CJ-5 Budget Rebuild-"Lulu" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-5 Budget Rebuild-"Lulu"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #61
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks David! It's driving me nuts not being able to work on it (sitting in a freakin' airport right now...as usual). I'm itchin' to start on the interior. I'm still blown away at how well yours has been coming together. You've done some serious welding/fab'ing! I haven't seen an update lately. You taking a break?

82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #62
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Worked on the windshield and also figured I'd better "cut n buff" the paint before it ended up rock hard. Did anyone know it's hot outside? I'm about ready to pass out, so I've stopped until tonight when I'll paint the windshield black.

The PO also painted the windshield black, but used a "textured" finish. The frame had plenty of rust. This was a pain and took nearly all day Saturday. If I had to do it over I think I'd just buy a new frame (especially since I think this one wasn't original).

I used aviation paint stripper, and finished it off with an air grinder with a gasket remover pad which worked perfect!

Now this Is one of the neatest tricks I've ever heard of! I had some very bad "runs/sags" in the clear on the drivers side due to poor lighting and needed to sand them out. I read about the "razor blade" trick, and it worked perfectly. I almost had fun scraping this stuff off!

And finally did a little wet sanding and compounding. The heat about killed me at this point. Time for a beer.

Unread 07-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #63
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Waiting on the windshield frame paint! Drink some water and get back to work.

Razor blade is a cool trick, and it buffed out great.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #64
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Waiting on the windshield frame paint! Drink some water and get back to work.
I tried to, Skipper, but couldn't pry myself out of the chair. About to get back at it, though!
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #65
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I tried to, Skipper, but couldn't pry myself out of the chair. About to get back at it, though!
Seriously, you be careful!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #66
1983 CJ7 

Outstanding job

Unread 07-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #67
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks 243! Btw, that "racing" bumper is now at the scrapyard.
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #68
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

"Brown" stopped by today and left this on the front porch:

And probably the only "budget" part of my work on this Jeep occurred tonight. Got the windshield frame painted, let it cure then hauled it to the auto glass shop this morning to get the new windshield installed. As I started putting the various parts back on it this evening, I noticed how nasty the cowl seal really was (rubber wasn't terribly bad, but had old Maaco paint, rust stains, etc all on it). Then it hit me that I had a spare cowl seal stashed away in the garage (for the YJ)! All I had to do was cut holes for the defrost vents on the bottom. So finally, something I didn't have to buy!
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #69
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:

And probably the only "budget" part of my work on this Jeep occurred tonight. Got the windshield frame painted, let it cure then hauled it to the auto glass shop this morning to get the new windshield installed. As I started putting the various parts back on it this evening, I noticed how nasty the cowl seal really was (rubber wasn't terribly bad, but had old Maaco paint, rust stains, etc all on it). Then it hit me that I had a spare cowl seal stashed away in the garage (for the YJ)! All I had to do was cut holes for the defrost vents on the bottom. So finally, something I didn't have to buy!
WEENIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting on the pics of the black frame!! I will sit here until you post them.

Unread 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #70
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
WEENIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting on the pics of the black frame!! I will sit here until you post them.
Bwahahaha! No sooner did I post that, then I immediately saw you installed your own glass... I felt like a total wuss.
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #71
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Lulu is looking great love the color choice. Oh yeah and don't feel bad about the windshield, I also left mine to the pro's too (I have seen too many cracked while trying to install)
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #72
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Quote:

Such a Party Foul!! Those pics weren't on there when I posted earlier! Why are you sitting by yourself at the beach? Won't anybody play with you?

And C'mon... you know I'm waiting for a WS frame pic. What's with the teaser? I gotta know what to do next! It's hard keeping ahead of you.

You going with chrome headlight bezels, or black? It looks totally awesome. How did you fix the rust on the WS frame, or did you get a new one? I missed it... Sorry... sort of random thoughts!

Unread 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #73
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
Lulu is looking great love the color choice. Oh yeah and don't feel bad about the windshield, I also left mine to the pro's too (I have seen too many cracked while trying to install)
Thanks Twinstick! The color has grown on me, too. I like the contrast with the black. Regarding the windshield, I've read so many horror stories that I just leave it up to the pros on that one. However, if my chillins were a little older I'd pull a Skerr and put 'em to work. I think the wife beater Scott was wearing was what really helped.
Unread 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #74
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Such a Party Foul!! Those pics weren't on there when I posted earlier! Why are you sitting by yourself at the beach? Won't anybody play with you?

And C'mon... you know I'm waiting for a WS frame pic. What's with the teaser? I gotta know what to do next! It's hard keeping ahead of you.

You going with chrome headlight bezels, or black? It looks totally awesome. How did you fix the rust on the WS frame, or did you get a new one? I missed it... Sorry... sort of random thoughts!
Ha! My wife was ignoring me and I had my back to the ocean; kids were out of the shot probably peeing and pooping in that tidal pool

I TOTALLY forgot to get new bolts for the windshield bracket. The old allen heads were shot, so I bought new stainless ones today. And yes, I fixed the rust. I couldn't weld it without blowing more holes in the metal, so I used the waterproof fiberglass body filler. I used that on a hole in my YJ windshield and its lasted for 7 years now!!

I'm leaving the bezels chrome. I DO like how yours look, though..
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #75
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Ha! My wife was ignoring me and I had my back to the ocean; kids were out of the shot probably peeing and pooping in that tidal pool

I TOTALLY forgot to get new bolts for the windshield bracket. The old allen heads were shot, so I bought new stainless ones today. And yes, I fixed the rust. I couldn't weld it without blowing more holes in the metal, so I used the waterproof fiberglass body filler. I used that on a hole in my YJ windshield and its lasted for 7 years now!!

I'm leaving the bezels chrome. I DO like how yours look, though..
Whew! Mine's better'n yourn!

I like that fibergass filler material. I used it on my WS frame too. My neighbor (AJ) says it will be there when the Jeep turns into fertilizer! STILL... waiting on a FULL INSTALLED BLACK WS SHOT! You're worse than the dash I'm waiting on...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.