CJ-5 Budget Rebuild-"Lulu" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-5 Budget Rebuild-"Lulu"

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
It's pretty common to find fenders on CL too, but it sounds like tabs will be the simplest road. I am silently laughing, rolling on the floor, flopping into office chairs and cabinets, while I consider this build budget which you have increased by $500! You da man...

Bwahahah!! Maybe I should call this the Government Build. I'll just increasing the limits as I see fit, with no worry about long-term repurcussions!!!

82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Squeezed in an hour tonight which was long enough to install a new set of U Joints on the rear driveshaft of Turd Ferguson that will hopefully eliminate the driveline vibes I felt last Sunday when I took it out for a test drive.
I've got to stop beating myself up over this Jeep (literally). Wacked myself in the mouth with a wrench while laying under the 5. And that's not me with a bad lipstick job. That's blood that was all over my mouth when I crawled out from under the CJ.

Nothing exciting to report, but will say that the Shop Press once again proves it's worth. Pressing out U Joints takes no time at all!!! No more whacking on 'em with a hammer.
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Like I said before... you ain't holding your mouth right! Hope you still have all your teeth?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

So while the wife and kids are in Atlanta spending Spring Break visiting their grandparents, I figured I'd burn a vacation day and spend some quality Friday the 13th time with Turd Ferguson. Went out for a spin to see if my UJoint replacement solved my driveline vibration, and sadly, it was still there. I'll do some more investigating to see where the problem lies. But today was spent continuing to get the body ready for painting.

As mentioned, the PO hacked the front fenders and fenderwells to install TJ flares (even though he had no plans for large tires). I thought they looked heinous, so it's going back to original, with standard flares. Today I threw the front fenders on to check for fit, just to be sure i didn't need to hack on freshly painted steel. Fortunately, the Crown (technically it says "Cobra King" Made in Taiwan) fenders fit perfectly. I'm impressed. Sadly, the drivers side went back to Quadratec today since the gorillas at UPS threw it around enough to dent it in two spots. Here's a shot this morning with the fender on the front and the rear flare "mocked up" on the tub. Note the old TJ flare holes. I filled those in today.

Next I needed to address the rear tub hack job. I decided the best way to reinstall the flares as close to the original position would be to weld "tabs" in the opening to give them a lower mounting point. I know I'm overdoing the pictures here, so I'd better become a "supporting member" since I'm a bandwidth hog.

I clamped the flares in position, and found some old round magnets in the shop and put those on the backside of the wheel well to mark where to tabs needed to go.

Then I cut out small rectangular pieces of sheet metal, sprayed them with weld-thru primer, and tacked them on. By the way, I've found a metal cutting blade for the miter saw is a great way to quickly cut out pieces of sheet metal. Here's what I'm using:

Then I used a stepped drill bit to make the holes for the screws that will attach the flares to the tub:

Here is the finished product. Old holes are filled, and even though the flares are still a little high, it's close enough. I'm not putting this thing on Barrett-Jackson anytime soon, so it works for me. It should look much better once it's painted and all buttoned up.

I owe Pathkiller big time for telling me about the "welders spoon" trick. With that copper piece held behind the old holes, you can make short work of filling them in with the MIG.

On a side note, I removed the gas tank again to do this welding. I'm a wuss and didn't feel comfortable with hot splatter flying around by the tank. The good news is I can drop a tank in about 10 minutes now.

Skerr- I still have my teeth. Although I wish the wrench would have closed the gaps between toofuses, then all would be good.
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

VERY NICE pman!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Work on Turd Ferguson came to a screaching halt 2 weeks ago once the wife unit and kids came back from spring break. Then I was stuck traveling from Florida to Indiana. So even with perfect fishing weather today, the boat stayed parked and TF came rolling back out of the garage. My goal today was to finish up the topside welding so I can finish sanding it and lay the paint on before the weather gets too hot.

