CJ-5 Tailgates - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2003, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
thunderkiss_66

CJ-5 Tailgates

I know this has been handled before to some degree, but now I can't find the threads(mostly because of VB's word count search pre-requisite) so I'll ask again. What is the deal with CJ-5 tailgates? Mostly what I can tell is pre-'76 they have them, post-'76 they don't. Correct me if I'm wrong. The deal is I want a CJ-5. I don't want a CJ-7. But I want a tailgate. Now I know that prior to the mid '70s the spare tire was mounted on the passenger side, not on the rear, which made a downward folding tailgate possible, but I've seen some stock CJ photos made prior to '76 which show the spare mounted on the rear of the vehicle, presumably with no tailgate. Can someone clear up this whole tailgate mess for me? Were they originally an option which eventually went away, or are there certain years which are guaranteed to have them. On a similar note, whats up with roll bars? Some older jeeps have them ( I saw a '67 the other day with a seemingly factory one) but others even up into the '70s don't have them at all. Way too confusing. Can anyone help?

2002 TJ SE
Sienna w/ Tan Soft Top
5-Speed
Daily Driver

1943 Willys MB
Multi Color Rust/White/Blue/Black/Olive
No Top
STILL RUNS!!

BROWN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1

"Does dirt count as an accessory?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-10-2003, 08:58 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I have a 1976 CJ5 with a tail gate.
What are you basing your assumptions on?

The tailgate I have though, looks more like a 1975, so it could be a leftover.

CertifiableJeep
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'76 ORANGE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #3 of 7 Old 08-10-2003, 11:26 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I know that at least from 76 on up (and may be as far back as 72 but I am positive that at least from 76) CJ-5 body styles with and without the tailgate were available. I had a 76 Cj-5 with the tailgate and side mounted spare. When I bought my 1980 model a choice was available from the factory but I bought late in that year and the dealer only had solid rear panel models on the lot. I should have gone to another dealer but instead settled for the solid rear panel and have regretted that decision since. It is such a pain to even remove the back seat or to load items into the rear cargo area. In fact, I have been tempeted to buy a tailgate and necessary factory hinges, etc. and have a body and fender shop cut out the solid rear panel and install a tailgate. One plus I guess is that the solid rear panel does make for a stronger body.

So the answer to your question is yes, late CJ-5's could be had with a tail gate and if I were you, I would look for one with a tailgate then install a swing away spare tire carrier.

Last edited by 80cj; 08-10-2003 at 01:54 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-10-2003, 11:33 PM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I say dump the tailgate, cut out the solid panet, mount a pre-runner type spare tire carrier in place of the rear seat and be done with it

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2003, 07:20 PM
jeffs77CJ5

I have two CJ 5's, both are 1977's. One has a tailgate the other doesn't.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-16-2003, 07:24 AM
bernie

As aforementioned--
Cut out the panel, and fit in a tailgate.
That's what I did on my 82 CJ5.
I wanted a tailgate, so I put one in.
Used ones aren't much.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2003, 03:15 PM
travr6

76' witha tailgate.

Sorry to stray but Y do you NOT want a 7? What is the advantage of a 5 over a 7? the only difference in the wheelbase isn't it? Also the U opening and a 7 is a little longer. Just wondering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.