CJ-5 Rear Axle Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-5 Rear Axle Upgrade

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
haplo81
1981 CJ5 

CJ-5 Rear Axle Upgrade

Hi,
I have a 1981 CJ-5 with a narrow track open model 20 axle. I am looking at upgrading my model 20 stock axle with a new G2 AMC 20 One Piece Rear Axle Kit and a PowerTrax No-Slip Traction System. Has anyone made an upgrade like this? If so how is it working for you. Any thoughts?

One more question. Could anyone direct me or tell me how to rewire the stock reverse lights so that when I put the transmission in reverse the reverse lights come on. Years ago the switch on the transmission shorted and I just unplugged them from the switch. Over the years the wires have dissapeared from the transmission. I just need to know where the wires go. I know one side goes to the the transmission switch. Thanks!!!

haplo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

The one piece axle kit will serve you well. You might not like the behavior of the powertrax on the road. The Detroit soft locker or an actuated Locker (ected, ox, arb, etc...) would be better for a daily driver. These are all full case lockers and are more $$ for sure.
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

I'd personally spend an extra $20-$40 over what the G2 axles cost and get a set from Yukon or Superior (or Moser for a little more than that) G2 is just the rebranded Genuine Gear brand and Gen-u-whine didnt exactly have a great track record (now I'm sure 5 people will chime in about how great their Genuine stuff is). But the superior, yukon, and moser products have great track records and most people on here swear by them (myself included)
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
haplo81
1981 CJ5 

I am going to go ahead and spend the extra money for the Superior Axle kit. Do they come with all the seals and bearings needed? I have looked at the Detroit locker and you are right they are $$. The type of driving I do is street when in the city and since I live in the desert I do a lot of hauling a$$ down dirt and sand roads. Some sand hills and rock trails but not any large scale crawling or mudding. I only have a 2' lift and a 4cyl 151 engine so i think a detroit locker may be overkill for what i do. When you say daily driver, are you talking street or offroad use? The Jeep is also my second vehicle so i don't drive it daily.
haplo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

any good 1pc axle kit will come with all the bearings needed. if you arent driving a lot on the street then go with a locker...you can probably replace your spider gears with a lunchbox locker and that'll be plenty... the 151 isnt powerful enough to justify needing a beefier locker back there. plus the lunchbox lockers (aussie, lock-rite, etc) are a lot cheaper and dont require resetting the gears
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.