So while the wife and kids are in Atlanta spending Spring Break visiting their grandparents, I figured I'd burn a vacation day and spend some quality Friday the 13th time with Turd Ferguson. Went out for a spin to see if my UJoint replacement solved my driveline vibration, and sadly, it was still there. I'll do some more investigating to see where the problem lies. But today was spent continuing to get the body ready for painting.
As mentioned, the PO hacked the front fenders and fenderwells to install TJ flares (even though he had no plans for large tires). I thought they looked heinous, so it's going back to original, with standard flares. Today I threw the front fenders on to check for fit, just to be sure i didn't need to hack on freshly painted steel. Fortunately, the Crown (technically it says "Cobra King" Made in Taiwan) fenders fit perfectly. I'm impressed. Sadly, the drivers side went back to Quadratec today since the gorillas at UPS threw it around enough to dent it in two spots. Here's a shot this morning with the fender on the front and the rear flare "mocked up" on the tub. Note the old TJ flare holes. I filled those in today.
Next I needed to address the rear tub hack job. I decided the best way to reinstall the flares as close to the original position would be to weld "tabs" in the opening to give them a lower mounting point. I know I'm overdoing the pictures here, so I'd better become a "supporting member" since I'm a bandwidth hog.
I clamped the flares in position, and found some old round magnets in the shop and put those on the backside of the wheel well to mark where to tabs needed to go.
Then I cut out small rectangular pieces of sheet metal, sprayed them with weld-thru primer, and tacked them on. By the way, I've found a metal cutting blade for the miter saw is a great way to quickly cut out pieces of sheet metal. Here's what I'm using:
Then I used a stepped drill bit to make the holes for the screws that will attach the flares to the tub:
Here is the finished product. Old holes are filled, and even though the flares are still a little high, it's close enough. I'm not putting this thing on Barrett-Jackson anytime soon, so it works for me. It should look much better once it's painted and all buttoned up.
I owe Pathkiller big time for telling me about the "welders spoon" trick. With that copper piece held behind the old holes, you can make short work of filling them in with the MIG.
On a side note, I removed the gas tank again to do this welding. I'm a wuss and didn't feel comfortable with hot splatter flying around by the tank. The good news is I can drop a tank in about 10 minutes now.
Skerr- I still have my teeth. Although I wish the wrench would have closed the gaps between toofuses, then all would be good.