cj 5 rolling the rear axle back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj 5 rolling the rear axle back

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-14-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
cj5DOTcom

cj 5 rolling the rear axle back

i need every inch i can get for a driveshaft,
ive come to the point where it would be best if i
could move the axle back a couple/few inches
ive seen 4 but dont know how or what they used
to do it
does anyone know how to do this Thanks Randall

cj5DOTcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
OKJeepin

I removed my rear bumper, removed the rear crossmember, built a rear bumper out of 3.5" x 3.5" square tubing, mounted it to my frame rails with 1/4"x2x4" angle iron with 4 grade 8 bolts and welds on each side. I ran up the frame rails about 12" with the angle iron to make it as sturdy as I could because what your doing is extending the frame. Then I removed the fuel tank and installed a fuel cell in the bed, because when you move the axle back, the pumpkin will hit the tank unless you slide it back also.
Then you have to remove the spring hangers and move them back, I mounted my rear ones on the bumper, hence all the work on the bumper. Remember that all the weight will be riding on the bumper, so it needs to be an extension of the frame. All thats left is the driveshaft, the e-brake and regular brake lines need to be extended. Oh yeah, gotta move the shock mounts and bump stops. Also the front spring hangers will only go back about 3-4" before they get to the upswing in the frame, so if you go farther than that you have to build a support (or wedge) to level them.
I ended up with 7.5" more wheelbase but it'll take a while to do it, and I wouldn't suggest it for a daily driver, but for a hardcore offroad rig it's great. Oh yeah, you also gotsta cut out them rear wheel openings. And it's all got to be straight, so measure, measure, measure before you weld!
Whole lotta work, but it's worth it.
Unread 06-14-2003, 11:58 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

You haven't told us what your project is, but is it possable to move your drivetrain forward? I did this when I installed my T18a and didn't have to do any driveline mods. Just a thought.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 06:31 AM   #4
cj5DOTcom

im putting a 350 /t350 into a cj 5
if i use an elec fan for the radiator, i can move the motor
forward around 5 inches(i only have around 5 inches now
between the transfer case and rear axle...so every inch counts
Unread 06-16-2003, 02:30 PM   #5
kev1

Would this help?
http://www.4xshaft.com/

They have a shorty double CV.

http://www.eacci.com/framelift.gif

Frame painted with a Rough Country 2.5" lift and shocks installed.
Alot of money spent on parts that are all over including a new 258.
kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally posted by cj5DOTcom
im putting a 350 /t350 into a cj 5
if i use an elec fan for the radiator, i can move the motor
forward around 5 inches(i only have around 5 inches now
between the transfer case and rear axle...so every inch counts
i only know of one CJ5 with a fullsize auto in it and it doesnt go offroad. actually its sitting on stock springs with a transfercase drop installed to help with the angles even with a CV rear.

my point, swap in a manual or buy a CJ7 to swap the th350 into. trying to put an auto into a CJ5 is like sticking a square peg into the round hole.
Unread 06-17-2003, 12:56 PM   #7
cj5DOTcom

so what you are saying is...if i have a big enough hammer,
anything will work...
in reality i redrilled the center hole in the springs and rebolted
them, then made a little longer shackles and still working on moving the engine forward...i should have around 13"
The tom woods d/s looked like what i need but for $400, ill see
what the local shop says

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.