The CJ has a solid back, and there was no tire mount, so I needed to shore up the sheet metal back there for the spare tire carrier. Here it was when I started:

Here it is finished. I welded steel on the sides at the wheelwells to give me solid bracing to weld two more thick pieces of steel laterally across the rear. I drilled through the lateral pieces to bolt on the tire carrier and the braces are doing a good job of taking the weight. I'll reinforce it further if it appears to not be strong enough. Like the numbskull I am, I forgot to take pics of the tire carrier before i removed it.

Then it was time to chase more holes from the PO. I think that "Bojon" and I must have had similar PO's with all of the holes in the body. I never thought I'd get sick of running the welder, but I'm close to it now:

Oh, one final bonus. Checked the mail today and received my Montana Elk tag for this fall. Have a good friend who heads up security on a 55,000 acre ranch there and has invited me to come out this year. It's right smack up against the Yellowstone so it should be an incredible trip.
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman
Squeezed in an hour tonight which was long enough to install a new set of U Joints on the rear driveshaft of Turd Ferguson that will hopefully eliminate the driveline vibes I felt last Sunday when I took it out for a test drive.
I've got to stop beating myself up over this Jeep (literally). Wacked myself in the mouth with a wrench while laying under the 5. And that's not me with a bad lipstick job. That's blood that was all over my mouth when I crawled out from under the CJ.

Nothing exciting to report, but will say that the Shop Press once again proves it's worth. Pressing out U Joints takes no time at all!!! No more whacking on 'em with a hammer.
Haha that's kinda funny. It's not 'your' jeep until its made you bleed. You're lucky your 'jeep bite' didn't require 17 stitches like mine haha

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #23
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Haha that's kinda funny. It's not 'your' jeep until its made you bleed. You're lucky your 'jeep bite' didn't require 17 stitches like mine haha
Ha! Hope you posted some pics of that... Right before the fat lip, I got careless with the grinder (and didn't have on my gloves) and took out a nice 3 inch gash on my hand. Needless to say I looked like I had been in a UFC fight when visiting my customers the next week.
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #24
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Oh, one final bonus. Checked the mail today and received my Montana Elk tag for this fall. Have a good friend who heads up security on a 55,000 acre ranch there and has invited me to come out this year. It's right smack up against the Yellowstone so it should be an incredible trip.
I was going to offer to be your Sherpa, but if your accident prone... umm... I don't want to be mistaken for a 6X6!!

Unread 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Kerrdog- You'd look good over the fireplace!
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

your body work is looking great pman, I'm right in the middle of my rust repairs as well and I love seeing all these success stories on here. What do you mean when you say you stitched the patch in?

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledochawk View Post
your body work is looking great pman, I'm right in the middle of my rust repairs as well and I love seeing all these success stories on here. What do you mean when you say you stitched the patch in?
Thanks LDC! I would have no clue how to approach a good bit of this stuff without the help of members on this board (Ironworker/Pathkiller/Skerr have all been an influence on this).

What is meant by "stitching" is you are simply putting tack welds on the patch piece. Tack it in one spot, move a couple of inches over, tack again. You are doing this versus running a continuous bead to avoid applying too much heat to the panel. Get the sheet metal too hot and it will warp! So, you keep tacking the patch piece until it all becomes one big piece of metal. Take your time; I even shot compressed air on it to keep it cool. Then use an electric grinder to knock it down fairly smooth. I then follow that up with my air die grinder with a 36 or 40 grit pad and get it smoother, then spread waterproof filler on top, then sand! Good as new!

Let me know if you need more detail.
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #28
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

thanks for the explanation pman, I have been practicing a bit with sheet metal lately getting ready to start on my patches. I'll give this a try on some scrap and see how it works.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's exactly what I did! I used one of the old chopped up fenders from the CJ. It's surprisingly easy. Make sure you use solid wire (.023) and the shielding gas!!
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #30
Mackee
1977 CJ5 

TF is going to make you respect him/her. Have been laughing at this project. We all have a disease...love our Jeeps!
Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.