cj 4.0 stroker build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj 4.0 stroker build

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 11-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
jeepmanstancj7
1982 CJ7 

cj 4.0 stroker build

so my baby needs a new heart and up until a few days ago i was going to do a 4.0l head swap on to a rebuild 4.2 block, but i found a 4.0 l head on a good 4.0 block (or so he says) for cheap

now for what i have been reading since then i could, in theory, take the crank from my engine throw it in that block with new 4.0 l pistons and the 258coneting rods mill down the block to get the right quench height and i would have a 4.6L stroker i could throw a 4 brl carb on and drop right in to the cj for the price of rebuilding the 258 form the ground up... right

or am i missing something

thanks

o and id appreciate no one telling me to do flue injection if i build it its getting carbed

jeepmanstancj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

In theory yes your correct. Using a carb is a good idea since the FI route is a little finicky
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My brother has built a couple of these and swears by them. I have a 4.0 sitting in my garage waiting to do this, and twice I have gotten a cheap or free 258, but twice now CJ buddies have needed a cheap 258 to bring a dead rig back to life...

My project is now SBC powered so not sure if I will ever build a 4.6... Maybe.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
letchcore
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmanstancj7 View Post
so my baby needs a new heart and up until a few days ago i was going to do a 4.0l head swap on to a rebuild 4.2 block, but i found a 4.0 l head on a good 4.0 block (or so he says) for cheap

now for what i have been reading since then i could, in theory, take the crank from my engine throw it in that block with new 4.0 l pistons and the 258coneting rods mill down the block to get the right quench height and i would have a 4.6L stroker i could throw a 4 brl carb on and drop right in to the cj for the price of rebuilding the 258 form the ground up... right

or am i missing something

thanks

o and id appreciate no one telling me to do flue injection if i build it its getting carded
You will lose 50HP by going carb instead of FI. Not to mention all the other benifits of FI offroading but hey you seem to have it all figured out.
letchcore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

FI won't flood out on steep inclines, It automatically adjusts to elevation changes. I hated carbs offroad, they always seem to flood and bog down right when you need it the most.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
jeepmanstancj7
1982 CJ7 

im not going to have this thread turned into the your an idiot becuse u dont want FI bash fest, most people dont like carbs becuse they involve you learning how to tune them to get your rig to run right, besides i dont have rocks or trails that have hills on them we have mud and 8 months of the year losts of snow thats what i wheel in

thanks for the input tho
jeepmanstancj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Because they don't know how to tune them? No, it's because the fuel flows out of the bowls down the intake, nothing to do with tuning. Geez, well then, why not do the research, I found tons of internet write-ups on building a stroker motor.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 swap , cj7 , engine rebuild , stroker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.