lock'n gas cap on a CJ can cost you more than it saves(cut filler hose and maybe a broken filler hose fitting on your tank).
Lets hope her gas tank doesn't have a leak.
LG
Wouldn't I smell that?
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #52
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 4,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbyATL View Post
Wouldn't I smell that?
Rain/wet can mask it some.
Look for what looks like oil slick colors on the ground.
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #53
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Rain/wet can mask it some.
Look for what looks like oil slick colors on the ground.
LG

Well, it was dry yesterday and I didn't notice it.

Also, my driveway is gravel so it's not easy to spot stuff like that.

When I bought it on Saturday I drove it around a lot. I even parked it for a while so my son and his friend could jump down at a diner and grab dinner. I sat in it waiting for them for about 30 minutes. I didn't see anything on the pavement when we left.

It's not impossible, though. Right now it's out in the driveway. It's raining. But the gravel under the Jeep should be dry. If it's not I'll know the Jeep is leaking.
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #54
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Bone dry. No gas smell.
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #55
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbyATL View Post

OK, that makes sense.

Can I do the jumper/hot wire test in the rain? I can prop the bonnet up to sort of shield the bay from the rain.

Also, let me repeat back to you to make sure I understand:

The jumper test/hot wires is where I connect the battery (+) to the coil (+) and see if it starts. If it starts we know current is going through the solenoid and also through the coil. Therefore the solenoid is not the problem. If it doesn't start that means the solenoid is not passing the current.
The jumper bypasses the solenoid. If it starts with the jumper, you need a new solenoid. If not, need to check ignition module for spark at the plugs.

Quote:
The volt test to the coil when starter is turning is where I have the voltmeter with black on battery (-) and red on coil (+) and someone, like my husband, tries to start the engine. If the voltmeter shows 6-12 volts then it means the solenoid is passing the current through to the coil. However, since the engine won't start it means the current isn't going further than the coil. If the voltmeter does not show voltage then it means the solenoid is not passing the current.

These two things effectively troubleshoot the solenoid and are equivalent methods of doing so.
Right if it won't fire with the jumper, you need to do the spark plug test to see if the ignition module got damaged.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #56
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The jumper bypasses the solenoid. If it starts with the jumper, you need a new solenoid. If not, need to check ignition module for spark at the plugs.



Right if it won't fire with the jumper, you need to do the spark plug test to see if the ignition module got damaged.
Ok, I tried the jumper. Nothing. A little sizzle then a very small knock noise but nothing even like when I turn the key and it turns.
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #57
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Oh, I'm not 100% sure of this is the electronic ignition but in the folder of receipts I find a receipt from Je
High Performance for a "Mopar ign box-hired 7500".
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #58
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 4,834
Confirm, the engine turns-over as a normal engine would.
Disconnect the fuel line at the filter, and insert hose in an empty bottle. Crank engine and does fuel squirt out and fill the bottle?
BE CAREFUL!
'Sizzle' is bad connection. 'Knock' is an attemp to 'fire'.
Re-check connection and try again.
You sure your on the (+) side of the coil?
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #59
sabbyATL
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Confirm, the engine turns-over as a normal engine would.
Disconnect the fuel line at the filter, and insert hose in an empty bottle. Crank engine and does fuel squirt out and fill the bottle?
BE CAREFUL!
LG

No, sorry. When I turn the key the engine turns but doesn't fire. So I get the R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r. Endlessly until I drain the battery (like I did yesterday).

So, today, I can still do that - turn the key and listen to the engine turn but not fire.

When I did the jump test I basically got nothing. A little spark/sizzle from the wires touching the (+) ends. Twice a got a soft little knock, but I am not even 100% sure that knock sound came from the engine. Afterall, I was outside.
sabbyATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #60
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbyATL View Post

Ok, I tried the jumper. Nothing. A little sizzle then a very small knock noise but nothing even like when I turn the key and it turns.
The jumper just gives power to the ignition, you still need to use the key to start it.. :-)
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.