cj-5 hard top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj-5 hard top?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-05-2002, 05:54 AM   #1
HEYWOOD

cj-5 hard top?

does anyone know of a maker of hardtops for cj-5's?the winter wheeling is great but a hard top would be nice.i have seen a few homemade jobbies but no real good ones.

Unread 07-05-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

To my knowledge no one makes them anymore /Acme used to make them but I do belive they have quit production . I have a cj 5 top and doors by Acme if you want to see what they look like .Thanks ,Greg
Unread 07-06-2002, 02:29 AM   #3
HEYWOOD

thanks greg-i would like to see the pictures.where do i find them?getting the hard top is aways down the road but if i find one sooner......
thanks,Ted
Unread 07-06-2002, 07:10 AM   #4
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I emailed ya a pic let me know if you want any others .Sorry I only had the one in the system .
Unread 07-06-2002, 06:44 PM   #5
tonyxjyj

Just a thought would a half cab (like they make for the srambler work? you would have to fab. your own doors though. might look cool?! has anybody done this?
tonyxjyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2002, 04:09 AM   #6
HEYWOOD

hey,thanks greg.that top doesn't look bad at all.the others i have seen were very square and rough looking.you said acme used to make them?if they don't have a web site do you possibly have an address or phone #?thanks again for the help.
Unread 07-07-2002, 09:58 AM   #7
jrejle

I think there is a company called AJ's in New Jersey that sells them. If you have a pre-76 CJ5 I heard that you can buy a windshield frame for a 76 or newer CJ5 and the hardtop will work. I think there in the neighborhood of 2500.00 though.
Jim
jrejle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
bkidd72
1979 CJ5 

i just got done looking at one on this website...http://aj.testing.chilitech.net/disp...p.aspx?gid=152
bkidd72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxjyj
Just a thought would a half cab (like they make for the srambler work? you would have to fab. your own doors though. might look cool?! has anybody done this?
They made half cabs for 5's. They are rare, but they did make them. Saw one go on e-bay a couple weeks ago for over a grand.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
John Brereton

The half cabs was actually a steel top that was welded on. It was offered in the early 60s I believe.

I made a CJ5 hard top by cutting a CJ7 hard top down. You want to get one of the tops that is single wall. I took about 10" out of the middle. I also took CJ7 (or YJ?) fiberglass doors and cut the bottoms to fit my 5. It's far from perfect but neither is my 5. I still have some tweaking to do before next winter comes around. To do something like this, you want to find a damaged one that someone will give away. That keeps the investment down.

It wasn't too hard but it was a lot of work.
258 with TFI /T18 /D18 drive train with Saturn O.D.
33 x 12 DC Mud Country Radials
John Brereton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brereton
The half cabs was actually a steel top that was welded on. It was offered in the early 60s I believe.

I made a CJ5 hard top by cutting a CJ7 hard top down. You want to get one of the tops that is single wall. I took about 10" out of the middle. I also took CJ7 (or YJ?) fiberglass doors and cut the bottoms to fit my 5. It's far from perfect but neither is my 5. I still have some tweaking to do before next winter comes around. To do something like this, you want to find a damaged one that someone will give away. That keeps the investment down.

It wasn't too hard but it was a lot of work.
The half cab I saw was a removable. Worked just like a CJ8 top. Also, can you post some pics of your modified top?
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
earlycj5

Early CJ-5 steel full and half cabs are removable. If it was welded on it wasn't originally that way.

There's also a few Early 5 fiberglass tops out there, had one, wish I still had it. :roll:

For later CJ-5's watch E-bay, there was an ACME 1/2 cab a couple months ago. Some full tops more commonly.
Unread 12-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
oldschoolcj5
1976 CJ5 

theres a company called rally tops that still make them
www.rallytops.com
oldschoolcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

That is a pretty good price for a brand new hardtop.

The most common used hardtop I see are the old Meyer ones. Note: they were a dealer option for the pre-76 CJ5s. Post-76 CJ5s did not come with a hardtop from the dealer, and have a different windsheild and it takes some tinkering to get them to fit correctly. The ACME ones are also pretty common. They look much more modern then the Meyer ones, but the windows are fixed.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkidd72 View Post

i just got done looking at one on this website...http://aj.testing.chilitech.net/disp...p.aspx?gid=152
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcj5 View Post

You two deserve this for your "search" effort.

You all brought this thread back from the dead...and then some!!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.