CJ-5 Tailgates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-5 Tailgates

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
thunderkiss_66

CJ-5 Tailgates

I know this has been handled before to some degree, but now I can't find the threads(mostly because of VB's word count search pre-requisite) so I'll ask again. What is the deal with CJ-5 tailgates? Mostly what I can tell is pre-'76 they have them, post-'76 they don't. Correct me if I'm wrong. The deal is I want a CJ-5. I don't want a CJ-7. But I want a tailgate. Now I know that prior to the mid '70s the spare tire was mounted on the passenger side, not on the rear, which made a downward folding tailgate possible, but I've seen some stock CJ photos made prior to '76 which show the spare mounted on the rear of the vehicle, presumably with no tailgate. Can someone clear up this whole tailgate mess for me? Were they originally an option which eventually went away, or are there certain years which are guaranteed to have them. On a similar note, whats up with roll bars? Some older jeeps have them ( I saw a '67 the other day with a seemingly factory one) but others even up into the '70s don't have them at all. Way too confusing. Can anyone help?

Daily Driver

1943 Willys MB
Multi Color Rust/White/Blue/Black/Olive
No Top
[b]STILL RUNS!![/b]

[b][color=darkred]BROWN[/color] JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1[/b]

"Does dirt count as an accessory?"
thunderkiss_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 07:58 AM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I have a 1976 CJ5 with a tail gate.
What are you basing your assumptions on?

The tailgate I have though, looks more like a 1975, so it could be a leftover.

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I know that at least from 76 on up (and may be as far back as 72 but I am positive that at least from 76) CJ-5 body styles with and without the tailgate were available. I had a 76 Cj-5 with the tailgate and side mounted spare. When I bought my 1980 model a choice was available from the factory but I bought late in that year and the dealer only had solid rear panel models on the lot. I should have gone to another dealer but instead settled for the solid rear panel and have regretted that decision since. It is such a pain to even remove the back seat or to load items into the rear cargo area. In fact, I have been tempeted to buy a tailgate and necessary factory hinges, etc. and have a body and fender shop cut out the solid rear panel and install a tailgate. One plus I guess is that the solid rear panel does make for a stronger body.

So the answer to your question is yes, late CJ-5's could be had with a tail gate and if I were you, I would look for one with a tailgate then install a swing away spare tire carrier.

Last edited by 80cj; 08-10-2003 at 12:54 PM..
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I say dump the tailgate, cut out the solid panet, mount a pre-runner type spare tire carrier in place of the rear seat and be done with it

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
jeffs77CJ5

I have two CJ 5's, both are 1977's. One has a tailgate the other doesn't.
jeffs77CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 06:24 AM   #6
bernie

As aforementioned--
Cut out the panel, and fit in a tailgate.
That's what I did on my 82 CJ5.
I wanted a tailgate, so I put one in.
Used ones aren't much.
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 02:15 PM   #7
travr6

76' witha tailgate.

Sorry to stray but Y do you NOT want a 7? What is the advantage of a 5 over a 7? the only difference in the wheelbase isn't it? Also the U opening and a 7 is a little longer. Just wondering.
travr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.