cj-3a rear axle shaft upgrades (1 piece?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj-3a rear axle shaft upgrades (1 piece?)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

cj-3a rear axle shaft upgrades (1 piece?)

hello,
I have a 1951 cj-3a that I will be building for moderate trail use. I would like to keep the factory D44 housing, but upgrade rear shafts to something with a better spline count and a new carrier.

I plan on lockers and 33's and some pretty decent wheeling.

I am putting a scout 44 with disc brakes up front. I will be keeping the little flathead for now, I have always had a soft spot for the little guys.

If someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

dana 44 out of a postal jeep, heavy duty, same size and some have lockers
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
dana 44 out of a postal jeep, heavy duty, same size and some have lockers
Any place you know of sell just the shafts. I have the carrier and whatnot. Just looking for shafts for my freshly prepped housing

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Stephen_P
1986 CJ7 

herm the overdrive guy sells a full floating kit for the 44. You can buy just hte shafts or all the parts needed for the conversion.

That is probably the best or easiest option for that axle. I think you can also find some companies that will cut custom shafts but you will still probably need to go to a full floating axle.
I don't know of anyone that stills makes or sells a one piece axle upgrade for that offset dana 44.
Stephen_P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

1 piece shafts will never work in the 2 piece housing.
Either full float what you have, or look for the CJ 70-71 D44 1 piece axle assy.
The postals are centered pumpkin, and are not offset for the D18 transfer case.
but...it's your Jeep
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Just looked up herms kit. Seems like the way to go

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

The 70-71 CJ axle would be the way to go...if you can find one.
Dana 44 with a bigger housing and 1 piece 30 spline axles.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.