CJ-5 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-5 questions

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-27-2002, 10:51 PM   #1
TonyTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

CJ-5 questions

Earlier today I went to look at a '78 CJ-5. The gut is asking $5000 for it and I thought I would ask you guys what you think about it. Here's what it has:
5.0L TPI V8 out of an '89 IROC-Z(Didn't catch the miles on it)
T-18 5-speed tranny
Dana 44 axles front and rear with a 4:27-1 ratio
ARB air locker in the front
and a 4wd hardware fiberglass tub and fenders
Here's what it looks like it needs:
New shocks, springs, exhaust, top and doors and all new interior.
Thanks for your input.

'12 WK2 Limited QTII 5.7L 730N Black with Light Ash Interior.

2004 GTO
404 rwhp / 396 rwtq
TonyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2002, 01:01 AM   #2
Hippo393

Interior?! I thought there was no such thing as a Jeep interior--especially in a '78 .

Call/go back and inquire on the following:
*miles on engine swap
*REASON for engine swap
*history of vehicle (type of use, like "daily driver", and/or "off-road", rolls, etc.)
*Miles per gallon (V8 might get you 12)
*Smog pass or not? (this could be a big headache)
*Reason for selling
*Ask what the bottom end for it is. If they're a wheeler and dealer, they'll know that that means "what's the lowest you'll go on this beast". And if they ARE a wh. & de., they're there to turn a profit and they likely only had the title for 2 months. Buyer beware!

How mechanically inclined are you? If at all possible, bring a mechanic with you on a test drive. Test drive it and report your findings here. $5G's seems high despite the cool parts. The owner will no doubt claim that the parts are easily worth the price, but don't be fooled. He'd be parting it out if that was the case (just ask resident expert 4Wheeler4CJ!). Bottom line is that it'll cost you at least 1G to fix what's lacking, and you'll end up with $6 - 7Gs into it.

Calculate the $$ it would cost you in parts and labor to fix what you think's wrong, and deduct it from the asking price. There'll always be something else in need of fixin' that doesn't show up on the test drive (especially on a '78). From this owner's cursory standpoint, I'd offer $3,200. They might laugh at first but then they'll counter with $4200 and the haggling commences! That's the fun part!!

Don't forget to ask about smog. If it failed, that's a good reason for the guy to sell! Check the registration expiration date on the sticker on the rear plate, and match that up with how long the Jeep's been on the market. Good luck and let us know!!!
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.